Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhimwise - Nick May - Neo and/or Symphonic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whimwise - Nick May - Neo and/or Symphonic
    Posted: January 20 2008 at 07:23
Ex-Enid guitarist Nick May's solo project - sounding not a million miles away from The Enid but with Celtic and World Music influences. Currently touring with Focus, (some dates in April '08 - see myspace for details).

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 21:25
Bump.

Anyone??

Cry

Edited by Dean - July 11 2008 at 21:26
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 21:39
I've posted a link to this topic in the Symph team thread for Symph/ Neo appraisal (now that the teams are joined, kind of).  I'll have a listen later on too.  This sunburned body is off to the beach for a swim now that it's early evening. Smile
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 07:53
Thanks Greg.

...why didn't I think of that Confused Embarrassed

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 16:24
I listened to the myspace tracks last night and was going to post my impressions here, but then considered the symph thread where Ivan quickly and competently responded to the suggestion.  I'll post my remembered impressions of the WHimwise album... Like Ivan, I'd put it in the Neo-Classical meets World music camp.  Aside from the obvious Enid comparisons, it reminded me a bit of KArda Estra (only I prefer KArda Estra as the excessive symphs rather let this music down -- which makes it feel rather less than full and cheap, like home studio stuff, nor would I put the compositions on the level of KE, but that's by-the-by).  I couldn't see it neo-prog based on this (though the guitar has neo-symph qualities, as do other elements) -- seems more Neo Symph/ Electronic, though a bit retro (I think there's a difference between neo Symph and Neo prog.. hmm, I'm hardly an expert on the categories).  Would have to hear Nick May's other stuff.

Good music that could use a  bigger production/ more instruments on some of the numbers.  I rather think if it's to be in, then it should be in the same category as The Enid, especially becuase of the connection.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 16:51
Thanks Greg.

I agree the album is a bit thin and could do with beefing up. When playing live Nick has 9 other musicians on stage, so the sound is fuller.

@ The Joiners, Southampton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YsZ5HME0A

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 17:08
Wow, Dean, just checking out the first youtube... Same artist? That is absolutely terrific!  Sounds so different (and listening to the first track now, I would never even think symph per se, much as I like symph, based on that... Those grooves mixed with classical are really tingling my senses -- avant artist similarities with very good melodies, and stirring).  The second one is different but very good too .  The sound is much fuller.  Wow, I liked the other music, but this is such a  difference.  I should pick up a live album of his.  I really like it.  It also strikes me as rather more prog with a  capital P done live.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 17:45
They haven't released a live album, and those three YouToob vids were all I could find. I've been trying to track down other releases by May, but apart from the 80s Enid albums and a 7" from Dagaband (NWOBHM), there is nothing.
What?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 17:53
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I listened to the myspace tracks last night and was going to post my impressions here, but then considered the symph thread where Ivan quickly and competently responded to the suggestion.  I'll post my remembered impressions of the WHimwise album... Like Ivan, I'd put it in the Neo-Classical meets World music camp.  Aside from the obvious Enid comparisons, it reminded me a bit of KArda Estra (only I prefer KArda Estra as the excessive symphs rather let this music down -- which makes it feel rather less than full and cheap, like home studio stuff, nor would I put the compositions on the level of KE, but that's by-the-by).  I couldn't see it neo-prog based on this (though the guitar has neo-symph qualities, as do other elements) -- seems more Neo Symph/ Electronic, though a bit retro (I think there's a difference between neo Symph and Neo prog.. hmm, I'm hardly an expert on the categories).  Would have to hear Nick May's other stuff.

Good music that could use a  bigger production/ more instruments on some of the numbers.  I rather think if it's to be in, then it should be in the same category as The Enid, especially becuase of the connection.

Somehow UI share your impression, but I would never cpompare them with Karda Estra, Karda Estra is a band playing a clear blend of Neo Classical, Prog Roick and FOLK in the complete sense.

Whimwise sounds to me like some sort of watered Neo Classical, reminds me a lot of Rumbling Orchestra and Er. J. Orchestra that combine Neo Classical with some kind of Paul Mauriatish Muzak.

Now, the main duifference between Karda Estra and Whimwise is that the first ones really use elaborate Romanian FOLK influences and the second one escapes for the World Music side, I always seen World as a distant relative of New Age, in the sense that:

Prog is to New Age like Folk is to World Music.

But the album seems nice, even when I'm not sure how Prog it is.

My two cents.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 12 2008 at 18:35

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2008 at 18:01
No worries Iván, I guess we'll have to wait until they release a 2nd album before deciding which branch of Prog they belong in. (They are definitely a Prog band, regardless of how they came over on CD - but we have to judge by the end product, not the intent)
What?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 19:02
Been listening more Whimmwise material and the doubt is bigger.

I realize that they are mainly Neo Classical, sound much better than I heard before, but not Symphonic due to the fact that lacks almost absolutely of the Rock element.

But where to place them??????

Symphonic seems the most reasonable place for them, no way this is Neo Prog because of the absolute lack of aggressive guitars and mainstream elements.

So I will propose them to the team, they are making outstandibng music and shouldn't be left away, I'm adding them to Progfreak and waiting for the other votes.

If added will be as Nick May's Whimwise.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply