Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 43>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 17:55
I'm already on episode 11. Going to be the fastest completion ive done. 

Great show.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 18:57
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

watched another overall-good anime Angel Beats! not the best i ever saw but still good.

I also finished Angel Beats! in the past few days but I'm undecided on it. I think it needed to be 26 instead of 13 episodes maybe for what they were trying to do (and amount of main chars)
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 04:14
Last week I finally got around to watching the 1995 anime adaptation of Ghost in the Shell, I've been a huge fan of the original manga for a long time. While the anime doesn't have as involved a plot and simply can't spend as much time on the character, it does manage to tell an interesting crime/espionage thriller storyline as well as preserve most of the basic thematic insights about technological development's impact on humanity simply in the setting despite being way more realistic in style and tone. (perhaps to appeal to a larger audience) I also enjoyed the episode or two of Stand Alone Complex that I've watched.

What are people here's takes on the other incarnations of the GITS-verse? The film sequel Innocence seems to really divide audiences with some intensely disliking it but others finding it even more interesting, plus I think some of the later manga spinoffs Shirow Masamune himself was not satisfied with at all - because some complications regarding the business contract to the publishers prevented him from writing the storylines he had planned. (can't remember what they were called though)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 07:04
I like Innocence, though I feel it tries to hard to be even more esoteric in it's themes than the first film. The two Stand Alone Complex series are excellent though they have a very different tone to the films, same goes for the Solid State Society OVA. I wasn't that impressed with the first two Arise films, something about this young Motoko Kusanagi rubs me the wrong way, and haven't yet watched the new series thats just started but I gather it's just going to be the Arise films with a few extra sceens.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 07:17
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

watched another overall-good anime Angel Beats! not the best i ever saw but still good.

I also finished Angel Beats! in the past few days but I'm undecided on it. I think it needed to be 26 instead of 13 episodes maybe for what they were trying to do (and amount of main chars)

that would definitely be nice.
Progrockdude
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 02:09
I went to Hulu and, for the first time in about 20 years, I became reacquainted with an old friend:

"The Fastest Car On Earth" was okay, but I had a blast watching "The Race Against The Mammoth Car". Assuming the rest holds up, this still might be one of my favorite animé of all time.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 08 2015 at 02:13
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 13:49
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

I went to Hulu and, for the first time in about 20 years, I became reacquainted with an old friend:

"The Fastest Car On Earth" was okay, but I had a blast watching "The Race Against The Mammoth Car". Assuming the rest holds up, this still might be one of my favorite animé of all time.

i personally didn't recognized this as an anime, but i guess i was wrong (from the late 1960's?!?!, JEEZE!!!). heard of it though before, definitely.
Progrockdude
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 15:20
I forgot to post about me finishing Death Parade.

A fantastic, easy, entertaining, and rewarding watch. Only 13 episodes, but totally worth it. 

I personally think it had a wonderful ending, but i still need a second season for a few unanswered questions/interactions. 

Rated it as a strong 8. 
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 00:02

I was a fan when I watched it. I still think it's good. I still enjoy that kind of humor.

It's also got some of the best female vocals in singing I have heard in an anime.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I was a fan when I watched it. I still think it's good. I still enjoy that kind of humor.

It's also got some of the best female vocals in singing I have heard in an anime.

weird, i have SOO much of a prog bias that i tend to comtemplate if there is a prog reference in an anime somewhere (which'll make my heart EXPLODE if that ever happens), and thankfully the closest we got was a Doors reference i believe near the end. loved that bit. along with the rest of the comedy, the anime's finest hour for me.

Edited by Michael678 - May 19 2015 at 15:47
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2015 at 22:53
Just finished Death Parade. I really liked it until the end of the 11th episode and the 12th episode where the drama was a little overdone. It seemed like they were trying to milk all the emotion of scenes that would have been just fine with a less overstated approach.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 17:54
today was the broadcast of the last episode of Assassination Classroom; it wasn't until i believe a couple of weeks ago that i noticed that it has become one of the most enjoyable anime i have ever watched, and definitely one of my favorites of all time. i better now start catching up with the manga even though season 2 will be coming out next year!!!
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 16:45
Finished Kids on the Slope today. One of the few anime I've watched recently that made me sad it was over. Soundtrack is pretty jammin' too
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 21:25
forgot to mention this yesterday, but i also finished Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls at a Dungeon? (yes, that's the title; just call it Danmachi if it makes you feel better!); really enjoyed it overall. it ain't the most original anime out there, but again, the execution of these cliches i thought was done well. kind of like Sword Art Online in a way.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 16:41
See You Space Cowboy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 08:13
also forgot to mention, but i finished the original Fullmetal Alchemist series a couple of days ago (THANK GOD I FINALLY DID IT!!!) which was great. i plan to watch the whole franchise for that matter, with my order as follows:

1. 2003 Series
2. Conqueror of Shamballa
3. Brotherhood Series
4. The Sacred Star of Milos

after watching all of this, next up is Cowboy Bebop (which i actually own the complete series from my birthday money!)

Edited by Michael678 - July 20 2015 at 10:39
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 10:40
UPDATE #1: yeah, earlier today i decided to watch Your Lie in April as well; i didn't cry at it like a majority of people (i'm not sure that'll ever happen with anything.....omg i don't have a soul Cry), but i still really enjoyed it overall nonetheless. animation and music are of course high points, and i don't mind the emotional points, especially near the end. okay, hopefully everything's back to schedule soon!! (was originally a part of the previous comment for a couple of days but somehow the site doesn't note it was updated for everyone to see...weird...)
Progrockdude
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 10:44
Your Lie in April is beautiful. Loved it.
For me, it is nearly flawless until the introduction of Nagi Aziago. The blonde young girl. She just comes out of nowhere and takes over. Yea she brings interesting parts to the plot, but overall i thought that was the weakest aspect of the show. 
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 11:57
My favourite animes:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (also known as When They Cry) - my favourite anime and my personal favourite story ever written. Though the visual novel is still better. It is a mystical horror drama with some humour, which tells about the dark secrets of a Japanese village in the 1980s.

Baccano! - also a very good story about 1930s gangsters and alchemists, I think you have to watch it at least twice to piece everything together

Claymore - beautiful landscapes, frightening creatures and cold-eyed warrior beauties

Red Garden - a mysterious story about four very different girls being confronted with the death of one of their friends and a secret battle, which will also decide if they will survive

Clannad - about the life of a frustrated student who gets to know a few girls, helps them with their problems and starts to enjoy life, but has to face new hardship. A slice of life story with supernatural elements

Elfen Lied - a melancholic and gory story about krypto-scientific research which turns girls into killing machines
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 20:18
also went on watching Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches and i thought it was great as well, very interesting premise unless you take it the wrong way if you know what i mean. might start on the manga soon...
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 43>