Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 43>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 21:12
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

My favourite animes:

Baccano! - also a very good story about 1930s gangsters and alchemists, I think you have to watch it at least twice to piece everything together

Fantastic anime right here. Not for everyone with its unique storytelling, but for sure top notch. 

Have u watched Durarara!!!? 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 06:00

My favourite animes:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (also known as When They Cry) - my favourite anime and my personal favourite story ever written. Though the visual novel is still better. It is a mystical horror drama with some humour, which tells about the dark secrets of a Japanese village in the 1980s.

Baccano! - also a very good story about 1930s gangsters and alchemists, I think you have to watch it at least twice to piece everything together

Claymore - beautiful landscapes, frightening creatures and cold-eyed warrior beauties

Red Garden - a mysterious story about four very different girls being confronted with the death of one of their friends and a secret battle, which will also decide if they will survive

Clannad - about the life of a frustrated student who gets to know a few girls, helps them with their problems and starts to enjoy life, but has to face new hardship. A slice of life story with supernatural elements

Elfen Lied - a melancholic and gory story about krypto-scientific research which turns girls into killing machines

Higurashi is awesome, but people really need to watch both series to figure out the story.

Baccano! is pure genius.

I really like Claymore but I'm not a fan of the way they ended the anime. I know why they did it, because there was never any plans to do a second season so it ties up the story nicely, but the rcently finished manga was much better.

Red Garden sounds interesting, will have to try that, and I hear a lot about Clannad, may try that at some point as well.

Personally I find Elfin Lied to be overrated, it's great the first time you watch it but the weak plot become ever more apparent with repeat watching.

Currently going through the Bakuman series, about two young people trying to become mangaka's. The characters are excellent.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 06:43
@Horizons
I have not watched Durarara but it sounds great! Maybe I'll buy the UK Blu-ray release.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Higurashi is awesome, but people really need to watch both series to figure out the story.

Definitely, though I was a little sad when the story was over and all the mysteries had been unveiled ...  Unfortunately some of the OVAs have nothing of the spirit of the original story.

Quote I really like Claymore but I'm not a fan of the way they ended the anime. I know why they did it, because there was never any plans to do a second season so it ties up the story nicely, but the rcently finished manga was much better.

Yes, the ending was very fast-paced and not satisfying.

Quote Personally I find Elfin Lied to be overrated, it's great the first time you watch it but the weak plot become ever more apparent with repeat watching.

OK, I only watched it once, it was also one of my first animes, so I was very enthusiastic about it.

By the way, I can also recommend Another for those who like horror/suspense anime. And Shigurui - Death Frenzy for those who like it really dark and morbid. But Shigurui, like Claymore, has an ending which doesn't answer a lot of questions.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 21 2015 at 06:48
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 08:09

Currently going through the Bakuman series, about two young people trying to become mangaka's. The characters are excellent.
I like the self-aware shonen tropes in Bakuman.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 10:37

Quote Personally I find Elfin Lied to be overrated, it's great the first time you watch it but the weak plot become ever more apparent with repeat watching.

OK, I only watched it once, it was also one of my first animes, so I was very enthusiastic about it.

Same here, it was one of the first anime's I'd seen about 8 years ago and I loved it, but I rewatched it recently and, being far more familier with anime, didn't enjoy it as much. Too many cliched tropes with them all living in the same house, an undeveloped premise and the ultra violence isn't all that ultra in the end. 

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 16:31
the latest in the now HUGELY growing roster of anime is Arpeggio of Blue Steel; this may be too a "Kid A" type of series (so left-field i mean in terms of animation). it also revolves around battleships. I personally found it very entertaining as well thx to the Black Critic Guy's recommendation of the series (from this morning actually!!; it was 12 episodes long, so...), i'd highly check him out too if you are a fan of anime AND movies.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 14:18
the latest addition to add to this drastically increasing list (which i SERIOUSLY need to document somehow <cough>Myanimelist<cough>), Toradora! i think was a very enjoyable ride from beginning to end, especially as a romance anime!
Progrockdude
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2015 at 16:35
MAL is great. I'd suggest signing up asap.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 10:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

MAL is great. I'd suggest signing up asap.

I know! i tried once already with an email account i used to have but don't due to being busted by my mother due to "security paranoia" (too much of it is never a good thing sometimes), and i don't want to use "our" (meaning shared) email address, so.... yeah... i'm screwed in that sense.
Progrockdude
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 10:49
Or.... you make your own new email address.. 

LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 17:08
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Or.... you make your own new email address.. 

LOL

good luck to me then.........no, seriously........Stern Smile
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 19:51
I have realized just recently that I have completed my 50th anime with Cowboy Bebop. Which is kind of disappointing because it feels like more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 22:00
*breathes in* *breathes out* okay............. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood..... its hype is well deserved.... pretty much near-perfection in storytelling... 99.99% probably.... all the characters are fantastic, the foreshadowing and executions are solid all around, and the f**king animation... damn that was awesome.... if you call yourself an anime fan no matter if you're a veteran or not and you've not watched this damn series.... WAIT THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE AND GO WATCH THE  FUCensoredING THING ALREADY!!!!!!!!!
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 18:20
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

also forgot to mention, but i finished the original Fullmetal Alchemist series a couple of days ago (THANK GOD I FINALLY DID IT!!!) which was great. i plan to watch the whole franchise for that matter, with my order as follows:

1. 2003 Series
2. Conqueror of Shamballa
3. Brotherhood Series
4. The Sacred Star of Milos

after watching all of this, next up is Cowboy Bebop (which i actually own the complete series from my birthday money!)

got done with the last movie today, and i really enjoyed it. i wished they would have more time for the fights with the villains and/or exposition regarding a few things, but overall i prefer that one to the Shamballa film.
Progrockdude
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 20:24

also forgot to mention, but i finished the original Fullmetal Alchemist series a couple of days ago (THANK GOD I FINALLY DID IT!!!) which was great. i plan to watch the whole franchise for that matter, with my order as follows:

1. 2003 Series
3. Brotherhood Series

after watching all of this, next up is Cowboy Bebop (which i actually own the complete series from my birthday money!)

got done with the last movie today, and i really enjoyed it. i wished they would have more time for the fights with the villains and/or exposition regarding a few things, but overall i prefer that one to the Shamballa film.

Nah, Milos feels superfluous, shoe horned in somewhere along the main story of Brotherhood without any real attempt to make it fit in, and since that story very much had a resolution it kind of feels weird going back to Ed with both automail limbs and Al stuck in the armour suit again. Shamballa was pretty good, though not great, but served as a strong finish to the original series which I felt had a rather weak ending, particualrly compared to the manga and Brotherhood. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 12:44

1. 2003 Series
3. Brotherhood Series

Nah, Milos feels superfluous, shoe horned in somewhere along the main story of Brotherhood without any real attempt to make it fit in, and since that story very much had a resolution it kind of feels weird going back to Ed with both automail limbs and Al stuck in the armour suit again. Shamballa was pretty good, though not great, but served as a strong finish to the original series which I felt had a rather weak ending, particualrly compared to the manga and Brotherhood. 

that's true, and i also enjoyed Shamballa as I forgot to mention as well! although i didn't mind the change back into the old look as it was like that for the majority of the series.
Progrockdude
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2015 at 14:07

*breathes in* *breathes out* okay............. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood..... its hype is well deserved.... pretty much near-perfection in storytelling... 99.99% probably.... all the characters are fantastic, the foreshadowing and executions are solid all around, and the f**king animation... damn that was awesome.... if you call yourself an anime fan no matter if you're a veteran or not and you've not watched this damn series.... WAIT THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE AND GO WATCH THE  FUCensoredING THING ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good. I have bought the DVDs already, but haven't watched it yet.

I'm watching Bakemonogatari at the moment. Lots of great visuals (reminds me a bit of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika, which I recommend strongly). I don't know yet what to think of the story.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 07:40

Sounds good. I have bought the DVDs already, but haven't watched it yet.

I'm watching Bakemonogatari at the moment. Lots of great visuals (reminds me a bit of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika, which I recommend strongly). I don't know yet what to think of the story.

yeah, i have Madoka Magica among the ones i want to watch the most right now, and thank god it's on Netflix, too, lol.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 18:11
i finally finished Sankarea after watching biweekly on Xfinity, and it was OK, nothing really special. Enjoyment level was kind of high, though...
Progrockdude
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 21:06
I'm revisiting the first anime I ever saw when I was a kid in the mid 90's, Armitage III.  I recently saw the complete OVA and movie collection on Amazon for $15, so I couldn't say no.  We'll see how it's held up over the years.

Serial Experiments Lain and GitS: Arise will be up after that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 43>