Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime appreciation thread~!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 43>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 12:14
I finished Attack on Titan recently and I can really recommend this one. It is quite action-packed and scary, with a seemingly simple scenario in the beginning, but the storyline also keeps evolving into something more ambiguous and surprising as the series goes along. I have also started reading the manga. I hope there will be a second season very soon.

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I finished Berserk last Friday, very addictive anime, too bad they never ended the story. I feel like I should read the manga... that's probably why it's the top rated manga on MAL.

The manga is great, though I consider the part which has been made into the anime (the Golden Age) the best one. The Dark Age (you get to see a glimpse of it in the beginning of the anime) is not finished yet. What I don't like about the Dark Age are the two annoying comic relief characters Puck and Isidro. It's still very good though because of the astonishing artwork.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 14:46
^ I think Attack on Titan will continue next year.

It's not finished yet? I guess the writer isn't interested on ending the story.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 06:32
Yeah, he hasn't released a new chapter for Berserk in some time now. It has been running for nearly 30 years now so it's not that much of a surprise that he's got a bit bored with it, but the Dark Age is so far considerably longer than the Golden Age and made up of multiple arcs at this point.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 10:41
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Yeah, he hasn't released a new chapter for Berserk in some time now. It has been running for nearly 30 years now so it's not that much of a surprise that he's got a bit bored with it, but the Dark Age is so far considerably longer than the Golden Age and made up of multiple arcs at this point.

funny, i noticed that new chapters are coming out monthly, if you ever want to know
Progrockdude
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 13:38
Really? Maybe he's restarted then, there was certainly a period not so long ago where there wasn't anything.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 12:00
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Really? Maybe he's restarted then, there was certainly a period not so long ago where there wasn't anything.

Yeah, I heard. I haven't watched the anime nor read the manga, but I am aware the new chapters are online right now if, again, you're interested.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 14:07
catched up on Noragami and its second season; really enjoyed it overall. I'm aware of the ongoing manga as it didn't include everything shown so far as well as cutting out some things in the anime (from what I've heard/seen) (Yukine's forgotten human life comes up among other things). Kind of melodramatic at some points (like episode 9). probably a 7 for season 1. Aragato so far is better in my opinion.
Progrockdude
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 06:54
I have started watching Ghost Hunt recently. After the impact from Attack on Titan it seems nothing special, but it is a very nice, rather calm story so far, though I think it will become more scary during the following arcs. What I particularly like about it is the depiction of the characters as good-willed but fallible persons without the overblown perfection which you see in other stories about esoteric professionals. The only exception is Kazuya "Naru" Shibuya but the others make fun of him for being so narcisstic. It is a well working mixture of slight comedy and scary ghost stories.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 03:20
Recently finished Welcome To The NHK and Speed Grapher (both were so good and will warrant a repeat viewing) and now I'm on to Gurren Lagann.  It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but I'm really liking it now.  Not really the deepest plot as it's basically just good vs. evil with goofy mecha battles, but the characters are very well developed and actually make you care for them throughout.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 04:22
I'm currently watching Ergo Proxy, the first three episodes were quite confusing, very fast-paced, but then it all made sense. Great story, I'm really enjoying it so far Thumbs Up The most confusing thing was knowing that Daedalus is a guy after a few episodes, since in Japanese it's voiced by a woman Confused 
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 04:44
That's not unusual though. I remember some young sensitive male characters voiced by female seiyuu. For example, Yuu Kobayashi voiced Satoshi in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Kanon in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Quote Recently finished Welcome To The NHK and Speed Grapher (both were so good and will warrant a repeat viewing) and now I'm on to Gurren Lagann

I'm also looking forward to watching these animes.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - November 18 2015 at 04:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 05:04
^ I never saw any of these. I just thought it was strange that no one mentioned the character in third person and some episodes later another character repeatedly talks about "him" and what "he" did Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 05:44
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

...now I'm on to Gurren Lagann.  It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but I'm really liking it now.  Not really the deepest plot as it's basically just good vs. evil with goofy mecha battles, but the characters are very well developed and actually make you care for them throughout.

nice! Thumbs Up
Progrockdude
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Recently finished Welcome To The NHK and Speed Grapher (both were so good and will warrant a repeat viewing) and now I'm on to Gurren Lagann.  It took me a couple of episodes to get into it, but I'm really liking it now.  Not really the deepest plot as it's basically just good vs. evil with goofy mecha battles, but the characters are very well developed and actually make you care for them throughout.
Watching NHK now actually.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 23:25
What was Speed Grapher like?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 18:24
^Very graphic, with violence and some sexual content.  Not too much, though.  Really good and, because I'm terrible at explaining things, here's a the plot description:

"Speed Grapher follows the exploits of former war photographer Tatsumi Saiga, who investigates a secret fetish club for the ultra-wealthy called the Roppongi Club. He tries to photograph the club's "goddess," a 15-year-old, exploited girl named Kagura, but is discovered. As he is about to be killed, Kagura kisses him, granting him the ability to destroy anything he photographs. Saiga soon discovers that Kagura's body fluids, like her saliva, in combination with a certain "virus", can give people bizarre abilities relating to their secret desires, fetishes, and obsessions. Club members strive for the honor of becoming "gifted" via Kagura's power. Saiga soon becomes entangled in this secret underground society and the powerful and corrupt Tennōzu Group mega-corporation that operates it. He attempts to free Kagura, a move that puts the two of them on the run from the Tennōzu Group and blood-thirsty members of the club with bizarre and often horrifying special powers."

Worth a watch, for sure.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 21:41
Hmm interesting.

If you had to compare it to an anime - which would it be like?
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillsLayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 22:07
Special powers unique to the people that have them is very similar to Darker Than Black.  The style is somewhat noirish and not completely unlike Ghost In The Shell or Black Lagoon (definitely NOT story-wise, but with the style). 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:37
Just finished Welcome to the NHK. I had mixed, but mostly positive feelings towards the series. I would expect its subject matter to be instantly relatable for me, and it was, to an extent, but there were shifts in tone and character transformations that were too jarring or not well explained that hurt my enjoyment of the series. The satisfying way it wrapped up made me really wish the rest of the series were better. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 16:47
I finished Fate/Zero a few hours ago, and i thought that was some good sh*t. Ufotable did a splendid job for animation but i did see some derps (mainly from the character animation, their downside i'd say) and some frame changes that kind of made me go "whaaaaaa? what the hell??" The budget was definitely saved for the big action scenes, especially the exact midpoint of the series and even the Emiya vs. Kotomine fight (my personal favorite). the dialogue were good overall, since there was much on those, but some were kind of lackluster to me. the ending i actually thought was well done and not underwhelming like people said it was. great segue into the original visual novel. Unlimited Blade Works is next, which I can't wait!!!
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 43>