Topic ClosedI Talk To The Wind: Prog Blog and Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 00:25
Awww... One of my favorite Rush albums

Still a good job! I can see a lot of what you're saying but I'm quite the opposite in that I just love that album too much. Good review Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Review 61, Hemispheres, Rush, 1978

StarStarStar

Hemispheres is rather a mixed album for me. On the one hand, we have a couple of standout moments, and a fairly light-hearted and strong second side, on the other, we have some of the most funny-spot-wrenchingly-bad lyrical content I've seen since First Aid's Nostradamus (released around the same time, coincidentally). Additionally, Cygnus X-I Book 2 is not really a sequel per se, and certainly isn't consistently powerful and interesting like the first 'book'. Even worse, it actually damages the mystique of that incredible piece of music. There is some stuff here that is seriously interesting progressive rock, but not nearly enough to merit the 'essential' tag.

Hemispheres (AKA. Who shot Cygnus X-I?... book 2) takes up the whole first side of the album. It's a very mixed piece, in my opinion, simultaneously containing some flashes of brilliance and some of pure irritation. A rather grandiose overture, which I could conceivably see tagging onto the end of Cygnus X-I book 1, leads up to a basically complete instrumental rendition of the first couple of verses. Of some interest is Alex Lifeson's odd tone and very soft guitar sound. Geddy Lee is on good form throughout this overture.

The vocals open accompanied by some stabbing Rickenbacker bass work, and some interesting twists on the usual thick Rush guitar sound. Peart does a couple of his classy rolls, but is otherwise pretty bland and a few swirls on the synth try to give a vestigial spacey atmosphere and fail miserably.

Apollo, Bringer Of Wisdom, is the beginning of the true lyrics debacle, as well as opening after a rather ineffectual pause for effect. Not exactly a sequel to Cygnus X-I, but rather a prelude to it and an epilogue set around the classic with a feeble philosophical lesson of balance attached, and with some truly appalling lines. Musically, the accompaniment isn't stunning, either. Just a wandering bass, guitar and drums, seemingly doing not much interesting. However, the tune picks up with Alex Lifeson's typically 'scientific'-feeling solo, with a squeaky edge and supportive bass.

Dionysus, Bringer Of Love, is basically a lyrically altered re-rendition of the above. I didn't see the reason to type out another paragraph to describe it.

Armageddon, The Battle Of Heart And Mind is where the piece picks up with plentiful references to Cygnus X-I book 1, containing some of the ideas in the original, but with a slowed-down nature and softer twist. Geddy Lee's vocals, watery, and they almost sound weak, but are nonetheless somehow likeable. Finally, the lyrics move onto the original's storyline. In addition to hearing a stunning riff thing from the original (I really do love that song so much), and some backgrounded nods to the original over a lush keyboard backing, the piece finally improves.

Cygnus , Bringer Of Balance, features a jaw-droppingly generic keyboard soundscape. But I love it. I have no idea why. I just do. Keys are prominent throughout, and thunder-rolls add a more genuine atmosphere to the piece than any previous work. Even the return to the more rock-based section and even more abysmal lyrical content sort of works, and includes a functional solo, though nothing as mindblowing as 2112. A crashing conclusion with almost classical drumming ends the part fairly effectively.

The Sphere, A Kind Of Dream, works surprisingly well as an acoustic conclusion, with a nice melody (however basic) and a light vocal to accompany it. There is, much to my amazement, a single great verse of lyrics crammed in there. Overall, a bit awkward, ambling and semi-connected, but at times superb and very charming. If the album stopped here, though, it would probably crash in at sub-Moving Pictures levels.

The second side picks up pretty substantially, and is much stronger overall. It's opened by Circumstances, a typically sophisticated commercial-lengthed Rush rock song. After the terrible Rush fanfarey opening we see all too often, the piece takes off potently, with a cheerfully sung set of fairly weak lyrics. Geddy Lee spins around terrifically on bass, taking a triumphant performance, complimented nicely by Peart's fairly edgy and precise percussion. An instrumental break features a silly synth solo with a small workout for the orphan-shelter drumkit's more unusual components, as well as more of the odd guitar tone from Apollo... . All in all, a fairly good song, but I don't feel the guitar really added anything to my experience, and a stronger vocal couldn't hurt it.

I consider The Trees sarcastic, and thus like the lyrical material and delivery. If it were serious, I really wouldn't. Fairly neat, quick characterisations/representations of general kinds of people. It is certainly more quirky than Circumstances. It opens with a set of acoustics backed by uncharacteristically hollow and vibrating bass. Guitar rocks in traditionally as well as sliding around with curiosity. Neil Peart again provides a fairly interesting performance, with classical rolls, shimmery things and hollow-log-tapping aplenty. The break, featuring gradually a constant guitar riff of the style so characteristic of the album and gradually building rhythm sections, works quite nicely, also allowing another Lifeson solo to break out. A final verse rocks slightly more, and, while virtually the same principle as the end of Red Barchetta, it doesn't matter because the content lends itself to it. A good, short, prog song.

La Ville Strangiato is where the album reaches a really special height on a couple of occasions and remains consistently good throughout the entire 'exercise in self-indulgence'. The acoustic opening with a great classical solo gives us a hint of what we're in for, before the whole band enter. After a gradual build, the kicking La Ville Strangiato riff bursts in, with chordal guitar juxtaposed by quick bursts of note guitar. Neil Peart provides a sort of forest of percussive noises as a cheery background throughout. The piece's biggest highlight is a guitar solo, feeling very Spanish on electric, presumably 'Lerxt In Wonderland'. An emotive, calculated and lively performance. Nabbing highlights, since a running description will become tedious very quickly, a Geddy Lee bass solo especially stands out for energy and verve, and Peart's later move to more 'standard' drums devices doesn't fail to pay off with a rock feel as well as a good set of performances. The piece rollicks off fluidly to an abrupt stop. A thoroughly indescribable three-man piece, with recurring themes aplenty and enough motifs and links to give it a cohesive feel despite its very abstract nature and range. Great stuff, though it feels a bit wallowing when you're not in the right sort of mood for it, and the real reason I'd recommend the album.

