Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [63.49%]
15 [23.81%]
8 [12.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 10:11
Oh, that's a diddly of a pickle!
While i really like Blackmore's works, exspecially live, It doesn't beat the Magic of the four members of Led Zeppelin!
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:16
Led Zeppelin

WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:22
2nd vote for Rainbow! (Dio era)
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 02:28
Image:Budgie%20Squawk.jpg
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 02:38
Well im pretty sick of ol zep right now all this over exposure lately is geting anoying im starting to to understand what it must have been like in the 70s.. i vote for the underated DIO's Rainbow.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 22:10
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance...Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one.

Apparently when I took out the garbage last night, I forgot to take this statement.

Harsh. LOL And not true. The good Rainbow albums are REALLY good (unfortunately decided to cash in on the radio too soon Dead), but Zep has a bigger discography interspersed with many masterful songs, but also many way to bluesy (for my taste) ones. Altogether, it's an impossible choice!
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 09:30
 Rainbow has 3 fantastic labums, but they have much more weak albums than Led Zeppelin.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 12:13
ok I love DP but not Rainbow crappy. I just think they have 3 good albums and that's it. Led Zep has 3 completely masterpices II IV and Houses of the Holy . And then it has 4 very good albums I III and Physcial Graffiti and Prescense. Wow Led beats Rainbow for a 1000 light years dude...

Rainbow doesn't have innovating stuff.
Led Zep yes!

Oh by the way Plant beats Dio for a mile and Page beats Ritchie for another mile. John Paul Jones beats the bass guitarist from Rainbow that I don't who is lol. And Bonham beats Powell but not for a mile very close.
rudderhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 16:55
Rainbow and not just the Dio ones. Graham Bonnet and Joe Lyn Turner are good to. I dont agree that they are more radio-friendly. I think the GB and JLT albums sound just us loud as the Dio ones.
Straight between the eyes is a real kick ass record just listen to Death Alley Driver or Power. Much better than Led Zeppelin. I think people just dislike the later Rainbow albums because they think they are supposed to, not because they are. So dont be fooled by that
Budgie is much better than led zeppelin to 

LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 17:46
Sure there are some good songs on the later Rainbow albums. But I would never put them in the same league as the early stuff. Being quite a big fan of Rainbow since long before heading into progressive territory, I don't dislike those albums just because I'm "supposed" to. I've given them many fair listens. Just a matter of taste.
rudderhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:40
I dont mind that. At least you dont think they are crap

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 18:49
Rainbow really was a band I got in... Maybe cause Rising and LLRR, even though both has some songs that I really like, not Stargazer, I really can't think it's a masterpiece neither a 4 star. Having their debut perhaps not being being quite unique but still the album overall has no falls. And from Bonnet and Turner era I like many songs to but still doesn't really amazes me or puts me on feet.
Your Lame Sister View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 06:48
The problem with the Zepps is that they were never able to release a 'perfect' album. every album they released had at least a couple of tracks that weren't good enough. The debut was the closest they ever got to making a perfect album, and even that album had a stinker or two. that said, Zeppelin still produced a gigantic amount of fantastic songs, and when they were good, they were absolutely incredible.
Rainbow is pretty much  the opposite: they were consistent throughout the Dio period, and didn't release as much filler as Zep. unfortunately, they were never able to reach the highs that the Leds reached, and they didn't release nearly as much good songs as zep. besides, rainbow were inferior to zep in every area: Page was the better riff-man (by a bit), and his solos beat Blackmore's, in my oppinion. I also prefer plant to dio, and the Rainbow rythm section was no match to Jones and Bonham.
So Rainbow lose.
"Playing acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on - I mean, you know how to do it, but it's more difficult." - Dave Mustaine

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 08:00
Originally posted by Your Lame Sister Your Lame Sister wrote:

The problem with the Zepps is that they were never able to release a 'perfect' album. every album they released had at least a couple of tracks that weren't good enough. The debut was the closest they ever got to making a perfect album, and even that album had a stinker or two. that said, Zeppelin still produced a gigantic amount of fantastic songs, and when they were good, they were absolutely incredible.
Well, you'd have a pretty good argument for Led Zep IV being close to perfection, perhaps only Four Sticks lowers the mark at all. Led Zep II has Livin' Lovin' Maid which is okay at best, III has the much-criticised Roy Harper song (which I actually like) and Houses Of The Holy has The Crunge, which is a throwaway joke at best. Few double albums can match the standard of Physical Graffiti which doesn't have a really duff track until the last one. I personally think they didn't release a genuine stinker until Hots On For Nowhere on Prescence, and even The Beatles can't match that standard.

Edited by chopper - July 15 2008 at 08:02
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 05:47
I'm quite surprised that Rainbow got so many votes. Is that from people who actually like Rainbow, or are they just Zeppelin haters?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I'm quite surprised that Rainbow got so many votes. Is that from people who actually like Rainbow, or are they just Zeppelin haters?

not really... who really hates Zeppelin...  however any group.. heard 1000's of times over the years, unless you are diehard fan, it just going to wear thin.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 17:20
Budgie beat both of them as hard rock bands.

And to say Page beats Blackmore as a guitarist (as cacho seems to think) is absurd. Technically, Blackmore's light years ahead.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 19:04
Now knowing Budgie, this would be it:

Led Zeppelin>Budgie>Rainbow

Led Zep GREAT albums: I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Presence.
Budgie: Squawk and Never Turn Your Back On Your Friend (the only ones I have)
Rainbow: Debut(the only one I truly enjoy), though I must admit Rising and Long Live Rock n' Roll are their creative peak, though I really dislike most of it.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 01:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Rainbow's masterpiece is obviously "Rising".

Couldn't have said it better myself. Rising starts off with a blast and ends with a bang. I think the closest Zep got to the was on Physical Graffiti. Weird I know, but even though it is their lengthiest album I think it has the most consistency. Even with the spectacular display of power on Led Zep 1 and the great writing of III, there are moments/songs where I am just absolutely bored and turned off. Graffiti always makes me pay attention. Just like Rising kicks my ass. Personally, I could listen to Rainbow more in a sitting than I could of Zep. So there you go.

Edited by BroSpence - October 05 2008 at 01:05
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 21:15
I think that the post dio albums are underrated. Joe Lynn Turner is actually a pretty good singer, and they made some decent albums after he left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>