Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 40414243>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 16:41
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Okay, definitely going to the side right now, trying to start the Monogatari series during spring break (the last couple of days of it anyway). So far, I finished Bake- and Nisemonogatari, and I really enjoyed it for obvious reasons. The art and animation were beautiful and definitely not of the usual anime, and of f**king course the dialogue and the characters were the main driving force behind it all. Laughing my ass off as well as really being enthralled with the action (when it actually comes lol), Hitagi = bae, her and Araragi being one hell of a couple, I can't wait to see what else comes next whenever I resume my adventure with this series. The pausing to try and read the subtitles (especially with on-screen dialogue) was a pain in the ass, however (especially the first couple of minutes of the first episode of Bake, dear God (also heard it was all in Kizumonogatari as well)).
I'm surprised you liked Nise. It was most certainly, in my opinion, the weakest part of the show. I was quite a fan of the other series, though, to varying degrees (Nekomonogatari White, Koimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, and Owarimonogatari in particular).
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 17:51
I recently finished Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad and Blue Gender.  Both were pretty good, although I liked Chop Squad a bit more than BG and at some point, I might re-watch it.  I never thought I'd enjoy an anime about a high school rock band, but it was actually very well written with excellent character development and the songs were actually good, too.  I watched in English and so, therefore, the songs were also in English and after having listened to a few of my favorites from the show in both languages, I much preferred the English versions.  They just felt more natural to me.  Probably because I don't listen to too many Japanese bands. LOL
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 19:06
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Okay, definitely going to the side right now, trying to start the Monogatari series during spring break (the last couple of days of it anyway). So far, I finished Bake- and Nisemonogatari, and I really enjoyed it for obvious reasons. The art and animation were beautiful and definitely not of the usual anime, and of f**king course the dialogue and the characters were the main driving force behind it all. Laughing my ass off as well as really being enthralled with the action (when it actually comes lol), Hitagi = bae, her and Araragi being one hell of a couple, I can't wait to see what else comes next whenever I resume my adventure with this series. The pausing to try and read the subtitles (especially with on-screen dialogue) was a pain in the ass, however (especially the first couple of minutes of the first episode of Bake, dear God (also heard it was all in Kizumonogatari as well)).
I'm surprised you liked Nise. It was most certainly, in my opinion, the weakest part of the show. I was quite a fan of the other series, though, to varying degrees (Nekomonogatari White, Koimonogatari, Hanamonogatari, and Owarimonogatari in particular).

I actually was able to finish it all (WOOHOO!!!), and looking back on it, I would have to agree to an extent to it probably being one of my least favorite seasons along with maybe Kabukimonogatari and controversially Koimonogatari (can't really put my finger why that is besides maybe enjoying it less than other seasons. It's because of Kaiki, isn't it, or was it me being robbed of that "final boss" scenario? LOL but seriously, it's probably because it came out of left field and out of character for both of the main parties involved if you ask me. BUT, I'm aware that I'm probably missing something from it (as many things in it went WAY over my head since I'm a foreigner and all) besides the ending (which was the best part of that season imho)). However, I enjoyed it for what it's worth, even with that infamous scene. I do agree however with the fans on Nekomonogatari White, Hanamonogatari, and Owarimonogatari (especially the former and latter, since it's for me the two best seasons since Bakemonogatari). So yeah, that's me and all.

P.S. I'd seriously pay for that aforementioned scenario to f**king happen. It sounded so cool that I thought that that's the route the series would be going. Probably went into my "disappointment" (put quotes there for a reason) and not being able to see the supposed genius behind that particular arc and all.

P.P.S. That cliffhanger at the end of Koyomimonogatari pissed me the f**k off, and I'm dying to see what's going to happen next. Probably the reason why I won't check out series like Spice and Wolf since they have that problem but more permanent (confident that Monogatari will get yet another season lol, which is always fine with me).

Edited by Michael678 - May 24 2016 at 19:09
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 19:25
Wait, Koyomimonogatari actually played into the plot? I shouldn't have dropped it then. Shocked

I'm watching Earth Maiden Arjuna, and, aside from some terrible CGI it really is a great anime, and Yoko Kanno on the beat, yo! I've never ordered an anime soundtrack before, and now I have, plus an album by the singer of the OP and an ED (the album also being produced by Yoko Kanno). It's an actually interesting exploration of environmentalism. The subtext is seemingly obvious, but it doesn't dehumanize it's opponents and some of the symbolism of the Raaja and Chris' insistence on not killing them adds a lot of nuance. 

Edited by Polymorphia - May 24 2016 at 19:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 06:51
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Wait, Koyomimonogatari actually played into the plot? I shouldn't have dropped it then. Shocked

Yep, it does apparently LOL!! I also heard the situations found in each episode also play a role in the rest of the Owarimonogatari novels (there being three of them actually; we only got half of the material so far). That's what I've read (or at least remember) from the series' Wikia page.