So, overall, not consistent in quality, and quite weak on the first side, but nonetheless it has a fair few highlights and is usually pretty decent. There is definitely prog material of interest here, and no ardent Rush fan should be without this album. Lerxt In Wonderland alone justifies the album's price. It gets better when you stop listening to the lyrics, mind vs. heart = balance theme and all. I'd recommend this to most progressive fans, except those who really live for the psychedelic and atmospheric stuff, very little of which you'll find here, and those who really find some weaker performances on vocals or guitar insufficient compensation for great bass-work and bursts of stellar guitar. Geddy Lee's bass is another serious redeeming factor (one I've failed to emphasise above, but c'est la vie) for Hemispheres, and fans of that instrument should thus seriously consider it. I'm not the greatest Rush fan (Caress Of Steel excepted), so I'd suggest reading a few more generous reviews to balance my opinion out.

Rating: Three Stars

Favourite Track: La Ville Strangiato

---

I'm beginning to like the three star rating Tongue

@Micky, many thanks Embarrassed. The words just flowed for the review, which is half of the reason I bother (the other half being that it forces me to listen to the music more deeply at least once), unlike this mess of a Hemispheres review above. That said, integral and strong three star reviews are just awkward to pull off. Thanks for recommending Ys in the first placeThumbs%20Up

hahahhaha.. yeah.. that album is good for a laugh.. .I would have it with Caress of Steel.. but you can't take the D&D sh*t too seriously..  you know.. it is just fun to listen to.. but nothing brings the sarcasm and scorn more than falling on your face while trying to be some ...oh what do they call him.. oh yeah.. the professor.  Like trying to teach to teach macro economics after perusing a book a book on it  a couple of times.

the music.. ehhh.. it's Rush...  you expect killer instrumental work.. that is why I always say.. who really listens to Rush for the lyrics.. you do to hear them play.. until that is.. the lyrics get in the way.. and for me .. they did on that one. Big time. Would have probably gone 3 as well.. but not after flirting with a 2 star ..  the instrumental was the only redeeming thing on the album. .and Exit Stage Left has the one to hear of that..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 21:01
Hm. Well, I've been spending a bit too much time on Youtube's ample musical section over the last couple of mornings, and I've discovered that I really like jazz. I have cravings for some Coltrane (just wow), and love jazz guitar and drumming to pieces. I suppose it's possibly just so I'll look like an elitist conoisseur of music rather than someone who just wants an excuse to buy a kimono LOL

Naturally, trying to trim my list down to 20 albums (I will fail. I accept this) for the rest of the year, including a couple of re-orders.

Possible/probables. A few for general education. A few for interest. Some more certain than others.
Trilogy - ELP (decided to finally buy the actual album for the two or three tracks not on my anthology)
Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night (and Fall Of The House Of Usher if I can find it) - Peter Hammill
Darwin - BDMS
Io Sono Nato Liberato - BDMS
Mujician (vol. 1/2) - Keith Tippet
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome (or World Record) - VDGG
Phoenix - Asia (heard mixed opinions. Any good)
Ys - Joanna Newsom
Other avant-gardey thing from harp thread I did *ages* ago.
National Health (first two in one. Not sure if this'll be cheap...)
The Night Watch/whichever it is (Live) - Crimson
Moving Waves - Focus
A Live Record - Camel
Underwater Sunlight - Tangerine Dream
A Saucerful Of Secrets/Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Floyd (issue: they're more expensive than other classic prog)
Doomsday Afternoon - Phideaux (been dabbling with the idea for a while, then looked at the pricetag, and still shaking on it)
Tanz Der Lemminge - Amon Duul II
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

Now. Any suggestions, must haves, things I might be interested in?
Any obvious horrors in the above that I should avoid?
Where to start with jazz? From my samplings, I've liked all sorts, so style shouldn't really be a concern. Brubeck quartet, modern jazz quartet and Coltrane have been of particular impressiveness so far. Remember a guitarist I quite liked the sound of, which I'll double check later.

Also, a present from the SR
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 23:02

dat dere iz a yummy list.  I've heard good things about Phoenix too but haven't been able to track it down yet for cheap; as for the others...well they all look pretty strong.  I don't know much jazz but I can say that if you like VdGG and ELP you'll be safe going with all the "classic" albums from those, as well as Banco.  With VdGG, I would go for all the "full" albums before Quiet Zone (VdG) even though it's pretty good.  I don't think you will want anyone to throw you any more recommendations because we can easily drive you into debtWinkLOL

Signature Writers Guild on strike
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 23:06
National Health needs to be first on your list.  I'm not joking.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 23:07
Coltrane is where is it is at Rob... can't go wrong there at all. 

not sure I'll see your reply before I leave.. but what Trilogy tracks haven't you heard (on the complilation)  let me guess one... Abaddon's Bolero..  among my favorite ELP tracks btw.

Floyd albums are overpriced.. but are essential.. guess that is why they are ..  they know it.  Hope you love Saucerful of Secrets as much as Raff and I do...  great frickin album.

YS.. Joanna... oh yeah...love that one

Tanz?  you'll definitely get more out of it than Wolf City... to me not quite Yeti heights of orgasmic power.. but still a great album... and like the QVL albums.. you'll find people split as to perference.. you and I seem to have much the same taste..  you'll probably prefer Yeti... and Tanz is essential.

If I don't see you early in the morning my time.. .time it easy Rob... and keep the great reviews coming and I'll see you when I get back.. and recover from the trip haha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 23:15
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

National Health needs to be first on your list.  I'm not joking.

QFT
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 09:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Coltrane is where is it is at Rob... can't go wrong there at all. 

not sure I'll see your reply before I leave.. but what Trilogy tracks haven't you heard (on the complilation)  let me guess one... Abaddon's Bolero..  among my favorite ELP tracks btw.

Floyd albums are overpriced.. but are essential.. guess that is why they are ..  they know it.  Hope you love Saucerful of Secrets as much as Raff and I do...  great frickin album.

YS.. Joanna... oh yeah...love that one

Tanz?  you'll definitely get more out of it than Wolf City... to me not quite Yeti heights of orgasmic power.. but still a great album... and like the QVL albums.. you'll find people split as to perference.. you and I seem to have much the same taste..  you'll probably prefer Yeti... and Tanz is essential.

If I don't see you early in the morning my time.. .time it easy Rob... and keep the great reviews coming and I'll see you when I get back.. and recover from the trip haha.

I haven't heard Fugue. I have a live version of Abaddon's Bolero (Works Live), but not the studio one. I think my version of Endless Enigma is abridged.

Enjoy your trip, though you probably don't need me telling you to LOL

And I've found that I love live Rush. WHAT?!

*cries for diminishing wallet*

On the plus side, I guess everything from Rush's live career is on Youtube already.

Edit: going off for two weeks. May or may not bother writing reviews in that time.

