Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My story...introduction to prog.... and more...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy story...introduction to prog.... and more...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My story...introduction to prog.... and more...
    Posted: January 02 2008 at 19:25

Hello, (it seems there is no other place to post this but here in the prog. Music lounge, so here I go.) Confused

I would like to share with all of you something thats been on my mind for quite some time, and while I ask for your opinions and honesty please do not tell me like so many others, "to get my head out of the clouds."

Music, were do I begin? I guess I can start by saying it happened accidentally. It was really by chance I decided to really "listen" to music on a crumby ole' mp3 player just because I had gotten it as a present, (when I was very young.) The music I choose, I believe, was Star Wars, pure orchestra and symphony music. I loved it, I felt different, and it wasn't long I hit hard into Beethoven, Mozart, and other great classical artists. This was my first love and I was sure I wanted to conduct a symphony,  but the idea was still child's play in my mind, at the time. The music would slowly soak in from being one of my lower hobbies, to one of my greatest of all, and really things had yet to really heat up.

So what was my next big move? O yea... this is a big one, (sarcasm)..... ACDC!!! O yes, I know what your thinking, "This is a prog. website!" but my story is far from over. The band, although I still respect them today, is just a head banging delight, which is sometimes good, but besides the point... really I just liked energy, and I thought only loud ruff music could give me that. It wasn't long and I started listening to Led Zepplen, and they were in my opinion, not nearly as energetic, (at the time... I mean..... I was just a young kid, I didn't understand blues and jazz and the various styles.) Zep is still true to my heart today, but the real "inspiration" was yet to come.

I believe it was Jethro Tull. I knew many artists at the time, (mostly bands of the 80's) but when my dad suggested them, I said, "Jethro who!" I didn't take the music to likely at first, but they grew on me, along with other bands soon to come. The other big one was Pink Floyd, I knew I wanted "different" music, and on my own I had assumed they would give it to me. How rite I was. My love of Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull made me feel, "different," I mean at the time I thought, how many other people in the world could actually really LOVE this stuff as I now did. It turns out I was quite wrong, although I did know Pink Floyd was popular. So I slowly broadened my prog. knowledge, with bands like Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Rush, Can, Amon Duul, Kraftwerk, Camel, Caravan...etc. etc. etc. The list as you all know becomes far too long.

So this music, I found all by myself and really learned to love, and by this point, as several could have guest... I wanted to be part of it. By that I simply mean, I wanted to do this for the rest of my life. Play music, and express myself through it. Its been like that for some time now, and my motivation has been ski-hi. I've had some trouble though, various people telling me I can't be successful at what I do, and simply that im pretentious and "in the clouds." I mean, I listen to music almost non-stop and my room is filled with instruments and such. I now even have a huge vinlye album collection with classics such as Close to the Edge and Songs From the Wood and god knows how many more.

Really though everything everyone tells me, while it is unwanted, has never made me feel different about myself or the music I love. I play the drums, and play the literally from the moment I get home to the moment I go to bed. I also play the Hammond-organ and its just a brilliant time. I can't get enuff of it all, but were do I begin? The prog. I mostly love, is symphonic rock and to most people's ears, it does them little justice. So because I live in the 21'st century and not in the 70's, I feel very awkward about thinking I can be successful at playing such music. I don't know what to do. Do what so many people tell me and go to college for music, and just have hobbies, or really go for it and try to play the music I love in the studio/live, or both. I think of days I may be very poor, and not doing so well. I need some advice!

So what do you fellow music lovers think? Am I pretentious? I'm not sure myself. But thank you for listening to my story, as bland as it is at this point. Maybe it's worth mentioning I've had to go through mental theory and such due to my feelings for the music, and the other problems that break off from this love, including my female love...

Well thank you all for listening!!!!!Big%20smileWink

Michael Dupont

White Shadow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 21:26
I used to ask myself the same questions about playing music.  I am two years older than you but got into music it seems well after you although I might have played an instrument longer (sax since I was 10).  I came to the realization about a year ago that few things in life so far have really given me the joy and fascination that music delivers me.  So I have decided to stick with that one thing that I found that makes me happy (other than my friends and family) and go to school (hopefully) for music when I get out of high school.

Edited by White Shadow - January 02 2008 at 21:27
[signature]
Inverted View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 22:18
Hey, go for it. I do music as a hobby... I like to write and play. Whatever you think is the right fit for you. For some people, making a hobby a job ruins it for them. For others, it adds to their passion for it. YOu just have to find out how to best channel your obvious passion for music.

Best of luck.
Prog... It's good.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 23:16
You've pretty much told the classic prog tale that most people here will tell. Maybe not the classical first but it goes classic rock to famous prog to obscure prog.

btw, there is a "Welcome Newbies" section. And there's no need for the huge font, we can read fine.
razifa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 01:47

Music is your passion so, do it!

I know my case is different but my passion is writing and I've been dreaming of writing a novel about a man that has richness and he decides to give away everything to find the happiness in poverty. At first, writing a book was a crazy idea but now I am working hard on it and I think I can make it this year.

So don't stop yourself and risk on it!!!Thumbs%20Up
**razifa**
Ancient View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 10:18
What a great post, Mike. Understand what you mean. To make a living as a musician is terribly hard. Most of all you need luck, I guess, and timing. To make a living as a prog rock musician is probably very hard. But as I have told my son, who has studied art for some years and want to make a living as an artist: If you have a plan B, you'll end up on plan B.
A friend of mine who I grew up with in the 70s, studied guitar for a number of years, (inspired by Steve Howe). He has now been a guitar teacher for 25 years. He has a couple of groups on the side and loves it, flamenco and classical guitar. I wish he could start a tribute band, or a Classic Rock Ensemble playing all kinds of prog. As the old heroes get old, there will be a golden age for tribute bands in years to come. Better to be a great Yes cover band than a prog band with no new ideas, just borrowing from the old masters, IMO. I know I'd rather go and see one myself.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 16:28
Luck is the most crucial element to making money out of music - but the most important element is the desire to make music.

Like you, I cannot stop myself from writing, playing - or talking about music - and that is where the greatest enjoyment lies. In a way, it would be a pity for any of this to become a full-time job, as I would hate to feel like I have to do this.

If you write music, record as much of it as you can - even the rubbish - and archive it.

If you have dependents, look after them first. Music can be a harsh and demanding mistress.

If you have no dependents, then gig as much as you can and wherever you can.

But...

Try to get away from simply expressing yourself. The highest musical stage is to express the universe - go for that instead. You don't need training for it, just a mind that's open and receptive.

If that seems wierd, don't worry - it is. But it worked for Bach.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
pianomandust View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 17:16
I think that you should totally follow your dream of playing that style of music.  We need some musical rennaisance anyways.  I went to school for music and recently graduated with a B.A. in Piano Performance, and I love classical, jazz, and ....progressive metal:-).  There is nothing in life more satisfying (except my faith, of course being a Christian), and you should at least examine the possibilities of trying music out as a career or at least a very time-consuming hobby.  Good luck!
and then there was music...
MikeDupont View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 21:54
 Thx guys, it all means a lot to me Smile
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 00:58
Fantastic Blog MikeDupont, and as for your question "Am i pretentious?", judging from your blog, you are a humble person, a quality im sure many Progarchivers respect and one i certainly respectThumbs%20Up
MikeDupont View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 16:46
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Fantastic Blog MikeDupont, and as for your question "Am i pretentious?", judging from your blog, you are a humble person, a quality im sure many Progarchivers respect and one i certainly respectThumbs%20Up

Much respect Hughes ;)
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 19:22
MikeDupont, I can see where you are coming from about the music.  I was a classically trained musican and I do not play anymore.  I have not played an instrument in 25 years.  Prog music like jazz makes me think and takes me places that nothing else can take me.  All I can say is keep on playing and listening.  Do not listen to the nay sayers.  We all have dreams but not all of us have the balls to live our dreams.  If playing music and listening to music brings you joy, be happy.  I know I am happy.Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply