Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 08:24
I like Darker Than Black, but it's pretty vague at world-building, as sleeper said, and even at storytelling. What I will say is that it is much better and clearer on repeat watches. They give you information in the first half that you don't understand until the second half, but you forget that information because you didn't understand it. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

BB is a strange one that I can't really describe why I like it, because when I think about the premise, it's kind of dumb. LOL
The music probably has something to do with it. I didn't like Black Butler, but the music kept me watching. 
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 01:36
I like the music and I like the setting for BB.  Other than that, I can't really tell you why I like it.

And I need to stop looking for new series to watch, because my list is growing and I just don't have the time to watch them all!  I'm sure we're all in the same "predicament", though.  My package from Amazon finally showed up tonight with Ergo Proxy, Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom and GitS Arise.  I've also added Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent and Gurren Lagaan to my list.  Good problem to have, I guess.

Also, to completely contradict what I just said, but are there any good horror series out there?  Not fantasy horror or anything like that, but like a more modern day setting that's actually kind of creepy? 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 03:18
The only one that I can really think of is Higurashi no Nako Koro Ni, but you have to watch the second season Kai as well to really get it all.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 07:36
I personally haven't watched it yet, but really want to soon- but maybe Monster? I hear it's a creepy, psychological horror. It's pretty long but I've never heard/read a negative thing about it.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 09:10
Mononoke is cool, like a horror version of mushishi. It's more unsettling than scary though.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 11:00

Also, to completely contradict what I just said, but are there any good horror series out there?  Not fantasy horror or anything like that, but like a more modern day setting that's actually kind of creepy?

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (the australian label Siren Visual released both seasons, I hope they're still available)
and ...
Another
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 14:16
I have Princess Mononoke, and it's a classic, but I'll definitely check the other series out.  Thanks guys!
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 14:36

You should start reading ero-guro. There are seriously dark, true horror there. I can list you loads of good mangakas from this genre. If you want anime.. pretty hard to find out. But "Mr Arashi's Amazing Freak Show" (Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki) from Maruo Suehiro, probably the pioneer ero guro mangaka, was adapted into an anime film. And it's excelent.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 14:41
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (the australian label Siren Visual released both seasons, I hope they're still available)

Far better than Death Note, and somehow underrated. One of my favorite "mainstream"/modern anime.

Aoi Buganku series does have some disturbing horror arcs out of the fantasy setting, if I remember right.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 17:29
Isn't Higurashi also titled When They Cry?  I'm seeing that a lot when I search for it.  Another is definitely in my queue to watch.

And I caved and bought both seasons of Darker Than Black.  The overall story is getting to be interesting, so I'll just start over, knowing what I know now.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 17:34
New shows are starting to pop up. Excited to start watching them. I love first episodes. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 17:47

I have Princess Mononoke, and it's a classic, but I'll definitely check the other series out.  Thanks guys!
Mononoke not Princess Mononoke. Two different things.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 18:08

Isn't Higurashi also titled When They Cry?

Yes, the first season was released on DVD as When They Cry in the US and in Australia, and the second season was released as Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai. There are also OVAs called Higurashi Rei, Kira, and Kaku, but only episodes 2-4 from Rei are really relevant for the overall story.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 21:29
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Mononoke not Princess Mononoke. Two different things.

Got it.  I'll have to check it out, then!

Then Another and When They Cry will be next.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 10:35
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I personally haven't watched it yet, but really want to soon- but maybe Monster? I hear it's a creepy, psychological horror. It's pretty long but I've never heard/read a negative thing about it.

I'll change that, it's rubbish. The writing for the characters is about as ham fisted as it gets.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 10:57
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'll change that, it's rubbish. The writing for the characters is about as ham fisted as it gets.
I loved Monster, but, retrospectively, it isn't a perfect series. I thought most of the characters were well-handled though, aside from Tenma, who does and develops very little over the course of the series. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 18:23
While I've added those recommendations to my must watch list, I recently finished Phantom Requiem For The Phantom.  It's basically broken up into three story arcs, all centering on the two assassins Ein and Zwei, and their struggle to find their true identity and break free from their super mob employer, Inferno.  It started out really strong, but the end felt kind of rushed and not really complete.  It also left me with too many questions to certain plot points that felt unfinished.  Not bad, overall, and I actually really enjoyed it, but I didn't care for the end.

Now on to Ergo Proxy, one that I'm enjoying immensely a few episodes in.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 17:43
I finally finished both Ghost in the Shell movies and both SAC seasons. It took me some time to watch the first season because most episodes were stand-alone stories (I can't say the title didn't warn me :P), so it didn't encourage me to watch the next one. The second season was better in that aspect though.

I created an account on MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/profile/scadima What do you think I should watch now?

Edited by Meltdowner - October 11 2015 at 17:45
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 17:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finally finished both Ghost in the Shell movies and both SAC seasons. It took me some time to watch the first season because most episodes were stand-alone stories (I can't say the title didn't warn me :P), so it didn't encourage me to watch the next one. The second season was better in that aspect though.

I created an account on MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/profile/scadima What do you think I should watch now?

hmmmm, guess you don't have thoughts on the anime you watched so far, huh... like there's nothing wrong with that to me, mind you, but just saying... anyway, maybe Gurren Lagann or Soul Eater?
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 43>