Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTr-Ond and the Suburban Savages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tr-Ond and the Suburban Savages
    Posted: January 23 2008 at 22:41
Tr-Ond and the Suburban Savages - to be added to PA soon.

"   Tr-Ond (from PANZERPAPPA) made tunes, and cooked coffee.Thomas (from THE SAMUEL JACKSON 5 and NOW'VE GOT MEMBERS) drank the coffee, and tweaked and turned the tunes inside out. The rest of the savages (Anders from PANZERPAPPA and the unknown Hans Petter) were whipped into shape (with feathers). Foreign cooks (Truls from TULS AND THE TREES and Sissyfus from NOW'VE GOT MEMEBERS) were allowed into the kitchen, to add their delicious spices and good skills to the final product.

The debut album "tr-Ond and The Suburban is out now... It's distributed by www.musikkoperatorene.no, so you should be able to order it from all over the world by contacting [email protected]   "

A review:

Edited by avestin - January 23 2008 at 22:41
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 09:27
They had a concert just before christmas that I managed to miss unfortunately.

Being a fan of Panzerpappa, I shall check this one out soon.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 19:21
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Being a fan of Panzerpappa, I shall check this one out soon.

I think you'll like it; I think Trond has a natural gift for this. I admire his musical abilities.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 17:59
A review from Progressive Ears:
Member: ffroyd (Profile) (All Album Reviews by ffroyd)
Date: 1/21/2008
Format: CD (Album)

The past decade or so has seen quite a surge in creative music coming out of the country of Norway. There are many bands now playing great original material in the frozen north including names like White Willow, Wobbler, Jaga Jazzist, Magic Pie, Seid, MetroGnom, The White Birch and Panzerpappa. Speaking of Panzerpappa, the disc I’m reviewing today is from an offshoot of that band. Originally intended to be a solo album for the drummer Trond Gjellum (from where the project gets it’s interesting name), it escalated into a debut album from a full group.

Also along for the ride are Thomas Meidell (from The Samuel Jackson 5 and several others) on guitars, theremin, synth, bass and various other instruments; Hans Petter Alfredsen on keyboards; and fellow Panzerpappette Anders K. Krabberød on bass guitar and bass pedals. There are also some guest appearances on the disc. Truls Heggero (from the Truls and the Trees) helps out with some beautiful vocal bits, Jørgen Sissyfus Skjulstad contributes clarinet and Hannelive Karlsen pizzicato violin.

Since this is Trond’s project, it is fairly rhythm-dominant with lots of excellent percussion including assorted vibes and glockenspiel. There’s even some vintage drum machine sounds thrown in here and there. One unusual thing about the music is that another one of the major instruments represented here is the melodica. Trond’s playing of this unique wind keyboard makes me think it’s an accordion in several spots. I’ve heard this instrument before but never used this much on an album.

It’s not easy putting a label on the kind of music offered here, which isn’t a complaint at all. There’s a definite Scandinavian prog influence from the older bands like Kebnekajse and Fläsket Brinner but there’s also a modern approach as well. The music is mostly instrumental with a few wordless harmony vocals thrown in to make the songs a bit more melodious. There’s one song “Mother Of Time” that has vocals (presumably from Trond) that start out normal enough but evolve into something that Johnny Lydon might have belted out while in Public Image Ltd. Also there is a slight humorous element at work in a few spots here. The track “Swedish Lesson #2” will be almost no help at all unless maybe one loses their sandwich in Stockholm.

Although there aren’t any bad moments on here, my favorite tracks are probably the first and fifth on the disc. “André Malist” has some nice synth and piano parts to go along with the smooth percussion. “The Madonna Death Cult Camp” gets the album off to a great start and sets the tone for the entire project.

Overall, I would say this is a very excellent disc and would recommend it to just about anyone. There’s plenty of great music on here and while it may be a slight bit on the eccentric side, it is quite accessible. I haven’t heard much of the band Panzerpappa but if this disc is any indication of their sound, I definitely need to check them out some more.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 08:53
Interview with Trond to come
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 07:54
Thumbs%20Up

Trying to figure out some questions for him meanwhile!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 14:50
Interview sent; I'll post here when it will be ready.

Bj, you can still send me your questions if you want.

Post Reply Post Reply