8 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DAAU Vs. Aranis
    Posted: January 20 2008 at 00:30
Like in all my other polls, the poll aspect is more for fun and not to be taken too seriously, and this thread is to raise some awareness to these two excellent chamber music/rock bands.

DIE ANARCHISTISCHE ABENDUNTERHALTUNG and Aranis are two ensembles from Belgium which is a niche for fabulous music.

I have mentioned DAAU in these forum many times previously (you can search for it and see what I think of their progress throughout their career) but Aranis has still not been mentioned much here (they'll be added to PA) - go to their website and Myspace to listen to their gorgeous music.
This is the Myspace for DAAU.

The most suitable comparison would be the first two and the last DAAU albums vs. the two Aranis albums.

Edited by avestin - January 20 2008 at 01:05
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 01:03
The Myspace for DAAU doesn't work. Aranis sounds amazing though, I'll hold off my vote until I hear both.

EDIT: Now it's working. I voted for Aranis.

Edited by King Crimson776 - January 20 2008 at 15:14
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 06:51
FINALLY! an Interesting Poll!
Aranis for me.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 08:32
It's interesting that you mention DAAU's latest two albums, avestin, because it means I'm missing more from this band than I thought was worth gaining; I only have the first one. Even so, the debut excites me a lot more than Aranis' work which seems very restrained and post-rock-ish, to me; I prefer the folk and grit surrounding the hour of DAAU's music I've heard, by far. =)
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

It's interesting that you mention DAAU's latest two albums, avestin, because it means I'm missing more from this band than I thought was worth gaining; I only have the first one. Even so, the debut excites me a lot more than Aranis' work which seems very restrained and post-rock-ish, to me; I prefer the folk and grit surrounding the hour of DAAU's music I've heard, by far. =)

No, I mentioned their two earliest albums and the last one.
I have all of them, though.

If you look for some other threads and posts I made about them, or in the PA bio I wrote, you'll see that they have evolved with their sound, bringing in more experimentations and styles (they got "electrified", tried a bit of hip-hop, got more rhythmic and less acoustic and then somewhat back again). A fantastic band that keeps on progressing.

Aranis, though I need to give II more listens, is special in the mood that it makes, and perhaps more restrictive in their experimentations, but that doesn't take from the beauty of their music.

Edited by avestin - January 20 2008 at 09:40
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 16:14
Some other interesting and relevant bands are VOLAPÜK, BISE DE BUSE, SALLE GAVEAU

One can always go back to bands like JULVERNE, UNIVERS ZERO (first albums especially), VORTEX, ART ZOYD (again, first 4 albums), PRESENT etc.

To extrapolate even more -  FAR CORNER, ZYPRESSEN, ROZ VITALIS, PFS, CARTOON, BEGNAGRAD, OLIVE MESS, MOTOR TOTEMIST GUILD, U TOTEM, PANZERPAPPA and GATTO MARTE, JONO EL GRANDE - all of these would be of interest as well.

After those, I think it'll be easy enough to get into ZAAR, YUGEN, YOLK, ROUGE CIEL, SOTOS, OCTOBER EQUUS, NIMAL, GARGANTUA etc.

explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:41
^^^ you are sooo making up those names.....

jk, Just about any thread started by avestin makes me feel so behind and uncultured in general.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 17:44
Originally posted by explodingjosh explodingjosh wrote:

^^^ you are sooo making up those names.....

jk, Just about any thread started by avestin makes me feel so behind and uncultured in general.

Hi Josh,

You really shouldn't feel that way.
I myself have so much more to discover and listen to. There are many folks here who "put me to shame" with their knowledge, so I take that as an opportunity to discover new music.

Have you heard DAAU or Aranis or any of these other bands? Have a listen to their Myspace and if you like it and want more, PM me.

Edited by avestin - January 20 2008 at 17:45
Kim? View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 18:15
Aranis was really great! Thank you!
Judging from what I've heard of Die Anarchistische Abendunterhaltung (Tub Gurnard Goodness) and the myspace samples of Aranis, I'd have to go with the latter.
What I really miss in these two band are the drums, though. Sometimes I can just 'feel' the drums coming in. Anyway, I guess they decided to go without drums for a reason.

