Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [15.00%]
17 [85.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 00:12
And now in Guitar Centers across America, you can hear 13-year-old boys playing garbled renditions of various Nirvana songs and thinking that they're cool. Dead

Edited by Avantgardehead - January 06 2008 at 00:12
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Exodizer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 02:35
Originally posted by Aeternus Aeternus wrote:

Hmmm.... I think Nirvana are highly underrated. I'm voting for them. Plus, unlike Britanny, Curt can play guitar...
Umm no He can't, but this is like asking The Monkeys or The Trashmen. Sure I'm no Monkeys fan but it's way better than the alternative. How in the world could be Nirvanna be underrated. Kurt Cobain is still used as the quintiesstial rockstar (I mean people still say things like he's not Cobain or will ask you You wanna be like Cobain eh?) and it's closing in on 15 years ago.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 04:06
Hey, don't knock the Monkees, I was a huge fan growing up and now that I'm all grown up, I am a proud zombie prog pod person. Big%20smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 04:09
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Who cares who killed Kurt? He died after a few mediocre CDs loved by middle-school "punks," solidifying his legacy as a guitarist good enough to get a freakin decent spot on RollingStone's top guitarists list. And that's all that really matters, anyway.

Actually Nirvana wasn't that bad.  I actually like and respect them and Cobain a lot more these days than I did when he was alive at which time I thought they were crap.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 09:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Who cares who killed Kurt? He died after a few mediocre CDs loved by middle-school "punks," solidifying his legacy as a guitarist good enough to get a freakin decent spot on RollingStone's top guitarists list. And that's all that really matters, anyway.

Actually Nirvana wasn't that bad.  I actually like and respect them and Cobain a lot more these days than I did when he was alive at which time I thought they were crap.

An older man must be wiser... LOL Wink
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2008 at 13:49
Nirvana?

Underrated?!
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 10:45
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

mmm, seriously, there's no comparison. This poll is ridiculous.

Here, Here Clap
too bad that option wasn't provided in the vote.

Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 10:50
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

The mind boggles as to whether Britney or Kurt were any better than each other, both appalling IMO.

Exactly...

both of 'em are / were a couple of entertainment industry losers.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 11:03
Originally posted by Utah Man Utah Man wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

The mind boggles as to whether Britney or Kurt were any better than each other, both appalling IMO.

Exactly...

both of 'em are / were a couple of entertainment industry losers.

That's the spirit! Clap
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 12:20
they both drive me mad. http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Britney_spears

that says it all bout britney.
you only have to listen to nirvana to see why i hate them. crap guitar playing, basic unimpressive bass, stiff drumming... it makes me sick to think that these talentless beings are more famous than most of the bands on PA. it is a cruel world we live in...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

they both drive me mad. http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Britney_spears

that says it all bout britney.
you only have to listen to nirvana to see why i hate them. crap guitar playing, basic unimpressive bass, stiff drumming... it makes me sick to think that these talentless beings are more famous than most of the bands on PA. it is a cruel world we live in...

Clap Great post. Wink
Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 18:14
I am sick of people giving Nirvana so much grief. So what if they weren't the worlds greatest musicians? Kurt Cobaine learnt to use his guitar as a very effective tool in his songwriting. I'd much rather listen to someone properly utilise his instrument in this way than listen to Petrucci shred through endless solos on obscure scales he learnt in musical college. And not to mention his great voice and songwriting skills. He wrote powerful music, based on valid observations, which spoke to millions of people. Kurt Cobaine was unique. Just check out all these piss-poor 'grunge' acts that have come out since Nirvana. Very few can do what Kurt Cobaine did.

Also, no offence guys, but I bet he's a hell of a better guitarist than most guitarists who hang around on music forums such as this, pretending to be some sort of musical genius. I don't think he ever exactly stretches his guitar-playing abilities with his songs.

And kibble_alex, if your so willing to dismiss them as 'talentless beings', then I challenge you to write a better song than 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' using just 4 power chords. It's very difficult.

Edited by Kid-A - January 07 2008 at 18:20
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:44
Originally posted by Kid-A Kid-A wrote:

I am sick of people giving Nirvana so much grief. So what if they weren't the worlds greatest musicians? Kurt Cobaine learnt to use his guitar as a very effective tool in his songwriting. I'd much rather listen to someone properly utilise his instrument in this way than listen to Petrucci shred through endless solos on obscure scales he learnt in musical college. And not to mention his great voice and songwriting skills. He wrote powerful music, based on valid observations, which spoke to millions of people. Kurt Cobaine was unique. Just check out all these piss-poor 'grunge' acts that have come out since Nirvana. Very few can do what Kurt Cobaine did.

