Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 22:41
Zombie thread is resurrected. I am currently watching scryed. It's interesting and entertaining, but it seems like there such a disconnect in most anime's I watch because the plots and dialog just seem kinda goofy. Don't get me wrong, I still like some of them, but it usually in spite of these sorts of things. The only anime I ever thought that was actually really well written was Paranoia Agent. That was an amazing ride for sure. And of course Miyazaki's stuff, but I don't really classify that as anime.
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peart_lee_lifeson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 13:09
Cowboy Bebop and Death Note have become two of my favorites.  They are not just about action and fighting.  Death Note is a really intelligent show, while Cowboy Bebop has great humor.
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synchestra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 06:22
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

And that reminds me. FINAL FANTASY VII IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE!

"Noo, why, Aeris will never laugh again, never cry, never be alive and happy.."
"Hahaha.. you... are... A PUPPET!"
"...NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!"
I only just finished that game a month ago on PSP (I never had a ps as a kid, i had the best bike on the block though LOL) and man, somehow her death got to me. I mean, it wasn't as bad as the companion cube or anything, but wow what a great game.

I don't watch nearly enough anime. I've seen FLCL, its... Well it is alot of fun but man did it scare me the first time LOL. I've watched 7 seasons of Bleach. And some Inu yasha but thats really about it. Oh and of course I've seen some films like Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away but mainly the really popular stuff. I really should get more into it!

Also what was this about Neil Gaiman and princess Mononoke? I read Never Winter Nights the other day and I'm definately looking for anything else by him (mostly Sandman stuff though)
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:25
^Isnt Never Winter Nights one of D&D's Forgotten Realms RPG games?

Over the last year and a half I've developed (and still developing) quite the appreciation for anime. Obviously I love the Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is one of my all time favourite films) but I tend to go for the quite serious and, yes, ultraviolent series and films. The best I've come across so far is:

Blood the Last Vampire
Ghost in the Shell (both films, but after watching the first two episodes I gave up on SAC, battle tanks with high pitched girlie voices are a no-no for me.)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fullmetal Alchemist
Guyver
Appleseed and Appleseed: Ex Machina
Sky Blue

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:31
I belong to the faction of those who dislike anime. Sorry, but the childish faces on characters which have definitely adult experiences simply turn me off.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 13 2010 at 18:32

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 18:37
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I belong to the faction of those who dislike anime. Sorry, but the childish faces on characters which have definitely adult experiences simply turn me off.

Strange your presence is, in an anime appreciation thread then. Wink

I only know of vampire-related anime... Blood-The Last Vampire (disappointing), Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (amazing both of them) and the series Trinity-Blood (it started good, I have to finish watching it) and Hellsing (soon to be obtained). 

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Strange your presence is, in an anime appreciation thread then. Wink

I only know of vampire-related anime... Blood-The Last Vampire (disappointing), Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust (amazing both of them) and the series Trinity-Blood (it started good, I have to finish watching it) and Hellsing (soon to be obtained). 

The initiator of the thread  explicitly asked people who don't like animes to utter their opinion, so I did.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
lotte View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2010 at 18:31
Lately I have been watching (and reading) Baccano!, I'm a fan of Hellsing as well as Fruits Basket, which is actually my gateway series :)
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinemaZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 16:30
My favorites:

5. Baccano!
4. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Durarara!!
2. Trigun
1. Cowboy Bebop

And my page...
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:23
l completeIy forgot about Lain in my recommendations thread! Thank you for reminding me.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:26
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Zombie thread is resurrected. I am currently watching scryed. It's interesting and entertaining, but it seems like there such a disconnect in most anime's I watch because the plots and dialog just seem kinda goofy. Don't get me wrong, I still like some of them, but it usually in spite of these sorts of things. The only anime I ever thought that was actually really well written was Paranoia Agent. That was an amazing ride for sure. And of course Miyazaki's stuff, but I don't really classify that as anime.

Whether or not you classify it as Anime doesn't change the fact that it IS Anime.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DisgruntledPorcupine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:32

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzimiya is a pretty odd show, but I love it. Anyone else love it?

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:39
I've never even heard of it. Care to elaborate?
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DisgruntledPorcupine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:49
Well, it did not run for very long and has few episodes. It's a comedy about a girl (Haruhi Suzumiya) who is completely insane and gathers a bunch of others together to investigate any mysterious activities happening around her town. The story is told from a man named Kyon's point of view. When I say it is an odd anime, I mean it can be very silly at points, which is good for some (like me) and might turn others away. I would go more in depth, but I don't want to spoil anything.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 18:52
Alright, I might check it out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinemaZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 19:09
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Alright, I might check it out.
My thoughts:

First Season: Very Far From Perfect, But the Idea Is Brilliant
Second Season: Run And Never Come Back
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:06
^ Yikes. Well, I'm building an account right now on that 'myanimelist' thingy, so I'll see how similar we are in taste based on the info I put in. If we have parallel opinions for the most part, I'll trust you and just leave the series alone. I can't waste all my money on these box sets, and quality fandubs aren't always easy/legal to find. 

EDIT: forget it. I'm not going to try a million times to type in that captcha bullsh*t just to put a list up online. 

Edited by JLocke - June 23 2010 at 22:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CinemaZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:07
Kewl.

EDIT: Oh, and a little warning first (if you're going to watch the show). If you buy the DVD, it might come in an order that isn't chronological. It's pretty confusing, so if you need help, just check this.

DOUBLE EDIT: I only had to do it once, but okay. :P

Edited by CinemaZebra - June 23 2010 at 22:13
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 22:51
  ^ Well, it took me three tries, but I did finally get accepted, so yeah. My profile name is the same as it is here. I'll be updating and changing my lists for several days, I'm sure, but feel free to befriend me on there.   

EDIT: Oh hell, I just went ahead and sent you a friend request. Embarrassed

Edited by JLocke - June 23 2010 at 23:22
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 23:33
Wow, bro. Just based on what little bit I've added to my list so far, you and I only have a 1.13 difference between our opinions. That's pretty damn close. 

Looks like I won't be watching Haruhi Suzimiya anytime soon. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 43>