I've only heard of about one third of the bands you mentioned above, so I suppose I've got a lot of good music ahead. Thanks!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 18:37
DAAU's most impressive album, as I see it is their first (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=151541) which is a lineup of violin, cello, clarinet and accordion. This changes with subsequent albums. Drums are brought in (but it is still mostly instrumental as opposed to Aranis which do have sung tracks).

Listen to more Aranis music here - http://www.aranis.be/cds.php?lg=2

To follow up on the bands I mentioned, I recommend starting with Volapuk's Polyglot which would fall in a nearby ballpark in terms of sound.

Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 03:16
Great thread Assaf. Smile Thanks again.

I've been enjoying DAAU for a while now (i got "Domestic Wildlife" a few months ago) but i hadn't checked out Aranis. (beautiful compositions) I've been exploring alot of "chamber rock" bands lately and i've been quite content with nearly every band i've heard. It's a great way for rock fans to enjoy orchestric instrumentation.

Universe Zero & DAAU were my start and they appeal to me so much i feel nearly addicted to them.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 05:42
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

No, I mentioned their two earliest albums and the last one.
I have all of them, though.

If you look for some other threads and posts I made about them, or in the PA bio I wrote, you'll see that they have evolved with their sound, bringing in more experimentations and styles (they got "electrified", tried a bit of hip-hop, got more rhythmic and less acoustic and then somewhat back again). A fantastic band that keeps on progressing.

I prefer the latest two to their second album, and if it wasn't for the two dubtracks with female vocals on 04's Tub Gurnard Goodness, it would be a perfect fivestar album. Haven't heard Aranis, so I can't vote. But I love DAAU.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:35
Didn't think Aranis would garner more support than DAAU.
Maybe I should have added Volapuk in there as well, just for fun.

Anyway, there is an additional composition from last year by DAAU which is a soundtrack to a documentary called Our Daily Bread.

dailybreadflyerfrontnew.jpg%20picture%20by%20daaudailybreadflyerback-1.jpg%20picture%20by%20daau
"
In March 2007 Daau was asked to make a live soundtrack by the Documentary 'Unser taglichen brot' for the Unheard film festival in Amsterdam. The film is a registration of the modern hi-tech food-industry by the Austrian filmmaker Nikolaus Geyrhalter.....

Because the Daau-members really enjoyed this project they decided to perform a few more 'Daily Bread' concerts. The film will be showed entirely and Daau plays the soundtrack LIVE !!!!
"

Here is more news from DAAU:

"

DAAU SWEDISH TOUR !!!!

From February 2nd till February 13th Daau will be touring Sweden !!! with regular concerts not with the "Daily Bread" Movie concerts.

After the Swedish tour, Daau will however continuing performing "Daily Bread" Concerts....in Belgium and Holland, check this page for dates and venues in your area !!!!"

Edited by avestin - January 21 2008 at 11:36
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 14:10
Aranis for me...their album "Be" is incredible.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 18:16

I added Aranis for those interested.

I'll add the albums soon.

EDIT - albums now added.

Edited by avestin - January 21 2008 at 20:00
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 08:18
Giving this a bump, for anyone who missed this. Two fantastic bands, that will appeal to a wider than the usual audience, I believe, of the regular avant spectrum.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 08:06
Having seen Aranis live last Thursday, I vote for them for all five women are rather very cute

I also reviewed both recently

The better DAAU albums are the early ones although the last two have been worthwhile as well. But the middle of their discography has been a little weak, I find  Reviews coming up soon.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 08:25
^You mean the one weak DAAU album left in the middle of their in total five releases? 
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 09:04
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

^You mean the one weak DAAU album left in the middle of their in total five releases? 

Didn't find the special album (with the colours as track names) that good eiher, but I'll give it another listen.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 09:39
I was just being a nitpicker, Sean: If the better DAAU albums are the early ones,  and the two latest are worthwhile, it leaves just one album in the middle for the weak part of their discography.

The one in the middle (Life Transmission. It probably is really weak too. A one star rating here is all its got) is the only album I haven't got.
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>