Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTako - s/t (1978, Yugoslavia)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tako - s/t (1978, Yugoslavia)
    Posted: January 24 2008 at 23:43
TAKO - Tako

TAKO biography

TAKO are something as unusual as a Yugoslavian jazz-rock and symphonic progressive rock band. The band was put together in 1975 and the band's name means "this way". Between 1975 and their split up in 1981 they released two classical albums: "Tako" (1975) and "U Vréci Za Spavanje" (1980). This is two great reissues from the Brazilian label Rock Symphony, a label that have reissued many forgotten jewels before such as ALPHA III, FRAGL, MALIBRAN, and new releases with HADDAD and TEMPUS FUGIT.

In my opinion the 70's were the heydays for progressive rock, and TAKO have all the ingredients that makes these releases worth owning. They were a 70's band, their sound is very 70's oriented, the cover is so wonderful 70's and the music is complex with lengthy instrumental passages. TAKO's music is a mix between CAMEL, FOCUS, JETHRO TULL, OZRIC TENTACLES, PONK FLOYD and SOLARIS. I strongly recommend you to buy these two albums if you're into 70's progressive rock. This is how progressive rock sounded long before today's progressive metal.

- Greger Rönnqvist

Greger
(Greger Rönnqvist)
PROG REVIEWER
5%20stars "Tako" (1975) and "U Vreci Za Spavanje" (1980) are two great reissues from the Brazilian label Rock Symphony, a label that have reissued many forgotten jewels before such as ALPHA III, FRAGIL, MALIBRAN, and new releases with HADDAD and TEMPUS FUGIT.

- TAKO are something as unusual as a Yugoslavian jazz-rock and symphonic progressive rock band. The band was put together in 1975 and the band's name means "this way". Between 1975 and their split up in 1981 they released two classical albums: "Tako" (1975) and "U Vréci Za Spavanje" (1980).

- In my opinion the 70's were the heydays for progressive rock, and TAKO have all the ingredients that makes these releases worth owning. They were a 70's band, their sound is very 70's oriented, the cover is so wonderful 70's and the music is complex with lengthy instrumental passages. TAKO's music is a mix between CAMEL, FOCUS, FOCUS, JETHRO TULL, OZRIC TENTACLES, PINK FLOYD and SOLARIS.

- I strongly recommend you to buy these two albums if you're into 70's progressive rock. This is how progressive rock sounded long before today's progressive metal.

Posted Saturday, March 13, 2004 | Review Permalink
5%20stars The lenghthy track 'second side of me' is worth the price alone. It includes some wonderful flute passages and an opening riff somewhat similar to Aqualungs famous opening . Overall a cross between Solaris and Tull. The rest of the CdD does not reach the heights of this tarck , but its still an interesting listen. Highly recommended

Posted Monday, March 15, 2004 | Review Permalink
dark_d3@hotma
5%20stars First album from this extra talented but unknown band ,there is no bad song on this album,its powerfull with great guitar riffs followed by fine and atmospheric keyboards and flutes.This album is not completely instrumental as it is for the second one,but the voices are calm and smoothy with good intelectual and dreamy lyrics(in Serbian) ,give them a chance to be heard!You wouldn't be disapointed, its a masterpiece!

Posted Monday, August 30, 2004 | Review Permalink
Proghead
(Ben Miler)
PROG REVIEWER
3%20stars As it turns out Yugoslavia had their share of prog acts. SMAK, KORNI GRUPA, LEB I SOL, and this particular band, TAKO are some examples. TAKO managed only two albums, in which this self-entitled album was their debut. The band consisted of bassist/vocalist Dušan Æuæuz, keyboardist/flautist/harmonical player Ðorde Illijan, guitarist/vocalist Miroslav Dukiæ, and drummer Slobodan Felekatoviæ. Ðorde Illijan tends to use a lot of Elka Rhapsody string synth, as well as electric piano.

Some of the music tends to have a bit of a fusion influence. A couple of songs have vocals, including the opening cut "Probudi Se". It's in Serbo-Croation, so it's nice to hear the language in a prog setting. This song tends to be dominated by Illijan's Elka. "Sinteza" shows the more fusion-end of the band, especially when Illijan uses the Fender Rhodes electric piano. Perhaps my favorite is "Utapanje Sunèeve Sveltlosi U Pešèanu Memoriju", where the band goes through several changes. Again the vocals appear here. I especially like the guitar work of Miroslav Dukiæ found here. "Lena" is a short, flute-dominated piece that bears more than a passing resemblance to Hungary's SOLARIS (making me believe SOLARIS was influenced by TAKO, since SOLARIS' debut did not appear until the 1980s). "Minijatura" is another flute-dominated piece, that brings to mind JETHRO TULL. Then the album closes with the 16 minute epic "Druga Strana Mene". The CD reissue comes with a bonus cut, "Put Na Jug", which is a nice addition, this one also has vocals. I don't exactly call this album essential. For one thing, the production isn't all that great (but then I expect that, coming from a communist country), but by Eastern European standards, this is definately one of the better albums.

My rating: 3 1/2 stars

Posted Sunday, September 26, 2004 | Review Permalink
r.constant@cl
4%20stars Ok, first track is a little bit morbid (boring) despite the title “wake up” but a good track. From the second track things will get… hot, “synthesis” is an excellent jazz oriented song with electric piano, organ, guitar solo, time change and even gaita,( I always try to be coherent an short on my reviews), all the record will have this great prog quality, mixing jazz and rock in a perfect way, sometimes remembering Atoll’s style (second and third song), sometimes remembering an improved Focus or the usual Jethro Tull (fourth and fifth song), And the last track before the bonus, a 16 minutes excellent song “Second side of me”, Tako means “ this way” and personality was one of the marks of prog rock when computer didn’t exist, and things were harder…not a three star but five I guess it would be a bit overkill.

