FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnexpect - Nashville, TN - 01/14/08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpect - Nashville, TN - 01/14/08
    Posted: January 20 2008 at 13:39
I've just recently gotten into this band based on the high ranking of "In A Flesh Aquarium" on PA's best of 2006 list. When I found out they would be playing in Nashville, I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

They played at "The Muse", a tiny venue, to an audience of about 15 - 20 people. Very small turnout, but that's to be expected since the show had absolutely NO promotion in Nashville (I found out about it from the band's Myspace).

After the 6 members were finally able to crowd themselves and their gear onto the tiny stage, they kicked their set off with the sinister organ intro of "Novae" and quickly got things rocking. From that point on, most of the setlist were songs from "In a Flesh Aquarium", with a few older songs mixed in.

The sound was surprisingly good, although during most of the set the keyboards were lost in the mix and were nearly inaudible... which is very unforunate considering the talent of the keyboardist.

The band's stage presence was great, they truly looked like they were having tons of fun up their performing their twistedly intricate and wonderfully creative brand of avant-metal.

They closed their set with "Chromatic Chimera", probably my favorite of the night. It's a great finisher, with the way it seems to die down at the end... before crashing back in for one last explosive finale.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by AceBad AceBad wrote:

I've just recently gotten into this band based on the high ranking of "In A Flesh Aquarium" on PA's best of 2006 list. When I found out they would be playing in Nashville, I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

They played at "The Muse", a tiny venue, to an audience of about 15 - 20 people. Very small turnout, but that's to be expected since the show had absolutely NO promotion in Nashville (I found out about it from the band's Myspace).

After the 6 members were finally able to crowd themselves and their gear onto the tiny stage, they kicked their set off with the sinister organ intro of "Novae" and quickly got things rocking. From that point on, most of the setlist were songs from "In a Flesh Aquarium", with a few older songs mixed in.

The sound was surprisingly good, although during most of the set the keyboards were lost in the mix and were nearly inaudible... which is very unforunate considering the talent of the keyboardist.

The band's stage presence was great, they truly looked like they were having tons of fun up their performing their twistedly intricate and wonderfully creative brand of avant-metal.

They closed their set with "Chromatic Chimera", probably my favorite of the night. It's a great finisher, with the way it seems to die down at the end... before crashing back in for one last explosive finale.

sounds great. unfortunately i'm up in Maine at the moment and nobody comes up here, so I missed them. Hopefully I'll see them sometime, they're a great band, and if they manage to pull of those songs in a live setting, that's just impressive.
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:15
Posted this in another forum, but for those interested, I saw them in Virginia and they were great. Sounds like they played the same setlist. I took a bunch of photos, that are here (click the photo to go to the full gallery):

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:31
Sounds and looks interesting, but I'm not sure if they ever come to Hungary, and if yes they won't attract a huge audience.
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 22:24
I saw them two nights ago. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome live show. I bought In a Flesh Agquarium from the Warr guitar player, who was selling merch. He told me that they are trying to do something in the future with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

The concert was for Nile, and Unexpect plus a bunch of metal bands (some good, some crap) opened. I think that 95% of the metalheads in there were in complete shock when Unexpect started to play. It was righteous. In terms of talent (and IMO quality) they were untouchable. After the show was on its way, the crowd seemed to take to the band a little bit better, and by the end of the set they notably got the biggest applause. Damn straight.

Oh and I don't think I've ever been more attracted to anyone more than the lead singer. Absolutely gorgeous, amazing talent and charisma on stage. Same goes for the other guys (less gorgeous though).
 Post Reply Post Reply