0 [0.00%]
1 [4.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

X, but I never finished any of the others except XII, so my vote is kinda unfair.

Still, that's one of my favourite stories evahhhh.
Same here (except change XII to VII)
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:04
It's TOTALLY VII. Yes, it's the first i played, but i have played all the playstation games at least 3-4 times each (usually until the final boss, though, then i just collect cards or whatever), and it's still the best one all thinks considered. (except graphics, obviously).

Also, who (besides me) is in the "killed ruby weapon without knights of the round"-club? :)
Actually, the only superweapon i have yet to beat is Penance (FFX, after all the dark aeons). But that's just impossible.

Edited by Evans - January 28 2008 at 12:05

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:08
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

The Witcher?...I am unaware of that.

Currently playing Lunar, just beat Secret of Evermore and Suikoden III.
I never played through the Lunar series -- kept meaning to and never got to it. I didn't care for Secret of Evermore.The Witcher is a PC RPG from a Polish development house based on a series of short stores by a Polish author. It's quite good. Still, the programming isn't perfect, and it can be rather temperamental at times. If you don't have a capable system, it won't be very kind to you.

Sorr PC just isn't my thing. Secret of Evermore was just a decent imitation of the Secret of Mana series. Lunar seems like a classic PS gem that was forgotten about, I like it a lot.

If I remember correctly, the PS ones (Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue) were originally Sega Saturn games.

And if you don't like PC games, what do you think of Septerra Core? Wink
How IS septerra core? I had a demo of it a long time ago and i always wanted to play it since (but i was too young to have any money to buy it) so i forgot about it until i found it and played it for a while, but then i lost my saves when i bought a new hard drive. Is it worth finishing? Most importantly, is the storyline any good?

Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 18:22
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

It's TOTALLY VII. Yes, it's the first i played, but i have played all the playstation games at least 3-4 times each (usually until the final boss, though, then i just collect cards or whatever), and it's still the best one all thinks considered. (except graphics, obviously).

Also, who (besides me) is in the "killed ruby weapon without knights of the round"-club? :)
Actually, the only superweapon i have yet to beat is Penance (FFX, after all the dark aeons). But that's just impossible.

I did so as well, but it is 100% impossible without Life3 since he can deal 9999 to all characters even when you're level 99.

Septerra Core is a bit hard to get into at first (cyberpunk stuff, remotely similar to Shadowrun, which I also found difficult to get into at first), but the story is certainly not disappointing. Nonetheless, if you want a complex story, Planescape: Torment is the way to go. Still, if you want another RPG to play, Septerra Core is often unfairly overlooked. It's not as good as say, Xenogears, but better than the likes of FFX, Baten Kaitos, et cetera.

One thing about stories: you know, Grandia 2 had the best story I ever hated. The premise was exquisite, but the execution was absolutely abysmal. The only time I liked Ryudo is when he said "I'm sorry, you were waiting for me to give a damn?"
Hail Eris!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 04:38

I did so as well, but it is 100% impossible without Life3 since he can deal 9999 to all characters even when you're level 99.

Septerra Core is a bit hard to get into at first (cyberpunk stuff, remotely similar to Shadowrun, which I also found difficult to get into at first), but the story is certainly not disappointing. Nonetheless, if you want a complex story, Planescape: Torment is the way to go. Still, if you want another RPG to play, Septerra Core is often unfairly overlooked. It's not as good as say, Xenogears, but better than the likes of FFX, Baten Kaitos, et cetera.

One thing about stories: you know, Grandia 2 had the best story I ever hated. The premise was exquisite, but the execution was absolutely abysmal. The only time I liked Ryudo is when he said "I'm sorry, you were waiting for me to give a damn?"
ain't no such thing as life3 in Final Fantasy VII... there IS however life2+final attack combo, which is nevessary when he whorlpools away two of your characters. I must admit, however, the way i beat him wasn't all that glamorous, i had harvested all sorts of sources to beef up cloud's stats beforehand, but hey!... at least i didn't use KOTR.

I have Planescape (physically, after a long time searching for it) and it is certainly one of the most interesting storylines ever.
Xenogears, say you? I nevel played, how good is it?

KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 04:43
Xenogears/ Xenosaga
is the videogame equivalent of:

and

cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 05:19
Final Fantasy X, but IX and VI both come close. What do we all think of XII?
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 10:03
I'm playing it right now. Storyline has me totally confused, too much war, to little character development, but i like the battle system. Music is pretty bland, but not bad, i suppose. Not all i would have wanted it to be, i haven't finished it yet, but so far i can't see what ending there could be which would make me feel like i did at the end of 6 through 10.

Siam, that sounds kinda interesting, do you like it yourself?

Edited by Evans - February 02 2008 at 10:04

ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 16:44
I couldn't beat the first Xenosaga. I got stuck ona  boss midway through the game a couple of years ago and I haven't returned to it yet... the story seems like it could be interesting, but I don't think it explained much by that point (maybe 10-15 hours in)

Is it worth another go, Siam (or anyone else who has played it)?

Edited by ClassicRocker - February 06 2008 at 16:44
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 16:50

Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 20:00

ain't no such thing as life3 in Final Fantasy VII... there IS however life2+final attack combo, which is nevessary when he whorlpools away two of your characters. I must admit, however, the way i beat him wasn't all that glamorous, i had harvested all sorts of sources to beef up cloud's stats beforehand, but hey!... at least i didn't use KOTR.

I have Planescape (physically, after a long time searching for it) and it is certainly one of the most interesting storylines ever.
Xenogears, say you? I nevel played, how good is it?

Heh, whoops. Been a loooooooong time since I played through FFVII last. But I always remember the Weapons. Emerald just pissed me off with that instant rape. Forced you to use Life2, since you couldn't survive it at any level (cracked with Gamehack to test it -- whatever happened to that program, anyway?).

Been more recently through Xenogears. Xenogears is a piece of literature, really. Most allegorical video game ever produced, and 80 hours long to boot. Xenosaga isn't completely related to Xenogears, and is not as thematically complex. However, it is an entertaining story with reasonably good characters if you have the imagination for it. That's one thing the games have in common: you absolutely must have an imagination or you're going to get lost in the absurdity of it all. It's not nearly as bad as, say, Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, but it's a bit to swallow if you take it literally. But then again, you would expect that of any allegory.
Hail Eris!
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 20:48
Part VII is pretty good, I like Kevin Moore's keyboard part

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 15:14
I can't believe that I'm the only one so far who likes VIII the most! Where has all the Squall-love gone? Cry
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 21:59
Squall was a Cloud clone in my eyes.... Yes he was different... but my dislike for VIII comes mostly in the very disappointing ending.

Anyways, I voted IX for having the best combination of the old style (VI, V, IV) and the newer style (VII, VIII, X). Not to mention that the story was fan-freaking-tastic, and some of the cut-scenes are enough to make one's mind blow. Really want to list them but spoilers are abound.

After that it would have to be VI... and (of the non-numbered series) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 22:29
Do you guys think Enix will actually end up re-making FF7 for the PS3? Or do you think it will never happen....?
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 10:56
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Do you guys think Enix will actually end up re-making FF7 for the PS3? Or do you think it will never happen....?

No. It's just a popular tech demo. They do it because it generates such a response.

//EDIT: And By-Tor, how the [CENSORED] do you actually like FFTA? I absolutely hated that game. "I know your life is on the line, but... NO SWORDS FOR YOU!" I couldn't bring myself to beat it.

Edited by Gamemako - February 17 2008 at 11:01
Hail Eris!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 11:09
That is the best part about all role-playing games. Until the world actually breaks apart under their feet, the weapon vendors just refuse to give you a discount... 

Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 11:17

That is the best part about all role-playing games. Until the world actually breaks apart under their feet, the weapon vendors just refuse to give you a discount... 

Haha, reminds me of that N64 Goemon game. Towards the end of the game, one guard says:

"We're just standing here until you complete the game...
...kinda painful...
...kinda depressing..."
Hail Eris!
Wallium View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 12:50
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I can't believe that I'm the only one so far who likes VIII the most! Where has all the Squall-love gone? Cry

Squall is a chump!  A wannabe Cloud and a pansy!

It's all about FFVII!

Best storyline, period.  Most epic, period.
Mens sceptrum totus

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 13:10
Every RPG ever:

Hero: Hello, may I enter this castle?
Guard: No, I'm sorry, you'll need to bribe me with a steak to enter.
Hero: Oh, I see. Where may I acquire a steak in these parts?
Guard:
Billy the Baron's Bar and Grill, passed the forest of death and gloom, makes 'em just right. But you can't pay Billy the Baron with just regular gold.
Hero: What will I pay him with, then?
Guard: Billy the Baron is a relic collector. Collect fifteen platinum relics along the river of death. But to turn regular relics to platinum, you must consult Ella the Enchanter.
Hero: Where is she?
Guard: Ella the Enchanter is far west of here, in her crimson tower, which is locked with the key of eternal torment.
Hero: Where's that?

-And so on-

Guard:....and you'll need to kill werewolves to get teeth of doom, and to do so you'll need silver weapons.
Hero: Where can I get silver weapons?
Guard: There's only one place to get silver weapons in the world. And that is in this castle.
Hero: Can I enter this castle, then?
Guard: You'll need to bribe me with a steak.

Edited by Shakespeare - February 17 2008 at 13:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>