Posted Friday, May 20, 2005 | Review Permalink
Seyo
(Sead S. Fetahagic)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR
4%20stars TAKO (Eng. “That Way”) was one of those rare ex-Yugoslavian symphonic prog bands that did not engage in mainstream pop-rock and were truly devoted to play “non- commercial” music. They formed in 1975 and recorded several demos in the studio of Belgrade Radio station. Since 1977 they established the line-up consisting of: Dusan Cucuz-bass, Djordje Ilijin-keyboards and flute, Miroslav Dukic-guitar and Slobodan Felekatovic-drums. In August 1977 TAKO played as support to mega-sellers BIJELO DUGME at their famous “Hajducka cesma” open-air concert in front of some 100 000 fans. At this period they experimented with quadrophenia sound system during joint live gigs with S VREMENA NA VREME, another popular progressive folk rock band. Recording companies were reluctant to sign them up due to their alleged “non- commercial” potentials, but finally RTV Ljubljana label decided to give them opportunity and they recorded the eponymous debut in 1978.

Songwriting is co-authored by Cucuz, Ilijin and Dukic, while the album carries six uneven compositions with obvious influences from the classic symphonic prog and jazz-rock standards. The opener “Probudi se” is excellent vocal track sounding a bit like PINK FLOYD or ELOY. “Sinteza” is more into jazz-rock with nice piano parts and there is a strange blues-like section with harmonica. “Utapanje sunceve svetlosti u pescanu memoriju” is also quite interesting piece with several different parts and chilling closing vocal section where the lyrics are influenced by Eastern philosophy (Buddhist?). “Lena” is an easy piece with flute but here the band starts loosing direction, which will continue in the extended suite-like “Druga strana mene” - a 16-minutes improvisation that offers zero really interesting ideas and above all is a very boring listen. The closing number “Minijatura” is a sort of homage to JETHRO TULL, and here you can listen to wonderful double-flute solo, in a manner similar to Ian Anderson’s.

This album is quite interesting ex-Yugoslavian prog rock although its compositions are under-developed and sometimes not fully realised. I can still recommend it to prog lovers, especially to the fans of JETHRO TULL, CAMEL or FOCUS, but I would not call it an essential work. Still, closer to 4 than to 3 stars.

Posted Monday, October 31, 2005 | Review Permalink
ljubaspriest
(Lou Trkulja)
5%20stars Another Yu-prog masterpiece,together with Indexi's "Modra rijeka",Tako's self-titled debut bore almost same uncompromised non-commercial characteristics as Sarajevo's veterans,only difference being somewhat undeveloped sound,due to very short time in the studio,mere 24 hours!? Still,very strong effort for this Belgrade outfit,raw sounding,with almost gothic feel driven by vintage keyboards including tons of analogue synthesisers and fiery guitar.Basic style here is symhonic with dash of jazz- fusion,mostly instumental and structuraly not overly complex,but very captivating with some beautiful flute an synth melodies.On the other side of spectrum electric guitar riffs are almost hard-rock sounding,while rhythm section is thunderous.Having said all above,there are some weaknesses,mainly with production,but I cannot help myself to get shivers down my spine every time I hear this record.Few years back,when this album was re-released on CD by Brazilian label Rock symphony,Eurock stated in their press release that this is the best ever album to come from eastern Europe.I won't go that far,but certainly it is the one of the best.Masterpiece of progressive rock music. Five stars!

Posted Friday, November 18, 2005 | Review Permalink
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 00:49
Sounds nice, but where can i buy these albums? I just checked amazon and they aren't being carried. (i won't dare to check ebay) I still want to get my hands on Bacamarte's second album but apparently it's not even in print anymore.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 00:53
Dominic... Amazon sucks for finding non mainstream prog.. occasionally you may find some.. but the specialized prog interent dealers are the places to go for these kinds of groups. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 05:04
I found and bought Tako's debut on e-bay. It was the only copy available, though.

But you hace to check continuously the site in order to find great non-mainstream prog.
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 15:56
^ I'll admit that i'm spoiled and don't really like the idea of paying an obscene amout of money on an album through ebay (which i hardly trust as it is) but if it's the only way i'm able to get one then i'm up for it. (my only problem is that i've been spending too much on music lately) 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by Dominic Dominic wrote:

^ I'll admit that i'm spoiled and don't really like the idea of paying an obscene amout of money on an album through ebay (which i hardly trust as it is) but if it's the only way i'm able to get one then i'm up for it. (my only problem is that i've been spending too much on music lately) 

For Prog music, I find the online vendors like Greg Walker, Wayside, Laser's Edge and many others to cover what I need.

Tako can be found at Greg's - http://synphonic.8m.com/country/yugo.htm

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Dominic Dominic wrote:

Do not betray e-bay, Dominic. My last business is Gotic - Escenes (spanish symphonic glory from 1978) for only 4,50 euros (shipping included!!!!).

Usually I buy rather rare albums for the price of 9-12 euros each (shipping included).Wink
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 20:50
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Do not betray e-bay, Dominic.

Shocked  Seriously? I'm cool with ebay but a couple of people i know have gotten taken advantage of using it.

Anyways, thanks for the link Assaf. I need to start exploring the different prog. shops online and stop being lazy.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 05:14
E-bay is great for tracing rare and generally unknown music. However, the prices may be high depending on availability of the item.
Great site, online shop that deals almost exclusively with old Yugoslav and East-European music is German label Kalemegdan disk. They have a large catalogue.

Post Reply Post Reply