Edited by TGM: Orb - July 26 2008 at 15:11
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 19:20

Review 62, H to He, Who Am The Only One, Van Der Graaf Generator, 1970

StarStarStarStarStarStar

The hardest-hitting, perhaps the greatest, prog albums have an essence of their own, a certain SellingEnglandbythepoundness or Brainsaladsurgeryness (Plato can do it, so can I ;) ), rather than being a collection of song ideas with or without an underlying theme, by the same artist, in the same year. Htohewhoamtheonlyoneness is an oddity. Despite the fluent theme of loneliness, the songs are thoroughly different, with fiery dissonance and calm beauty coexisting within the album, and initially, the album, and indeed some of the songs. Nevertheless, regardless of the range, the elusive feel of the album is there, and impacts more powerfully every time. For me, such an album is without doubt a masterpiece.

That waffle aside, H To He Who Am The Only One is a superior effort to its perfectly good predecessor in several ways. First, the lyrics have really fallen into place, and have moved on from simply interesting and well-constructed to incredible emotional journeys with enigmas and clever wordplay incorporated in them. This album in particular is lyrically one of the two or three strongest that I own. Second, Hammill's vocals, which were previously exquisite and superb, have begun to flex themselves inquisitively, trying out new ideas constantly rather than going for a sound/tone and sticking to it for a song. Finally, the songs are slightly more distinctive to my ears, which is merely a personal preference issue.

Where we get to the really interesting features of the album, though, are the production and the album's basic 'features'. The production is clear and appropriate, with a very clear drum and bass sound leaving no mess or unhelpful material in the background to interfere with Bantom's crystalline organ chords, yet no feeling that there should be something else there when the organ or piano drops out. There's the space for the two leads to intertwine over the top of the organ and bass, while Hammill can display his incredible range, and the under-appreciated Guy Evans can use his classic rolling percussion sound with intense fills to full effect. And while all this goes on, there's no feeling of crowding, and nonetheless the feeling of loneliness, loss, rage, rejection and, finally, escape goes straight from the speakers to the soul. Van Der Graaf Generator at one of their many finest moments, and an incredible experience if you can really immerse yourself in it.

Killer opens the album with style, moodiness and a thick organ-sax-piano riff that manages to, with supple variations, hold up the piece perfectly. The parable of the fish (coincidentally, this makes the album lyrically presenting loneliness in sea-break-land-break-space progression), representing men isolating themselves through alienating those around them, is delivered with a dark, almost watery, vocal, and the entire presentation gives a unique dark-sea feel (as opposed to the sweeping majesty of Echoes or Firth Of Frith). Hugh Bantom's organ-work is viciously choppy, using swelling jabs and swipes to full effect as a counterpart to the smoother (at least, outside of the solo) sax, while the first really Van Der Graaf Generator piano makes its appearance (as do brief, but brilliant acoustic swirls that appear and then are gone with no grating whatsoever), directing the mood intensifying without melodrama, and substantiating the background for some of the zany soloist parts on occasion. Guy Evans gives a phenomenally strong performance, keeping up a consistently interesting and mobile background percussion performance with his characteristic second-long intrusions on the lead. However, no description of the song would be complete without an acknowledgement of the three mindblowing solos, a swirling, aggressive, grinding noise, probably from Bantom's general direction, Jackson's chaotic sax whirlwind and his later gorgeous, smoother solo. Of interest, too, is the ending. Where it appears to be scaling up to the classic bluesy crescendo, the band have the restraint and taste to conclude it quite decisively without bowing to that convention. This leaves a smooth segue to...

The beautiful and harrowing A House With No Door. Very much softer than its predecessor, but no less moving. Beautiful piano melodies take the lead, substantiated and backed by a more prominent and directional bass, and Evans' drumming and percussion taking an equally impressive and prominent role in a soft song (another reason I consider the man so overlooked. There aren't many percussionists who can really do that for a soft song). Hammill, however, remains the main focus, with his mournful, steadily unsteady, almost self-deprecating (in feel) vocal and perfect lyrics ('There's a house with no light/All the windows are sealed/Overtaxed and strained, now nothing is revealed...inside'). His voice manages to include majesty and, in the final verse, this incredible switching between his fairly high male voice and a (perhaps falsetto is the right word, but I doubt it) near-female, equally high, yet distinctly different sound flawlessly. An unforgettable vocal and lyrical performance, which is only made sweeter by the quality of the rest of the piece's components. Jaxon contributes a lush flute melody, with the unusual backing of an odd organ setting as well as the piece's basic components, and then heightening the feel with the addition of saxes (I think it could be the two-saxophones-at-once trick). Soft organ adds a touch of tasteful depth to the piece's conclusion, which is reached by a lush piano-bass duet. So different from the opener, but equally perfect.

The Emperor In His War Room is a third style again, with a more earthly vocal from Hammill, emphasising the sharp edges of the imagery-thick, cleverly constructed and menacing lyrics about the fall and isolation of a dictator. Musically, the piece is very much augmented by the presence of the far-famed Robert Fripp, first on delightfully vicious acoustics, and then in a bizarre, winding solo running parallel to the solid work of the band. Another chief feature is the presence of the flute (complete with a couple of effects) as a lead instrument, and some very solid bass and organ-lines contrasting with its airy, escapist feel. Menace and tension ooze from the piece, but also a genuine pity for the subject. Evans extensive militaristic percussion provides another burst of intensity. Here lie both the tense atmospheres that would make A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers and the more conventional features of H To He. The use of contrast is very strongly and subtly done, and the piece slows and thins very carefully to alter the listener's emotions.

Lost is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very special piece to me. In addition to being one of at most five musical pieces that have reduced me to tears, it is so utterly, perfectly romantic. Hammill takes one of the most conventional, generic topics of rock and writes about it poetically, intelligently and with feeling. The delivery matches, stretching with desperation, almost-weeping with loss, and moving to majesty, anger, sadness and longing with a natural flow. The music, though at first I was somewhat taken aback by the frantic nature of the opening sax/organ line, is to match. The opening theme is often reprised much more slowly in the later parts of the song, softly echoing and remembering the perceived frantic passion of the old relationship. The playing is perfect throughout, with Jaxon's brief, emotive spins and warm, but mournful, hums making full use of the human breath resemblance of the sax. Piano and organ are both handled in much the same style, smoothly, but with a constant feeling of utter and crushing loss. Evans again contributes fantastically, never breaking the feel with his style, though even including a very subtle and low-key use of something quite like the eighties drum thwack. The bass-work is smooth, clear, and independent, giving emphasis wherever necessary. Individually, all of these components are superb, but together the scale and beauty leaves me stunned every time. The interplay between sax and organ leads, coinciding with the most exemplary of the shining organ chords earlier referenced, simply has to be heard. I wish I could describe it better, but Lost goes so far beyond words that these are insufficient. This song alone would justify an album.

Pioneers over C (both a brilliant pun, and potentially a double-scientific reference, C being Carbon and c being the speed of light) begins with a soft, restrained rhythm and a crackling swirl, feeling distant (especially in the drum part, which sounds like a bongo to me). This initial distance is then varied throughout the song for force and effect, sometimes glaring with stark bass parts and at others slipping away with soft background organ and acoustic leads. Hammill again gives an absolutely stellar (pun not intended) performance, slipping away from our consciousness and roaring back into it, proclaiming exuberantly 'We are the lost ones', before slipping back around his own vocals. Harmonies are used with attention to detail, and the brilliantly stark lyrics are furthered by the stunning delivery. Aside from a slightly wider percussion set, and a much more prominent use of acoustic rhythms than previously, Pioneers Over C also features a greater role for the bass in providing active direction. Jaxon again manages to steal the show with sax bursts, including a particularly avant-garde breathless wandering. Pianos wander from ear to ear, and the organ provides both subtle and overt additions, as well as a rocking riff towards the end. The dark-space atmosphere (like the previous dark-water and dark-earth ones) is sustained flawlessly throughout, and the band clearly has a conviction in what they are doing that overrides any resistance. I have actually ended up on one occasion staring out of my window holding up my arms to the stars, so carried away by the atmosphere.

So, in conclusion to the rather long preceding passage, Htohewhoamtheonlyoneness not only exists, but it is also utterly incredible, beautiful and tragic. In fact, it is almost unique in its effect on me. So, with it being my second favourite album of all time, I can only give it my most exaggerated score. Go forth, Htohewhoamtheonlyoneness, and prosper!

Rating: Six Stars

Favourite Track: Lost, though all are incredible.

----

Trapezotes. 'nuff said.

What can I say, except that it's better than being a Rush fanboy?

Otherwise, that's three six star albums so far, and I didn't really expect H To He to reach that point until very recently, given that I did prefer Godbluff and Still Life at one point. Did I do it justice?

I considered the alternate review involving the immortal Byron-penned opening:

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes
Thus mellow'd by that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies

But decided that it didn't really entirely fit the album, even though there is somewhere a link there I will one day realise before kicking myself.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2008 at 13:26
bravo Rob.. that is a hell of a review... and yep.. .the best album they ever did... 

have some clappies

ClapClap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2008 at 14:41

Review 63, Salisbury, Uriah Heep, 1971

StarStarStarStar

It is, on occasion, startling how much a group can develop in the space of an album. The substantial space in both style and quality between From Genesis To Revelation and Trespass, or The Yes Album and Fragile ('rawr') illustrate this. So does Uriah Heep's second offering, the superb Salisbury. Aside from really sorting out the harmonies and adding a modicum of tasteful delicacy that Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble generally lacked, the band have both really excelled in producing strong, soft songs and in spreading their wings in a surprising number of directions rather than redredging and developing the more successful material of the predecessor.

Aside from the most obvious artistic leaning, which is a sixteen minute-long suite that includes both brass and woodwind session musicians, the folk tastes of Lady In Black and bizarre vocal choices suggest a band that is genuinely making an effort to move beyond their heavy blues background, and hitting the mark brilliantly. The album isn't quite perfect, with a couple of less fascinating moments, but it is damned good, and should be a part of every discerning progger's collection.

The opener Bird Of Prey shows off the features of the new and improved Uriah Heep: a range of heavy, but non-dominating riffs, superb and eclectic vocals and harmonies, and a set of great lyrics to go with them. The piece opens quite neatly with a guitar-based rhythm complimented with Ken Hensley's classy organ flourishes, while David Byron demonstrates his high, rounded, and, on occasion, screechy vocals and ability to fit into and leap off harmonies. The rhythm section provides a solid background for this, changing as the leads do. Of especial greatness, however, is the kicking guitar/organ riff that breaks out towards the end, occasionally pausing for a harmonised 'ah' at a whim. A good opener, and a formidable statement of intent.

The following The Park is much softer as a song, with high and almost female vocal from Byron with complimentary harmonies. Hensley takes up his turn on vibes as well as a softer organ part, while Mick Box contributes absolutely lush acoustic melodies and Paul Newton's edgeless bass throbs an echo of the vocals. The lyrical content is superb and in a rather folky anti-war style without any of the unfortunate myopic and self-righteous ring that I get from some folk sources. Again, quirk sets in, with a bizarre organ-bass duet accompanied by quiet background noises and some decent percussion ideas. A final verse rounds off the piece nicely. Again, superb, but in a very different style.

The somewhat heavier Time To Live is perhaps my favourite piece of the album, and David Byron alone basically explains that. After a rather wallowing, though punchy opening, the piece breaks out into full flow with wah-wah and slide guitar of the highest level, a classy riff, gorgeous organ swells and a simply incredible rounded vaguely bluesy vocal with forceful, soft and almost sultry alternations, as well as some good plain Tina-Turner-like screeching. The lyrical content, though simple, is nonetheless superbly phrased, and the two insane wah-wah solos from Mick Box are unforgettable.

Lady In Black, the album's hit (and, if I remember correctly, the biggest commercial success of Uriah Heep) is almost unexpected. Aside from the neatly edgy folk lyrics and enormo-harmony-ificated vocals, the song features a good acoustic riff substantiated later on with heavier and yet completely unintrusive guitars and subtle piano additions, as well as a weird sliding bass thing. Mellotron, if I'm not totally mistaken, features subtly at one point. An odd piece, as it is both stripped down and built up at different points with no stress, and, interesting though it is, I don't find it all that stunning in an emotional way.

High Priestess, after this, is a slightly more conventional effort, although quite a good hard rock song with bursting guitars and a strong vocal, if rather unconvincing lyrical content. The mass harmonies are introduced to good effect, and a kicking rhythm section is never left behind too much. Unfortunately, it does wear a little thin by the end, and seems to be being simply run into the ground. There's nothing really blatantly wrong with it, it's just not convincing to my ears.

Salisbury, however, is a completely different story altogether. Right from the opening, aside from the lush use of oboes and various brass instruments which I can't separate well enough to justify it, Ken Hensley's organ takes on a monstrous power of its own, and the guest orchestra accomplishes its role perfectly, somehow sliding fittingly into what is essentially a big rock song, complete with a neat start-and-stop drum style and some glowing guitar and bass work. David Byron's vocal entrance is incredibly moving, soft and potent, though on a couple of very brief occasions it wanders a little too far into the land of cheese.

