Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [63.49%]
15 [23.81%]
8 [12.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow vs. Led Zep...to the slaughter
    Posted: January 23 2008 at 02:19
And no, I'm not really sure why that last option's there. Please try to ignore it...

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance. Namely Long Live Rock (and possibly Roll), and Live in Churmany.

Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one. Which is...strange. The Zeps are definitely a more even band, probably more diverse, and certainly more revolutionary; whereas Rainbow, despite having a better guitarist, had nothing else. Buncha lowly, albiet sometimes real cool, session type dudes, and their only revolution was to put the phrases "wizard" and "tower" in a single song. On the plus side, they seem to have inspired the Maiden to a somewhat type extent...

AND YET, I think that Rainbow was the better band. And I do...not...know...WHY!!! I do think that Ritchie is the more talented string-slinger, and that Dio actually believes in all that wizardly crap he's singing about, whereas Plant could sound just a tad...goofy from time to time. Ya know? "Mordor?" Yeah.

So I actually, and for whatever reason, believe that Rainbow is the better, and perhaps best, heavy metal band. Certainly from the "classic" era. Of, er, "that" era. Unless you count the Tull. And I do. 'Cause they were pretty f**kin' metal.

What REALLY confuses me though is that I've actually heard more Led Zep than Rainbow, so you can't accuse me of absurd loyalism. However, I have not heard very much Deep Purple, so, perhaps the poll is a tad premature...

Still, in the Page/Plant's defense, the Zeps have yet to hit the LOWS of which I've heard in Rainbow, but then again, that's probably because Rainbow somehow made it past 1980.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 05:02
Oh dear.....
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 08:39
Somewhere Over The Rainbow ... there's a big shining Zeppelin! Big%20smile
"We've got to get in to get out"
Pinkk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:11
Definitely Led Zeppelin.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

Anyways, here's the deal. Based on what I've heard, Rainbow released at least two, count 'em, two, masterpieces in their meager existance...Led Zeppeling, on the other hand, has not released one.

Apparently when I took out the garbage last night, I forgot to take this statement.
Real Paradox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 12:39
Yeah, I go for the Zepps.Much more elaborated music , and they have a charismatic sparkle, it is a special band, smothing that Rainbow could not have, Its just a average hard rock band...
What is This?
It is what keeps us going...
EnglishAssassin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 15:16
Led Zeppelin, no contest.  That said, you could have been forgiven, back in 1977, for believing that Rainbow had the potential to reach Zep-like heights.  They didn't, however, and an artistic legacy of three good studio records and four shockingly poor ones doesn't even bear comparison with Led Zep's.
*Porcupine* View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:10
Budgie but its close between them and Led Zep.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:21
Budgie.

I vastly prefer Led Zep over Rainbow though.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 18:13
Rainbow's masterpiece is obviously "Rising".
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 06:48
I think all the Rainbow albums with Dio were very good. Zeppelin, however wins hands down as the best band. Their music was more soulful and more interesting.

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 02:29
Holy crap, Budgie is beating Rainbow! Wow. This sucks. DIO! WHERE ART THOU!!!

Gotta admit, that I've yet to hear Little Man w/Sticks, but Zeppelin purists tend to look DOWN upon such naughtiness. The first two are pretty sweet, but can't touch Long Live Rock Etc.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 02:37
bold assertion that Zep had no masterpieces  ..I give you Song Remains the Same and Physical Graffiti, and ll of course.. but at least this thread got some people talking, good work Whizzle-Dizzle
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:00
Damn you and your italics! Well, I'm an ass when it comes to masterpieces. I think Pink Floyd only had two; what do I know.

Physical Graffiti...I dunno. A bit too long in spots. Occasionally fun and experimental, occasionally annoying. Song though, that's the live album, right? I wanna get that (not my fault Zep is popular and puts out expensive double albums). I always say that you don't REALLY know a band until you know it live, so perhaps the lack of masterpieces is a tad premature.

I've SEEN some live stuff though, and I wasn't holy-crap-shocked off my ass.

Oh, and, I will say that the Brown Bomber has their best cover. But music-wise...I has the better songs, II has the better flow. Coin flip. Probably I. Maybe. I dunno. "MOBY DICK!"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:11
well if you expect the albums, Zep live can be a bit of a shock ..SRtS is one of the greats though, just listen with a rock'n roll heart and don't expect perfection.. not what they were about
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:13
I don't think you've been paying attention about me 'n live shows. I JUST BOUGHT THE DOORS: LIVE IN BOSTON. Check the Prindle review. That's why I got it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:16
touche  

..then you should like Song, make it your next Zep purchase
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 03:18
Can do.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 08:17
If you're really going to get Zeppelin live material, go for How The West Was Won. In my opinion that one is far better (and has much more music on it) than The Song Remains The Same, although I put that one on now and then as well and mightily enjoy it.
"We've got to get in to get out"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 10:18
I am a major Dio-era Rainbow fan, but I don't think the two bands can even be compared. As uneven as their output may be, Led Zeppelin have been hugely influential, and when they were good, they were fantastic. Rainbow, on the other hand, put out three excellent studio albums, but then Blackmore decided it was time for the band to go radio-friendly - and that was the end for them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>