Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:41
I like non-action, but it's just that most non actions seem to be overtly sentmental. Either that or they're "Love Hina", which i just can't stand.
One that didn't, however, was Last Exile, but i guess you know that one as well.
I haven't really dug deep into anime, i guess i got turned off by my last two adventures into anime-land (Love hina and Kimi ga nozomu eien which, while not that bad, was too typically sentimental in a pretty annoying way). Plus i got turned on by grown up comics when i found some really good swedish ones which suited my style more than anime. Plus i love "ghost world". Essential reading for everyone.

However, i don't think that sort of stuff has support enough around here to make an appreciation thread about.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 21:15
Yes, with some of the more shameless romantic animes you may as well be watching Disney. I hoped to guide people or be lead to the more classy examples...

My latest flirtation has been with Vampire Princess Miyu which has drama, action, romance and the inescapable sadness of futility. Aw. =)
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamemako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Although this is an "appreciation" thread, you can still come in here to voice critical opinions of the shows (if not the viewers!) =)

Oh Lord. Should I? I mean, this could get messy.
Hail Eris!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 08:59
And that reminds me. FINAL FANTASY VII IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

"Noo, why, Aeris will never laugh again, never cry, never be alive and happy.."
"Hahaha.. you... are... A PUPPET!"
"...NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!"

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 19:37
i lol'd at her death

is there something wrong with me?

do i care if there is?

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 04:35
No, you are just young.

Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forgotten Son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 22:58
My first AMV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0PnP1C_Lj0

I'm shamlessly plugging this in every forum I can think of. Not something I would ordinarily do, but as it's the first one I've ever made, and it turned out quite well, I'm really proud of it and want to share it with as many people as possible.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyitsthatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 14:48
I have a working theory
that if a band exists
there exists a song for that band in AMV form on youtube
I've noticed there are some lacking examples of older prog bands

hmmm? PA? hmmmmmmm?Shocked

crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 15:30

Anyone saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes , thats a very good series with an intresting plot.

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passionist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 17:55

Well, as of series, I've seen Love Hina and Urusei Yatsura both from beginnign to the end, and I loved them both. Enough to watch all the episodes at least. They're pretty different, UY with the 80s style and all. But pretty similar at times. 

Though I'm not so good with series. But I love movies like Tonari no Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle and Mononoke. They're just so great, basically because the story is great, and well, the drawing is awesome, even to those who don't like the mainstream fast-to-draw animestyle they use in  stuff like Bible Black.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el böthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 20:05
I pretty much can´t satnd most anime... but damn it, is Evangelion on hell of a series!!!Clap
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 21:14
3 of my all time favorite movies are:
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
They Were 11
Ghost In the Shell

we've been gradually watching Anime series over the past few years with the benefit of Netflix,
the 2 that shine above the rest (IMO) have been:
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Full Metal Alchemist

some of the others I've really liked:
Planetes - (an amazing series dedicated to humanity's early ventures into Space, a respectful nod towards Arthur C Clarke, it was kind of sappy at times too but I liked that about the show...)
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Hellsing
FLCL - (was a manic little morsel, its a quick watch but well worth it)

I wasn't crazy about Neon Genesis Evangelion, which seems to be somewhat a holy grail of anime, I respect its influence on other Anime series that came after it, but the show itself seemed to be a bit of an on going struggle; budget cuts and time constraints seem to be the culprit. They kind of botched the last 2 episodes in the series and then tried to "redo" the ending with a set of movies: first movie - first half recap of the series, the second half being - the first half of the second movie; second movie being the second half of the first movie and the finally finishing of with a long drawn out ending with an attempt to be deep, philosophical and spiritual, ....I don't know it wasn't as touching as it should have been...they overkilled it if you ask me,

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 21:23
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

but found Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai to have a lasting impression. From memory this was the a sequel in the Ghost in the Shell series. So far I have failed to pursue the earlier incarnations of the show; besides the first movie I believe there was a TV series.

