Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands that are not on this site.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands that are not on this site.
    Posted: January 02 2008 at 23:24
As I write this I'm listening to Hamburger Concerto on vinyl by "Focus". I bought it because it was in the top 100 and I'm a huge prog head always looking for great stuff. It's a great album. In fact I've found tons of great bands from suggestions here like "Kahn's Space Shanty" and "Cathedrals's Stained Glass Stories" for example. However; I still wonder about some of my favorite bands that are over looked. I've asked about "Hendrix" before and he's still not on here. "Chicago Transit Athority" is another band that I would include here. At least the earlier stuff. I have "Deep Purple" you know, the rock band. They are listed on this site. Still no timeless "Hendrix" albums. I also bought the band "If" by suggestion from a progger here. I think the earlier "Chicago" albums are as prog as "If" is. I would even be the first to review them if they would be accepted here? I know it boils down to is it Pop/Rock or Prog but I'd like to know what other people think?

Edited by JT_Productions - January 03 2008 at 20:15
https://soundcloud.com/metallicsun
razifa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 01:32
Personally, I disagree about Hendrix because I think it is not compatible in this site, and Chicago is not a prog band in his esscence.

I was thinking previously that Journey could be a band to be included in this site but in the same way Chocago and Toto are pop/prog Journey is not pure prog rock.

Thanks and excuses for my english
**razifa**
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 02:33
Prog pop is a category that is unjustly neglected here.  Some prog pop has landed in symphonic (Starcastle would be a good example) but most of it has been thrown into prog-related on not added to the site at all.  Journey  and Toto would fit as prog pop bands I would think.  I'm not familiar enough with Chicago to comment there, and as far as Hendrix goes, I don't think that the fact that he influenced just about every guitarist to come after him as sufficient reason to classify him even as prog related.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 02:41
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Prog pop is a category that is unjustly neglected here.  Some prog pop has landed in symphonic (Starcastle would be a good example) but most of it has been thrown into prog-related on not added to the site at all.  Journey  and Toto would fit as prog pop bands I would think.  I'm not familiar enough with Chicago to comment there, and as far as Hendrix goes, I don't think that the fact that he influenced just about every guitarist to come after him as sufficient reason to classify him even as prog related.

For "Prog Pop" see Prog Related and Crossover Prog.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 03:19
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

quite

as far as Hendrix, his inclusion has been discussed much .. remember that he died before his interest in prog (which he had) was able to blossom in his material, and that most prog musicians were moving past his type of psych/blues

JT_Productions View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 20:51
Thanks for responding to my question. I really am addicted to this site for discovering new and old prog. "Starcastle" - another band I never would have known about without this site. Anyway Razifa brings up "Journey". Another band that had two lives, just like "Genesis", prog and then pop. If the first three "Journey" albums aren't progressive jazz fusion like "Mahavishnu" then I don't know what genre they'd fit.

Anyway, keep up the good work! I love this site. Such great leads on new good music to discover. I'm just afraid the kids are gonna miss out on some great old music because it wasn"t reviewed here. Like Richochet pointed out Hendrix influenced just about every guitarist to come after him but that may not be sufficient reason to classify him as prog related.

Oh well, back to my "Larry Coryell Eleventh House" album.

ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 02:00
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Obviously you didn't get the gist of my post.   I don't want to see prog related and crossover prog.   I want to see a seperate category.
JT_Productions View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 00:07
Sorry, I think a new catagory would be great. I was thinking about all the bands that went through heavy changes in their sound to become Pop.
Genesis, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Queen, Chicago
Can't think of the others right now but these bands first albums bear little resemblence to their last.

p.s. I mentioned the Mac because I just got Fleetwood Mac live from '69. Peter Green is a great guitarist.
 Post Reply Post Reply