Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOs Mutantes (Rita Lee)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Os Mutantes (Rita Lee)
    Posted: January 18 2008 at 09:58

Os Mutantes (released under the name of lead singer Rita Lee) Hoje E O Primeiro Dia Do Resto Da Sua Vida (Polydor 1972)
This years winter sales in Paris were quite good. I found some interesting records from the jms-cream records catalogue, but now in the second week it get's harder to find interesting CD's. So yesterday I was nearly gone from a Virgin Mega store, when I found this record. I was kind of intrigued by the cover and the red polydor label and turning the Cd around I saw that it was a brazilian  1972 re-release and I bought it. Once opened I realized that it was in fact a Brazilian Prog record by Os Mutantes If I understood well the portugese liner notes the band had alredy released a record in 1972 and couldn't release another record the same year hence they released the band record under the name of lead singer Rita Lee who designed alo the nice autoportarit cover. I didn't knew Os Mutantes at all and what a pleasant surprise it was! On this record the band mixes diferent styles rock, psy,  samba, jazz, experimental music always with a RIO like ironic edge. Most of the tracks start in  "classic" way and move then into proggy fields. Most of the compositions are by keyboarder Arnaldo Babtista who plays a mean funky Hohner clavinet and dominates the sound with the fuzz bass of Arnolpho Lima which is quite up front on the CD release. My favourite track is Tapupukitipa, the most experimental track with Cathy Berberian like vocalizes by Rita Lee.
Great discovery!
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 10:20
Sounds interesting, Martin Approve The only Os Mutantes I have heard is the streaming file here on PA. The band sounds worthty of seeking out.

As for your luck of in finding the album... I think I would struggle to stumble across something from Brazil in my neck of the woods! Maybe I will get lucky one day. Tongue
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Reply Post Reply