interesting....I know a lot of people that prefer "Inosensu: Kokaku Kidotai", over the first Ghost In The Shell, can't say that I blame them it's a mindbender of a film,

and FYI, the series came after the movies, and are unrelated stories although they involve the same characters, Wink

...in many ways I like the series better, even more epic and complex story lines,

Edited by mithrandir - July 12 2008 at 21:26
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimson87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2008 at 00:43
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I pretty much can´t satnd most anime... but damn it, is Evangelion on hell of a series!!!Clap

Yeah , the same happens to me.Most anime is or extremely violent or either extremely stupid and childish.Evangelion is one of the few exeptions to me , although I hate those robots and the way they move.
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kazansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 21:44
I'd reccomend Welcome to the N.H.K (nhk ni yokoso) especially for those who don't have a 'life'

quite realistic in a way
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 02:49
The husband and I have been doing marathon sessions of the shojo series "Marmalade Boy" whenever we can find time off work. It's very entertaining, especially because you're constantly trying to keep up with all the various intertwining love octogons.

He's also been buying up every yaoi anime we can find at Best Buy (the tame love stories, not the hardcore stuff). It's always funny to see the reactions of the cashiers when we purchase yaoi DVD's.

There's a lot of talk in this thread about anime being violent, but there's also plenty of cute sappy love stories for those of us who don't enjoy ultraviolence.

Edited by Harry Hood - July 30 2008 at 02:50
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el böthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 22:51
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Yeah , the same happens to me.Most anime is or extremely violent or either extremely stupid and childish.Evangelion is one of the few exeptions to me , although I hate those robots and the way they move.

I find the main problem with anime is that its too violent and too stupid and childish all at the same time.
And yes, the whole robots and children fighting is Evangelions "weak" point (as its what it has more in common with regular anime) but the whole idea behind it, the philosofical and phycological factors... blew me away
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Real Paradox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 00:23
I'm only 14 years old, my great love is music, literature, Cinema and Anime. Mainly all of the concepts I enjoy must be either complex or simple but with an occult  type of ideology and theory behind it. All of that based in logic. And i can like anything really without having pre-concepts of what I've gained knowledge of. The one thing I enjoy about an Anime, is the fact that, the creators of the story, plot and main art for the piece of work that they want to make, somewhat have an artistic freedom when they use Anime. In a current motion picture that involves human beings as actors, they sometimes don't find the exact same person they pictured. For these reasons, I think if i ever write down a story that would be audiovisual, I'd chose Anime. I also like Cinema, but when I talk about it, I feel ultimately drawn to the actors and film directors and also the script writers. Same is applied to Theater. So when you guys talk about faces and stuff "kawaii"(lol) like that, I think its not something to be worried about or to feel hatred about, its simply just another form of producing art, manufactured or with the help of computerized visual effects. Evangelion is an awesome series. Just as Ergo Proxy is, but the crucial matter here, is that some people think the efforts of producing a well elaborated and cultural referenced with a taste of their own, is futile and therefore pseudo-intellectual. I'm sorry, but although my knowledge of anime is not that wide (and prioritized), I disagree. Anime is good, if it makes you think, and shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Monster, Ghost In the Shell, Grave of the Fireflies, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Paprika and Mushishi, are sure good and logical examples of such Anime.  
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 03:01
Mushishi was great! truly one of the most unique television shows I've ever seen.  Each episode has a breezy  and dreamy atmosphere, supported by great ethereal music.  Many of the episodes ended up being very sad too, I would feel sort of down and sleepy after watching such an episode.  Definitely not for Anime fans looking for loud fast paced fighting robots, it's the complete opposite of all that...I would recommend it to someone looking for something more clam and contemplative....
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UndercoverBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 21:40
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Mind you, you can NEVER go wrong with the films of Miyazaki. I dare anyone with a human heart to watch Spirited Away and not be utterly enthralled.

This.  Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful and moving films I've ever seen, animated or otherwise.  A must for anyone who appreciates beauty in cinema.

As for anime not made by Miyazaki, I think that Neon Genesis Evangelion is among the cream of the crop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 43>