Also, no offence guys, but I bet he's a hell of a better guitarist than most guitarists who hang around on music forums such as this, pretending to be some sort of musical genius. I don't think he ever exactly stretches his guitar-playing abilities with his songs.

And kibble_alex, if your so willing to dismiss them as 'talentless beings', then I challenge you to write a better song than 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' using just 4 power chords. It's very difficult.

Except for the Petrucci part, this is really a GREAT post....

ClapClapClapClapClap

Some people really think that genius=how many scales and chords and harmonic weirdness you can get in a song....

Well, prog is called pretentious music after all... guess we fans have done everyhting in our power to earn that....

You know that art is also about expression?

Dou you know how much does a CAN song expresses to me in the way of, well, human feelings?

Exactly.

Those of you who can get any feeling out of the most "genius" music, oh well, pat yourselves in the back... you're geniuses after all...

So what... in the end, Cobain, who I agree is not God or anything but a very talented guy, changed many things....

CAN? ..... they're great forum-discussion material....

(I prefer prog by the way.. I just can't stand this stupid displays of "progressive" arrogance, as I said, because I used to be an idiot, too...... In the end: the bad thing is not to have been an idiot, but to continue to be one..)
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 22:54
Britney will always be my goddess.............i love her!!! so damn hot gorgeous n' SEXY!!!!!  always.........Pig
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 01:21

Do you feel better now?
asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 01:31

Now that we've got reasonable support for Kurt...who's gonna defend Britney?

Any takers...?

(and I'm talking about her music, not her music videos with the sound turned off [...that I enjoyed in 7th grade...])

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 01:49

Very few can do what Kurt Cobaine did.

Come on now, people kill themselves all the time. Maybe not always with a shotgun, but still.

Also, no offence guys, but I bet he's a hell of a better guitarist than most guitarists who hang around on music forums such as this, pretending to be some sort of musical genius.

Typical inflammatory statement.

I challenge you to write a better song than 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' using just 4 power chords. It's very difficult.

Erik Satie wrote three songs that each utilize only four chords (although in Gymnopedie No. 1 the first two chords were amazing enough). So songs with four chords (or even less) really aren't that special.

Edited by Avantgardehead - January 08 2008 at 01:50
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 03:43
Originally posted by Kid-A

Very few can do what Kurt Cobaine did.

Come on now, people kill themselves all the time. Maybe not always with a shotgun, but still.

Avantegardehead, that was a genius responseClap actually one of the funniest things i have read on ProgarchivesBig%20smile

Defenders of Britney's music? Well, it wasn't as doom and glood as nirvana, about the only positiveThumbs%20Up 

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 11:39
Well, first of all, I like a guitarist for his spirit. Then the skill comes. What's better if there are spirit and skill combined? And what's worse when there's no spirit neither skill?

I really find Nirvana very very boring. Sincerely, although both are musical failures, if I had no other chance than choose between these to, I would go with Britney.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 00:06
Originally posted by Aeternus Aeternus wrote:

Well, first of all, I like a guitarist for his spirit. Then the skill comes. What's better if there are spirit and skill combined? And what's worse when there's no spirit neither skill?

I really find Nirvana very very boring. Sincerely, although both are musical failures, if I had no other chance than choose between these to, I would go with Britney.

Spot OnClap
Kurt was IMO, horribly uninspiring, and the fact the whole Grunge genre came close to killing the sort of virtuoso music many of us love, i have nothing but disdain for him. Grunge claimed virtuosic guitar solos were simply means of showing off and the virtuosos are pretentious. But anyone who is a fan of Joe Satriani And John Petrucci and has read any of interviews of them can tell you how humble they are, and truly appreciate their selfless contributions to the guitar and music world. And their ability to express what they want with the guitar, they have so much more emotions to express than kurt ever could, simply because John and Joe know more about music and technique and can use that to their conisderable advantageSmile

And yeah, why not pick britney over kurt if i had no choice? At least she's in new papers still making a fool of herself for our entertainmentLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>