And on top of that, why the f**k was that particular season released as a mobile app? I mean, I get it, the episodes are shorter than the average TV episode and OVA, but still, could you have just released them legally through something like Nico Nico Douga or something? And so that we could get it through Crunchyroll, Hulu, and/or any other legal sites?

On a related note, it's a pain in the ass waiting to watch the Kizumonogatari movie (the first one anyway), especially since I wasn't able to see it in theaters (mainly due to my lack of interest of watching the series at the time), and I'm not sure if it'll ever go on Crunchyroll or something. I can only hope. Cry
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 17:33
The Psycho Pass movie comes out tomorrow in the US, so I'll be ordering that.  As much as I liked season 2, this will be the true sequel to the first season, which was a masterpiece.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 05:48
Wait, there's a sequel to Psycho Pass? I thought the story already had a conclusion at the end of the season!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 06:21
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Wait, there's a sequel to Psycho Pass? I thought the story already had a conclusion at the end of the season!

An actual, legitimate one, or so I heard lol.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 15:06
There's the first season, a second season (only 11 episodes), which is a sequel to the first and then the movie.  I'm told that the movie is more of a sequel to the first season than the second season is, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that for sure.  And as much flack as the second season gets, it's still pretty good.  Not as good as the first season, but still pretty good.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2016 at 20:59
Don't know if this has been said but Mushi-shi is fantastic. Basically the progressive rock equivalent to anime.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:39
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Don't know if this has been said but Mushi-shi is fantastic. Basically the progressive rock equivalent to anime.

Hmmmmm, interesting comparison. Care to have a spoiler-free explanation?
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 10:40
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

I'm told that the movie is more of a sequel to the first season than the second season is, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that for sure.

They just want people to forget its existence lol.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 19:14

I'm told that the movie is more of a sequel to the first season than the second season is, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know that for sure.

And I don't understand that, because I think it's a great addition to the franchise.

I'm re-watching both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop and I'm reminded how awesome Watanabe is.  The characters, atmospheres, settings, music, etc.  All perfect.  The voice of Steven Blum always helps, too.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 21:26
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I love Mushi-shi but I don't get the comparison. I'd compare it more to minimalism or ambient or some such.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2016 at 14:17

And I don't understand that, because I think it's a great addition to the franchise.

I'm re-watching both Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop and I'm reminded how awesome Watanabe is.  The characters, atmospheres, settings, music, etc.  All perfect.  The voice of Steven Blum always helps, too.

1. They would agree with you, but it's just that they do NOT want any pieces of sh*t that are a part of the franchise...which they think the second season is, so...

2. Also, I only got into 10 episodes of Samurai Champloo and NOTHING from Cowboy Bebop (despite actually owning the damn series LOL). I've enjoyed what I saw of the former, though I may need a redo to refresh myself and whatnot, especially because I was THAT lazy back in the winter of this year.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 15:55
The Psycho Pass movie was damn good and picked up sometime after the second season, although I doubt this will be the end of the franchise because this wasn't really any kind of a climax or anything to the story.  There's still plenty that could be done with it. 

And I'm starting to venture into the Ghibli Studio movies now, having ordered Castle In The Sky and Nausicaa.  I'm picking up My Neighbor Totoro today and I already have Princess Mononoke, which is one of the best movies I've ever seen, anime or not.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 06:14
I finished Monster yesterday, and rated it 10/10 on MAL. Complex plot, amazing characters (and lots of them), no fillers and very entertaining. It really didn't seem like 74 episodes long.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 08:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finished Monster yesterday, and rated it 10/10 on MAL. Complex plot, amazing characters (and lots of them), no fillers and very entertaining. It really didn't seem like 74 episodes long.

Yeah, Monster is a good show. I watched it many years ago and really enjoyed it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 17:00
^I'd love for Monster to get a decent release on this side of the Pacific.  And on that note, Funimation is finally giving both seasons of Code Geass and Ergo Proxy blu ray releases this fall.  Time to replace my dvd copies now...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 20:03
Been awhile since anyone posted in this thread.  

Anyway, I've watched a few more series in the past couple of months and have a few more on the way.  I watched Gungrave, Robotics;Notes, and currently watching Jormungand.

Gungrave was surprisingly decent, although nothing crazy special about it.  Just a good crime anime.

RN was a bit disappointing as I read that it was a pretty good mystery anime and what was revealed was kind of lame.  Not terrible, but not great.

Jormungand is fan-freaking-tastic, so far.  Excellent gun anime in a similar vein to Black Lagoon and in ways to Stand Alone Complex (the whole team aspect).

After I finish that, I ordered Heat Guy J, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, and the Mardock Scramble movie trilogy.  I pretty much dove head first with these choices without much prior knowledge of them.  I watched trailers for all three and they each seemed pretty interesting, so I figured what the hell. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 40414243>