The kicking rock riffs and orchestral integration are pretty unique and integral to the song, which somehow uses both the classical melodies from the orchestra and standard organ or guitar soloing without one ever pushing out the other. The level of integration is simply stunning, and Paul Newton's directional bass provides another charming texture. Some incredibly funky (I mean that in the nicest possible sense of the word) riffs from Hensley add extra flavour, as do the more dejected vocals of Byron's developing story ('well we tried/Our love inside/just crumpled up and died') and breathtaking harmonies. The sheer emotive power of his exhorting 'alone again! How could you leave me alone again? I don't wanna be alone again!' needs to be heard, and I have no doubt that even those more exclusively heading into the 'symphonic' realm, who might be inclined to avoid bands so linked to hard rock, should not miss the overall majesty, effect and quality of Salisbury. Mick Box's explosive guitar solo is also vital listening. An unmissable piece, no matter how often I say that.

Now, bonus material in a line-per-song summary. Simon The Bullet Freak: Great, awesome bass and piano riff, great vocals, a good developed blues piece. Might not have heard the original. Here Am I: urk, a little repetitive and ineffectual, with an irritating harmony. Some great moments, though. The rest is essentially slightly altered versions and single cuts from the album, and though all sound perfectly decent, there aren't really any I'd instantly snatch over the original. Ending with Time to Live, though, is just a superb idea.

So, overall, this falls barely short of the masterpiece mark, but on occasion it does lack and the unimpressive High Priestess is a small drag on the album. Certainly essential listening, though, and the album's biggest highs (ending of The Park, Time To Live, Salisbury) are amazing. Recommended to all, and the devotion it receives is entirely deserved.

Rating: Four Stars
Favourite Track: Time To Live or Salisbury. It changes depending on the exact moment of each that I'm listening to.

---

Another review from me, now. Thoughts altogether welcome.

@mickstafa, many thanks, though I think that the issue with Van Der Graaf Generator is that they've produced four albums (at least, I only have five at the moment) which I could all argue with a semblance of objectivity to be better than the other three of those. Really depends on preference.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2008 at 11:26

Review 64, Meddle, Pink Floyd, 1971

StarStarStarStar

My first real step (aside from one early, and preferably forgotten, expedition. A rather unfortunate Teutoberg Forest-style incident) into the nebulous world of reviewing Pink Floyd comes with the album that widely seems to be regarded as the start of their classic period. While I think there was a lot of merit, certainly, in the preceding Atom Heart Mother, and there are certainly many admirers of the early psychedelic stuff (I've yet to delve into this, since Floyd is relatively expensive), the view is understandable as the product, the complete booklet, stunning cover art and musical perfectionism does really glimmer from Meddle almost as brightly as it does from the timeless Dark Side Of The Moon. Meddle is often regarded as an album with two unforgettable Floydian gems, rarely, if ever, bettered by the band, while the remnants of the first side are somehow unworthy of these two pieces. I think this view is somewhat fair, if a little exaggerated, and so am taking a slightly different approach to the review's format to try to bring a new angle in.

Echoes is, in my mind, the crowning triumph of Roger Waters as a lyricist. It holds the single finest set of lyrics I have yet heard (and I am very much into the lyrics of our nebulous genre), and so perfectly delivered by the joint Wright-Gilmour vocals. Mysterious, mood-altering and brilliantly, simply phrased, Waters transports the listener to the three-part world of his poem.

The first verse locates the listener in the submarine world, using locative words and atmospheric word choices to ensnare them at the ocean floor, looking up (hence the initial 'overhead'), feeling like a speck in this temporal ocean (everything is green and submarine, and the singularity of the (motivating?) echo and the (inspiring?) albatross compared to the plural and inanimate sand, caves, labyrinths, waves and air). The verse extension introduces the song's theme with the existentialist idea of no-one, no god, no inherent gene pool, guiding our development and understanding how the world works, and yet some thought, some ambitious urge, within us developing (note the sea-land development here. As in the first creatures coming from the sea) and aspiring. Beginning to make the journey towards a greater goal, although it's unsure of exactly what that goal is.

The second takes the idea onto land and into human form, with a chance, uncertain (Do I?, which could also be a nuptial reference) encounter between two strangers, one being the narrator, the other 'you'. Both of these people are in essence the same, but divided by circumstances. The narrator shows an awareness of the meaning, of the understanding, in cooperation, in helping others, and, indeed, in love. Again, the 'no-one', the creator-shaped gap in this reality, encourages or bars us, but this time no-one cooperates or aspires, and no progress is made. The reality of the ultimate, uncaring capitalist ethic is implied as simply mediocrity embodied.

The final, magnificent verse raises the above ideas to their peak, softly, powerfully, the 'you' of the previous verse, whether the sun, or a person, encourages and offers motivation to move on, to grow, to try, and this cooperation (ambassadors) and motivation (sunlight) and open-ness ('through the window in the wall' – a link, a receptiveness to the outside) cause development. And finally, the protagonist in turn calls out and inspires his own muse, throwing the windows wide, and he can do this because there is nothing, no apparent god, no gene pool making him avoid this. The message, then, is to grow and cooperate, that working together with other people will advance you, while selfishness won't have any effect, and this is the single most inspiring piece of socialist/pro-cooperation writing I have ever read. This is my humble view on the subject, and I'm sure there are other interpretations out there. I leave this section with the final verse extension:

And no-one sings me lullabies
And no-one makes me close my eyes
And so I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky

The music can only introduce itself, it is majestic, slowly developing, climaxing magnificently and beautifully, inspiring and yet at times lowkey and never remotely pompous. Perhaps the organ solo winds on too long, perhaps the desolate guitar screeching in the middle is too dissonant for the mood, perhaps the actual piece is quite simple and extended without rapid changes in style. However, I do not mind, because the overall atmosphere, delivery and lyrical content is so incredibly overwhelming that I leave the semblance of a fair critic behind from the first notes.

Now, back to the first side:
One Of These Days opens the album superlatively, with an immersive windy feel and kicking bass, as Wright adds all sort of brilliant keyboard textures, sharing some of the ideas with Mason's cymbals. Mason too contributes brilliantly with both thudding drums and very subtle percussion. At about the two minute mark, the piece really takes off with Gilmour's gritty guitar wails, a tense section vaguely resembling the Doctor Who theme with very dark ideas and a spoken, thoroughly distorted vocal ('One Of These Days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces) initiates the full-blown chaos of the following section, with everyone simply
playing. The Floyd rhythm section simply rocks, while Gilmour and Wright add loads of stunning ideas over the top. Superb, but also irritatingly indescribable. Another wind effect closes the piece off.

A Pillow Of Winds, a rather sweet, relaxing acoustic-dominated ballad with so many stretchy edges (acoustics, subdued electric, bass throbs, keyboard swirls) and a gentle vocal. Intense layering and deep choices feature throughout, and the end result is an odd mixture of haunting textures and relaxing ones, and uplifting choices. Damned weird, but very interesting, and with a good set of matching lyrics.

Fearless, sadly, had amazing potential. If it didn't, I could forgive the ending, which single-handedly kills any risk of the album hitting the fifth star. A great set of lyrics, a good acoustic melody with jaunty rises and accompanying excellent vocals and a tasteful rhythm section, as well as a brilliant break including an acoustic/bass all suggest that the song would be great. It nearly was. Unfortunately, someone in the band decided that it would be a good idea to stick in the most obnoxious football chant possible as an irritating end that breaks all real immersion by what is, presumably an attempt to give it relevance. Urkh!

San Tropez very much suggests a Simon And Garfunkel influence, with a bouncy set of lyrics and music, although both are absolutely top notch. A cheerful bass thing holds up the piece, while Wright's piano substantiates and emphasises, and Gilmour takes a quality solo. Utterly cheerful, and not at all filler.

Seamus is simply brilliant blues, with dog howling and a bit of harmonica incorporating itself into the band's general fun on piano, guitars and bass. I can't see what's so despicable about it. Very soulful.

So, do I give this the five stars of a flawed masterpiece, or the four of something that didn't quite make it? I'm torn, admittedly, but the following Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here albums, though not losing any of the warmth of this slightly weaker effort, do have a complete perfectionism and stunning polish that establishes their brilliance. Meddle doesn't, however excellent it is, reach the same artistic height consistently, and so merits 'only' four stars. Nonetheless, an absolutely essential album for any Floyd fans, and even those who aren't the band's greatest devotees. Brilliant stuff, and deserving to be seen as an album in its own right rather than a mere prototype of Dark Side...

---

Thought the choice to go into the lyrics was a bit risky, though I could probably go in deeper and in more deeper, but then, otherwise, my review wouldn't really add much to what's been said already. So, thoughts? Anyone have a different interpretation of the lyrics?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2008 at 18:38
And, yet another review, I'm being quite productive this week, no?

Review 65, Grace Under Pressure, Rush, 1984

StarStarStar

This reviewer, whose Rush discography is somewhat sketchy after Moving Pictures, and who considers Caress of Steel a timeless classic, but the acclaimed MP mostly mediocre, might not be expected to come out in favour of Grace Under Pressure. However, I admit to liking the album, and there are only a couple of weak spots in the otherwise solid synth-pop/rock we have on offer. Peart's lyrics are up to scratch, mostly, and feel quite natural in a lot of places, while the artsy edges are in place throughout the album. The first four tracks, at least, are pretty strong cuts, and while the second side trails off a bit, it is generally listenable, with a good closer, and all in all, it leaves a positive impression.

Distant Early Warning opens the album quite tensely, with some spacious work from the synths and guitars, as well as a clever bass part working away in the background. Geddy Lee delivers with surprising verve an enjoyable set of lyrics, and his bass is a highlight throughout the song, as even in the bright chorus, it adds something deeper in. The drum part is well-incorporated, leaving plenty of space as well as accomplishing fills. My only small criticism is that the synth-led sections sometimes seem a little feeble in comparison with the guitar-based ones with a nice synth ditty in the background.

Afterimage is another solid song, this time drawing a little more on Alex Lifeson's guitar, though the synths also add in more ideas, including growly noises, standard hums and piano-ish tones. Peart gives a good AOR beat without losing sight of inventive choices and a set of wistful lyrics. Much as the song itself is tolerable, the real highlight is the surprisingly atmospheric instrumental section, complete with an interesting guitar solo.

Even stronger, however, is Red Sector A, which combines some mesmerising rhythms with some damn fine lyrical lines ('shouting guards and smoking guns... will cut down the unlucky ones'). The percussion, the guitar riffs, the vocals... they simply rock. Oddly, the lead synths seem appropriate, and never pompous. The instrumental break, combining a weird but wonderful guitar tone with building synths, is well-handled. It is sad that the line 'I must help my mother to stand up straight' slightly damages the mood, but otherwise a damn fine song.

The Enemy Within is an utterly kitschy bass-driven song with synth paps and light guitar additions in the chorus, and yet, it is great fun. Geddy Lee's slightly screechy voice again hits the spot excellently, as do the percussion parts. Far too catchy, and I love it.

The Body Electric's sci-fiish themes without any mystery or real catch. The lyrics aren't irritating, just not nearly as interesting as I'd like them to be. Nevermind, onto the music. Again, it's quite non-distinctive, with a fairly repetitive drum part and a mix that simply feels like everything is playing loud, but not a lot goes on. The vocals also don't seem to match (erk, especially on '1-0-0, 1-0-0, 1-0-0-1 SOS', though Lifeson's quirky solo is up to scratch, as is the superb bass playing accompanying that. It's not really a terrible song, it just eludes the attention span completely.

Kid Gloves, however, does edge on the nerves a little, with its rhythm simply not catching like The Enemy Within, though the musical premise is pretty similar, and the lyrics, even I admit there's some merit in there somewhere, repeat too much, and has a catchphrase that simply feels off to me. Even the solo isn't very redeeming, just squeaky and technical. Again, I get the whole, everything loud, but not a lot going on, vibe, probably unfairly.

The tenser Red Lenses, carefully using sharp guitar lines and bass jabs, as well as a very quirky percussion part and a totally redundant synth (in the main part of the song at least). The lyrics and vocals have shaped up a little, and of especial note is an interesting instrumental section with tympani notes and a slightly more valid synth, even if I feel the song could have dropped them without hurting. Peart holds up a drum riff under a vocal quite well, and the song's overall mystery vibe works well enough. Overall a good piece, but it simply didn't need to bother with the synths at all, and they drag it down a bit.

The surprisingly dark Between The Wheels starts with an insistent synth riff and a killer guitar soloish that reminds me a bit of some of Howe's work on Drama (Machine Messiah, in particular, I think). Geddy Lee appears to have re-adapted himself much better to the tenser atmospheric vocals, and, despite what is a mixed set of lyrics, carries the song excellently. The instrumental work is excellent, and the mix again feels quite balanced, giving everything the space to shine. Peart in particular stands out, and the piece as a whole has a darkened vibe that lends the album a slightly greater credibility after a frail middle. Great ending.

So, a synth pop album, I admit, but a good synth pop album. Recommended for fans of Rush, or anyone interested in exploring some of the band's work after the obvious classics and Moving Pictures. I also have to confess that I genuinely like a lot of Peart's drumming on this album, while I'm more indifferent to lots of his more well-reputed part, so, something else to recommend there. Three well-earned stars from me

Rating: Three stars

Favourite Track: Red Sector A

---

Thoughts welcome, as always, though I'm particularly anxious to hear what people think of the Meddle review (it's not that obscure an album), and whether the analysis thing was a valid move.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2008 at 21:29
nope... not I.. nice review.. and much more positive than I would have expected Rob.  Nice review.. makes me want to hear it again.. been a long time since I've heard it.

and yeah... you have been quite productive this week yes  hahahha
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 22:11

Review 67, Drama, Yes, 1980

StarStarStarStar

For 1980's Drama (my only post-GFTO Yes album, and probably going to stay that way for a while...), Yes has an odd line-up. The Yes nucleus has been reduced to the virtuostic Howe and Squire, and the excellent White, and added to that are The Buggles – a pop duo responsible for Video Killed The Radio Star -, comprising Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn. The obvious, but unfair, question is whether they can replace two of the golden era Yes-men, Wakeman and Anderson.

In a stroke of genius, they don't even try. Geoff Downes' keys are not a Wakeman imitation. The atmospheres of Wakeman are left behind in favour of slightly harder and more blunt work. While the man isn't an obvious choice for favourite keyboardist, he holds up his side well. Trevor Horn's vocals, similarly, are more than just aping Anderson, they change much more unexpectedly than Anderson did, and handle the harmonies with grace. Nonetheless, both fit in very well with the core parts of Yes, and the resulting album is well-balanced, surprisingly strong and at times mindblowing.

Machine Messiah dispels all fears of a weak effort. Led in by an astounding guitar-bass riff, with Howe splintering away savagely, and then moving onto various sorts of soulful backing for the harmony vocals, acoustics, synths, organs, guitar, but always with a feral edge from Howe lurking underneath. A solo section, including a superb bass solo, leads back to a return of the bass riff with awe-inspiring choral mellotron and a completely gritty guitar part. This somehow turns to a mellotron and acoustic atmosphere, with Horn's vocals again taking an oddly reverent spot, and then it jumps up into a hugely positive section, with an uplifting burst like classic Yes, and a positive solo, which then again leads down to the acoustic and keys echoing the bass riff in an ambiguous manner. More chaotic guitar-work leads us out. An absolutely phenomenal, spiritual track, complimented by a suitably Yes-ish spiritual lyrics, and, most importantly, making full use of a range of dynamics. Classic Yes, and I don't say that lightly.

White Car, lasting less than a minute and a half, is a somewhat odd track. Focused very much on a keyboard riff, with all sorts of small percussiony and acoustic things appearing. Trevor Horn provides a brief vocal, which is suitably interesting, and Downes concludes it with a moog solo. Nice.

Does It Really Happen opens with a kicking bass rhythm and White on top form, as well as some keyboards foreshadowing later vocal melodies. Howe's guitar leaps introduce the vocals, which have an absolutely killer chorus. The second, two words at a time, vocal section works well, with Downes stabbing brilliantly on the hammond behind it. The band manages to convincingly take an unbacked rendition of the chorus with a clever use of the harmonies to prevent it feeling redundant. The conclusion echoes the opening with a phenomenal bass performance from Squire, who is essentially guitar-heroing with a bass.

The eight and a half minute Into The Lens finds it slightly harder to really click than the preceding numbers, though it probably has the strongest vocal performance so far. Downes takes a pretty strong initial piano-synth lead, which he later relinquishes to Howe's parallel-to-the-vocal swirls, and the entire band takes their turns at leading and backing. There's another showcase for the soloing talents of the band-members, as well as their ability to move back to something which initially seems like the previous chorus/verse part, but musically isn't. Though I have no objections to any of the individual performances, with Howe in particular blistering away quite neatly, but the song as a whole somehow seems a bit too trite for a bit too long, with too much random movement. Very indicative of the direction Howe and Downes would take on Asia, and overall a good song, but not quite reaching the heights of the previous pieces.

Run Through The Light is another damning indiction of my love for pop songs. After a moody keyboard opening, the vocals come in with the brilliant 'I asked my love to give me she-e-elter/But all she offered me were dreams/Of all the moments spent together/That move like never-ending streams', and everything simply takes off, with a surprisingly strong performance by Horn (especially since he was competing with Squire's riveting work elsewhere) on bass and as all sorts of manic depravity and brilliant stuff turns up unexpectedly without a moment's notice. Howe is again superb, and the vocals and lyrics... and the whole song... it's just too catchy. Great song.

The closer Tempus Fugit is widely regarded as a highlight of the album, but I don't really agree. Aside from the slightly too silly 'Yes', it is simply jumpy and uplifting consistently. Not a note of ambiguity, not much variation of the tempo. The bass riff is pretty much run into the ground, and the piece just feels like it's a kid who's had a bit too much helium. This griping aside, the lyrics are brilliant, and every individual part is solid, it just lacks the soul-wrenching use of tempos and dynamics that made classic Yes to me.

Now, we hit the bonus material. The single edits are passable material, with Run Through The Light emphasising the piano a little more, and adding in a couple of odd variations. Have We Really Got To Go Through This features a lot of Howe's soloing, and is pretty good from that angle, but otherwise not that interesting. Satellite is another meandering instrumental, and, while a good example of the players reconciling their prowess with the style, it's simply not inspiring. Yes aren't, in my eyes, cut for pure instrumentals. A Tempus Fugit tracking session is a bit pointless, even if it sounds a little less excessive than the end return. The one of White Car is slightly more interesting and lyrically extended.

Dancing Through The Light is an amusing dance version of Run Through The Light, but predictably far less catchy and compelling. Golden Age is rather better, with a decent Anderson Vocal, as well as an unintrusive backing that works some of the time, even if Wakeman's tone feels a bit out of place. Not a lost gem, but not terrible, either. Into The Tower opens with a rather good duet between Wakeman's organ and Anderson's vocals, before White adds himself in to add some rock elements. Far better than most of the other bonus we get on here, actually an album-quality track. Friend Of A Friend is also quite strong, with good performances from Squire and White, it's a shame that the synth tones again feel slightly odd, especially on the longer notes. So, as a set of bonuses, pretty mediocre, but there's some good stuff in there, and the album's ending isn't so absorbing that the bonuses will break the mood.

So, overall, this is a very good and distinctly progressive album. The gut-wrenching Machine Messiah is unmissable for anyone who is even slightly interested in Yes, and I feel that Jon Anderson's presence isn't much missed. In addition, it's pretty consistent, with only the last couple of tracks letting down at all for basically undefinable reasons, and Squire is on full throttle throughout. Four stars, essential listening, matching up to a couple of the classic era albums in quality, in my opinion.

Rating: Four Stars
Favourite Song: Machine Messiah or Run Through The Light. Should be the former, definitely, but I have no taste :p

---

Odd to open, definitely, wasn't quite sure how to introduce it.

MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2008 at 22:28
Very good review for Drama, Rob. I agree that it is a surprisingly strong Yes album.

Well-written, to say the least. Clap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 01:39
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Hm. Well, I've been spending a bit too much time on Youtube's ample musical section over the last couple of mornings, and I've discovered that I really like jazz. I have cravings for some Coltrane (just wow), and love jazz guitar and drumming to pieces. I suppose it's possibly just so I'll look like an elitist conoisseur of music rather than someone who just wants an excuse to buy a kimono LOL

Naturally, trying to trim my list down to 20 albums (I will fail. I accept this) for the rest of the year, including a couple of re-orders.

Edit: This has been failed.

Now. Any suggestions, must haves, things I might be interested in?
Any obvious horrors in the above that I should avoid?
Where to start with jazz? From my samplings, I've liked all sorts, so style shouldn't really be a concern. Brubeck quartet, modern jazz quartet and Coltrane have been of particular impressiveness so far. Remember a guitarist I quite liked the sound of, which I'll double check later.

Also, a present from the SR

Hm. meh. Purchase considerations now:

Possible/probables. A few for general education. A few for interest. Some more certain than others.
Trilogy - ELP (decided to finally buy the actual album for the two or three tracks not on my anthology). Has been replaced with
Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night (and Fall Of The House Of Usher if I can find it) - Peter Hammill
Darwin - BDMS
Io Sono Nato Liberato - BDMS
Mujician (vol. 1/2) - Keith Tippet
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome (or World Record) - VDGG
Phoenix - Asia (heard mixed opinions. Any good)
Ys - Joanna Newsom
Other avant-gardey thing from harp thread I did *ages* ago.
National Health (first two in one. Not sure if this'll be cheap...)

The Night Watch/whichever it is (Live) - Crimson
Moving Waves - Focus
A Live Record - Camel
Underwater Sunlight - Tangerine Dream
A Saucerful Of Secrets/Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Floyd (issue: they're more expensive than other classic prog)
Doomsday Afternoon - Phideaux (been dabbling with the idea for a while, then looked at the pricetag, and still shaking on it)
Tanz Der Lemminge - Amon Duul II

And

Are You Experienced? - Hendrix
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Led Zeppellin IV or I or something - obvious band
Out Of The Blue - ELO
Fireball or In Rock or something - Deep Purple
(G_d is my basic rock education lacking.)
something Coltraney, something Brubecky, something Modern Jazz Quartety, something Davissy
a couple of cheaper later Genesis albums, perhaps, just to see
Gabriel 2, 3 or 4
Maneige - s/t
Whatever I can get most reasonably from a normalish dealer, dammit - Le Orme
Soft Machine - spamloads of stuff. They seem relatively inexpensive.
Pictures At An Exhibition - ELP
Quite liked the Ratt thing Mickster had on his myspace, so might try that if I'm feeling rich
Nadir's Big Chance or something - Hammill
UK - UK
Stevie Wonder - key heart thing
The Moody Blues - OK, just having Days Of Future Passed is a bit light. Something new, perhaps

David Bowie - Hunky Dory + The Rise And Fall?
Gryphon - Red Queen, and perhaps Gryphon, out of curiosity.
Renaissance - thing with Mother Russia on it?
Colosseum - cheapest thing going
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
Ahvak - Ahvak

Nivraym - Koenjihyakkei, if I can find it.

Italicised means maybe. slashed out means no, but I might change my mind.

This music thing is a bottomless pit.

Edited by TGM: Orb - August 22 2008 at 01:40
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 09:04
Quote Hm. meh. Purchase considerations now:

Darwin - BDMS

Be careful with what you order - don't go for the cheapest, that's probably the dreaded 1991 version. Dead

What's the price? I got it fairly cheap (14€) - it is worth so much more.

That's probably my next review - won't be very flattering, I'm afraid.

And

Disraeli Gears - Cream

Can't go wrong with these.

Personal favorite is still II, although IV and Houses of the Holy are also excellent. 

Deep Purple

Self-titled. Still their best, to my ears.

UK - UK

Oh, you're definitly going to like this one.

Nice list, as always. 

Edited by Kotro - August 22 2008 at 09:05
Bigger on the inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 22:13
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Quote Hm. meh. Purchase considerations now:

Darwin - BDMS

Be careful with what you order - don't go for the cheapest, that's probably the dreaded 1991 version. Dead

What's the price? I got it fairly cheap (14€) - it is worth so much more.

That's probably my next review - won't be very flattering, I'm afraid.

And

Disraeli Gears - Cream

Can't go wrong with these.

Personal favorite is still II, although IV and Houses of the Holy are also excellent. 

Deep Purple

Self-titled. Still their best, to my ears.

UK - UK

Oh, you're definitly going to like this one.

Nice list, as always. 

Many thanks Thumbs%20Up Will redress accordingly.

New considerations:

Dun - Eros (must have. Not as common as I'd like...)

Allman Brothers Band (micky, I know you're out there) - any suggestions? was more guitar-focused in the listening, but was on a crap sound system, so that's understandable.

Leg End - Henry Cow

hm. Perhaps the latest Hackett album too.

My wallet bleeds.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2008 at 22:18
yes...  I am around ...hahahhah.....

you have to have 'At the Fillmore East'  that is an essential album.. period.... it is that good....think is is often listed in the top 50 albums ever made.. and considering the scope of music... that is saying a lot.

even Raff who is musically.. and culturally as far removed as you can be from that kind of music, adores the album.   It is a great album... especially the more experimental, longer tracks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>