Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOctober Equus Vs. Ahvak

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which band appeals to you more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [60.00%]
2 [40.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: October Equus Vs. Ahvak
    Posted: January 22 2008 at 20:45
OCTOBER EQUUS is a Spanish avant-rock/chamber rock band, influenced by Univers Zero & King Crimson. Having two releases to their credit, they are about to release their third this year.  

"
OCTOBER EQUUS biography
OCTOBER EQUUS is definitely one of Spain’s most pleasant in the world of prog and avant-garde rock nowadays. Formed in 2003, its well-catalyzed mixture of KING CRIMSON-inspired vibe and PRESENT-inspired ballsy RIO recreates the oppressive moods and sinister atmospheres of avant-garde prof’s primal sources with amazing vitality and freshness, not unlike other contemporary acts such as DR. NERVE and HAPPY FAMILY, to mention just a couple of examples. You can also find, as it is reasonable, influences from contemporary chamber and jazz-rock. Their official eponymous debut album has been receiving acclaims all across the Internet through the year 2006, its punch and complexity being the most featured items in reviews. Two years before this release, the band had recorded and released a free demo titled “Hydra”, distributed only among attendants at their concerts. The repertoire was the same, but set in a different order and using an electronic drum kit instead of an acoustic one.

Until early 2006 the line-up had consisted of Ángel ONTALVA (guitar), Víctor RODRÍGUEZ (keyboards), Amanda PAZOS (bass) and Txema FERNÁNDEZ (drums). But RORDRÍGUEZ and FERNÁNDEZ left the band since then, so ONTALVA and PAZOS - the founding members - are in search of new recruitments while continuing to write and arrange new material.

Recommended to fans of KC, PRESENT, UNIVERS ZERO, MAGMA, and generally speaking, to those who fervently love their prog dissonant, challenging and loud.
"

Listen to them here - http://www.myspace.com/octoberequus

Ángel Ontalva guitar, Amanda Pazos bass guitar, Víctor Rodríguez keyboards, José Varela drums, Fran Mangas sax and Tom Zunk waterphone on 'Unknown Pilot'

__  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __  __   

AHVAK is/was an Israeli band influenced by Present & UZ which released only one album, which is highly regarded.

Here's a good website to read about them and listen to some sample - http://mitkadem3.homestead.com/files/Reviews2/AhvakReviewEnglish.html

"
Ahvak Biography
Most of AHVAK members met through an internet prog-rock forum in Israel. They started rehearsing but didn't work seriously until drummer and composer Dave Kerman (5UU’S, THINKING PLAGUE, U-TOTEM, PRESENT etc.) came to Israel and joined the band. Their debut album was released on Cuneiform Records in the USA and got some pretty flattering reviews.

Their first album is in the RIO (Rock In Opposition) style, influenced by Modernistic music (Stravinsky, Bartok) & high production values in the school of Bob Drake. Since Kerman moved back to the US, the band had to find a new drummer and rehearse for live shows. They plan to record a 2nd album.

: : : Uri Breitman, ISRAEL : : :

Ahvak%20Album%20-%20Cover%20Art

Left%20to%20Right%20-%20Dave%20Kerman%20%28long%20hair%29,%20Roy%20Yarkoni%20%28tall%20guy%29,%20Yehuda%20Kotton%20%28beard%29,%20Ishay%20Sommer%20%28very%20long%20hair%29,%20Udi%20Koomran%20%28black%20short%20hair%29,%20Udi%20Susser%20%28French%20beard%29
Left to Right - Dave Kerman (long hair), Roy Yarkoni (tall guy), Yehuda Kotton (beard), Ishay Sommer (very long hair), Udi Koomran (black short hair), Udi Susser (French beard)

Turion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 21:12
Now that's a VERY VERY hard poll, but I will go with October Equus ..... that could change very easily tomorrow though :P
?: (
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 21:15
Hi Patrick,

Yes, tough one Smile I'm looking forward to OE new one; the new tracks on their myspace are promising.

Too bad Ahvak is disbanded.... A real shame. But there are other talents arising in Isreal (one in particular is Ensemble Tinnitus).

Turion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 21:46
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Yes, tough one Smile I'm looking forward to OE new one; the new tracks on their myspace are promising.

Too bad Ahvak is disbanded.... A real shame. But there are other talents arising in Isreal (one in particular is Ensemble Tinnitus).

Wow thanks for the heads up on the new OE album and that Israeli band, I'll make sure to check it out !

It's so hard to keep up with so many good bands making such good music, damn them LOL!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 21:48
Originally posted by Turion Turion wrote:

It's so hard to keep up with so many good bands making such good music, damn them LOL!

Yes, indeed.

Here's a link to a Youtube video by that Israeli ensemble:

Turion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:10

Yes, indeed.

So they don't even have an album out ? Now I feel better about myself since that's the reason I couldn't know about them :P It sounds REALLY good though, I hope something will be available soon!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:21

Yes, indeed.

So they don't even have an album out ? Now I feel better about myself since that's the reason I couldn't know about them :P It sounds REALLY good though, I hope something will be available soon!

Sorry, I gave the wrong impression. No, they're lead by one guy who does the composing and he intends on recording it and releasing it this year. This came to be in the Rimon School for music in Israel.
I hope they'll make that recording and it doesn't fall through.

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:23
I've only heard Ahvak, which is quite good. I think I really need to check out October Equus now though, considering my three all-time favourite bands are King Crimson, Univers Zero and Magma!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:43
OCTOBER EQUUS make the kind of music that will disturb you for days.LOL I need to check out AHVAK,i know i've contemplated getting them in the past but never have.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2008 at 22:46
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

OCTOBER EQUUS make the kind of music that will disturb you for days.LOL I need to check out AHVAK,i know i've contemplated getting them in the past but never have.

Given that you like Present, I think you'll like this as well.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:02

Bump

laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:48
I'd vote for Ahvak straight away because their album is fabulous but it looks like I haven't heard all there is to hear by October Equus. I do so like these sort of chamber-informed rock experiments. =)
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 22:25
bump

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 23:15
Ahvak.

No contest for me. OE are cool and I enjoy their album but Ahvak just have to much going for them. Everying just fits perfectly and the music is always interesting. Masterpiece or at least near masterpiece in my mind (where I'd give OE a 3.5).

OE win out in the name game though. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 21:23
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

OE win out in the name game though. Tongue

Yeah. They give a nice liner notes about this in their cd.

I'm eagerly waiting for their next album.

dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 11:43
I don't know either band. I've heard of them and researched them, but have not heard them. Which of the two is more accessible and symphonic?
Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 08:39
Originally posted by dalt99 dalt99 wrote:

I don't know either band. I've heard of them and researched them, but have not heard them. Which of the two is more accessible and symphonic?

Hmm. none really. Both have a clear influence from Univers Zero and Present and that "school".
As for accessibility, I'd say OE are the more accessbile, relative to Ahvak that is.

Anyway, for Symphonic stuff, I made other threads and I'll make some more soon.

Post Reply Post Reply