Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Just finished Welcome to the NHK. I had mixed, but mostly positive feelings towards the series. I would expect its subject matter to be instantly relatable for me, and it was, to an extent, but there were shifts in tone and character transformations that were too jarring or not well explained that hurt my enjoyment of the series. The satisfying way it wrapped up made me really wish the rest of the series were better. 

I know what you're saying.  Goofy and funny in parts, and then all of a sudden, a theme like suicide is brought front and center.  It's like, whoa, didn't see that coming...  I still loved it as a whole, though.  Excellent soundtrack, relatable characters and it was nice to watch an anime that was realistic and not action oriented.  Nice change of pace.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 20:28
UPDATE: finished Unlimited Blade Works. personally, probably my favorite of the series I've watched (even though it WAS the one I was looking forward to the most, tbh). Ufotable's technical masterpiece, in terms of art and animation (ESPECIALLY the latter). The story was overall good (but not the best), Rin x Shirou for life, and Berserker = best Servant. I am well aware of the presumed inconsistencies in correlations with the visual novel, the flaws from the source material itself, and the symbolism that went over my head that came from mythology and other Type-Moon products (specifically The Garden of Sinners movie series, which I plan to watch in the future). So yeah, really like this series!! Thumbs Up
Progrockdude
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 00:23
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I started Code Geass, and it's pretty awesome.  Also, thanks to a combination of online sales and receiving some gift cards already, I've been able to buy some more anime.  Ordered Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Perfect Blue, Samurai Champloo (already seen), Paprika, Kino's Journey, Mobile Suit Gundam BR part 1 and Royal Space Force. 

I'm still thinking about getting Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Noir, but I'm not sure I want to spend even more on anime. haha
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 04:34
I'm watching Ghost Hunt (not to be confused with Ghost Hound) at the moment. It is a nice story about a group consisting of a "Ghost Hunter", his office assistant, a buddhist monk, a female shinto priest, a catholic exorcist and a psychic, trying to solve several cases of curses, haunted buildings etc. There are many scary moments, though the horror never becomes very intense, and also some funny interaction between the characters. In a certain way it is kind of a hareem story, since all the female characters seem to have a crush on the ghost hunter, but it is told from the office assistant's point of view who gradually discovers her own psychic talent. The ghosts are not simply shown as forces of evil but the tragic events that led to humans becoming ghosts are also told during the investigations. Though it is not a highlight like Attack on Titan, I really like the series.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - December 02 2015 at 04:35
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 05:12
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Just finished Welcome to the NHK. I had mixed, but mostly positive feelings towards the series. I would expect its subject matter to be instantly relatable for me, and it was, to an extent, but there were shifts in tone and character transformations that were too jarring or not well explained that hurt my enjoyment of the series. The satisfying way it wrapped up made me really wish the rest of the series were better. 

I know what you're saying.  Goofy and funny in parts, and then all of a sudden, a theme like suicide is brought front and center.  It's like, whoa, didn't see that coming...  I still loved it as a whole, though.  Excellent soundtrack, relatable characters and it was nice to watch an anime that was realistic and not action oriented.  Nice change of pace.

Did you read the manga? It's awesome and more explicit.

I'm watching Zipang right now. 

Oh, folks, I played with Esmectatons at an anime event, we had to play at least two anime themes there, so before the improvisations we did: Duvet (SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN) and Ai Wo Torimodose (HOKUTO NO KEN).

-------------------------------------------
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 17:00
I haven't.  I didn't even know about the show's existence until last month when I decided to buy it on a whim after reading some reviews.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 04:49
I finished Ergo Proxy yesterday, it was great. Towards the last episodes, I was wondering how they would end the story in so little time, but they managed to end it properly. It's just strange that the first three and the last three episodes are so fast paced and the rest is quite slow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 17:37
Ergo was so good.  Definitely one that I'll go back to.  That and Code Geass.  I only have about 10 episodes to go, and it's just getting better and better.  One thing I love is that any character can die at any moment without warning.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 17:56
^ Are you watching the first or the second season of Code Geass?

Edited by Meltdowner - December 10 2015 at 17:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 21:16
About halfway through the second season. 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 21:52
Finished Clannad. I enjoyed it, but it had some pretty glaring flaws, unfortunately. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 09:19
My airing shows will be ending soon, and i've been really pleased with them:

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End
Gundams: Iron-Blooded Orhpans

after those i think i'll be starting some Tokyo Ghoul finally, as well as Tatami Galaxy and Pandora Hearts. Also in the mix will be some of the winter season's animes as well as Trigun, Ghost Hound, and Hyouka. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOTOMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 10:00

Finished Clannad. I enjoyed it, but it had some pretty glaring flaws, unfortunately. 

THe after story season made me cry

Finished Zipang, gonna continue G Gundam (i'm stucked at the first episodes since forever)

-------------------------------------------
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 11:12
I've heard After Story is better. I'll probably start it sometime today.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End

after those i think i'll be starting some Tokyo Ghoul finally, as well as Tatami Galaxy and Pandora Hearts. Also in the mix will be some of the winter season's animes as well as Trigun, Ghost Hound, and Hyouka. 
I loved Tatami Galaxy. It might be one of my favorites. Make sure to keep your hand ready to stop the video at all times. The dialogue moves pretty fast. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 11:18
Yea i've heard the main characters's dialogues are quite interesting. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 11:48

What do you think the flaws are? Clannad is still one of my favourites. I think I must watch it again some time. Anyway you should make sure to watch After Story.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 12:09
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

What do you think the flaws are? Clannad is still one of my favourites. I think I must watch it again some time. Anyway you should make sure to watch After Story.
Nagisa was kind of indistinct in the foil of unique characters she had (aside from Ryou). I couldn't quite put together Nagisa's and Tomoya's disparate personalities, or, rather, the series didn't really clarify what they liked about one another, just that their flaws weren't offensive to the other. And when they were finally together (which happened too soon after that play and Nagisa's emotional breakdown), the writers' tried too hard to make them a "cute" couple, an effort that eventually just made their relationship feel just a little meaningless. The summer episode was kind of tedious. It was just hard to empathize with that aspect of the show. The final episode in an alternate universe where Tomoya and Tomoyo were dating, even though it was fan-ship fodder, was a lot better handled AND they actually gave Tomoya an actual character crisis. He didn't really get much of that during the series. 

The last thing is that there were some logical inconsistencies. Like why Tomoya could vouch that Tomoyo assaulting Sunohara in the hallway was "self-defense" when he couldn't when she was surrounded by those shady looking dudes? And why she was let off the hook when that motorcycle duo cropped up? There were definitely others (plus small things like Tomoya wearing a tie getup when working in Kotomi's garden), but that one was more of a plot-mover so it comes to mind more easily.

I found the show very endearing despite its flaws, though.

Edited by Polymorphia - December 11 2015 at 12:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 12:35
Thanks, I must admit that I don't remember the story well enough, so I can't answer to your observations in detail. But when I rewatch it, I'll try to keep them in mind. I'm glad that you liked it nevertheless.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 17:40
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Everything Becomes F
Concrete Revolution
Seraph of the End

haven't watched any of those, but my main watching schedule is like this:

One Punch Man
Mr. Osomatsu
A Corpse Is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet
Noragami Aragato (caught up to)

not necessarily in any order, persay