Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do topics get closed ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do topics get closed ?
    Posted: January 29 2008 at 10:55
I don`t know why some people take it upon themselves to play god and just step in and say " OK I`ve had enough of this " I`m not just refering to some of my threads which may have struck some nerves in some people that have been shot down over the years but this morning I spent a few minutes of my time responding to a thread which contained issues that I consider to be important to the very survival of music itself and then poof ! it`s gone. I`m refering to the "help us fight piracy thread". Wouldn`t it be better to offer some reasoning or logic or be a little more diplomatic about it. I was going to contribute another review today but now I can`t because of time lost and frustration. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:04
Almost all the times, admins specify why the thread is closed.

Regarding that "help against piracy" thread, I think it was an invitation to register and sign a petition somewhere, which had the tendency to turn into a discussion/debate about music pirating.

Edited by Ricochet - January 29 2008 at 11:04
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:51
We do try to avoid closing threads, preferring where possible to get them back on track. Some subjects though become just too difficult to control. People ignore the site rules and either attack other members, countries, religions etc., or promote some sort of illegal activity. These tend to be the main subjects which result in thread closures.

In the case of the thread you mention Vibe, the illegal activity brigade once again decided that boasting of their activities was more important than complying with the rules. There are a number of posts which have been hidden in it.

Bottom line is, don't blame the admin team for the closures, blame those who compel us to do it.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 11:57
OK . But I wrote something in support of the guy trying to make a living playing music and by the time I hit the post reply button the thread was "plutoed". I was going AGAINST the illegall activity brigade. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 13:47
I'm just bummed I didn't get the opportunity to make witty comments about guys with wooden legs, hooks for hands, and parrots on their shoulders... (sigh)
I swear after that I would have had something serious to say.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 13:58
I understand the reasoning behind closing such threads - but in the case of illegal downloading it may be better to hide offensive posts than to close the thread. Of course the quoting mechanism is a problem here ... in the end you (Vibrationbaby) have the right to feel bad because a thread you started with the best intention is closed, but you also have to understand that the admins feel responsible for upholding certain standards, but at the same time they may be busy with real life activities and sometimes closing a thread can be the only solution for the time being.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 14:05
I want discussions to continue wherever they go, unless the creator has a problem with it.

I felt compelled to engage the people who refuse to even accept the possible upsides to (currently illegal) downloading.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I understand the reasoning behind closing such threads - but in the case of illegal downloading it may be better to hide offensive posts than to close the thread. Of course the quoting mechanism is a problem here ... in the end you (Vibrationbaby) have the right to feel bad because a thread you started with the best intention is closed, but you also have to understand that the admins feel responsible for upholding certain standards, but at the same time they may be busy with real life activities and sometimes closing a thread can be the only solution for the time being.

Oh you admins are such killjoys. Big%20smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:07
I'm going to close this thread now...

ONLY JOKING!!!!Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:12
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Oh you admins are such killjoys. Big%20smile

I'm not an admin!Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I want discussions to continue wherever they go, unless the creator has a problem with it.

I felt compelled to engage the people who refuse to even accept the possible upsides to (currently illegal) downloading.

It's true that sometimes people might feel like they have no other choice than downloading an album, for example if they live in a country where music is not as readily available as it is in most western countries. But this is as far as I will go ... and especially for people who live in the U.S., Canada, England or Germany there is no excuse for not using Napster IMHO.

But let's continue this discussion in the other thread, if at all possible.Embarrassed
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:19

I want discussions to continue wherever they go, unless the creator has a problem with it.I felt compelled to engage the people who refuse to even accept the possible upsides to (currently illegal) downloading.

The illegal downloading issue is a very sensitive one Stonie. The site itself cannot be seen as promoting it in any way. So, best to play it safe.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:36
No one plays God here...

Many threads are closed for further discussion among the Admins and forum members and in some cases they were re-opened.

Quotes and direct responses to a hidden post generally spoil greatly a thread and then it's almost impossible to let it roll.

Anyway, the forum used (Get The Word Out) sounded as an invitation to join the sites and continue the discussion there; IMO the message was addressed.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:39
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I'm going to close this thread now...

ONLY JOKING!!!!Tongue

Good joke though it is, good thing I wasn't drinking something hot when I read it. Big%20smile

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 15:41

It's not about refusing to accept future possibilites.  It's fine to discuss the future!.  The industry is going to change as you guys pointed out, fine.  Nevertheless, until the new system is in place and operation, stealing is stealing, and justitications for it are not relevent.  None of us get to make up the laws as we think they should be in our perfect world.   That's all I'm saying.  Cheers!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:01
It looks like the thread is rejuevenating itself. All I`m going to say is that I don`t know how to download at all ! And I`m sort of proud of the fact. 
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 16:35
Your signature quote says it all, Ian. Smile
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 11:19
Wow ! Someone got it ! I `m using somewhat figuratively here but just out of interest here`s where I got it. Back in the 1940s the US atmospheric environmental services started flying into eyes of hurricaines for research purposes. Well, the air in the eye of the hurricaine is very stable the tricky part in those days was entering into that area. One of the first aircraft used for these purposes were ex USAF B-25 medium-bombers which were converted into crude research platforms. This guy was the navigator aboard the first of these aircraft to penetrate a Hurricaines eye, and this was one of his first comments to the media after the flight. For some reason it has stuck in my head for years and I apply it to various situations when appropriate.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 11:41

Mike pointed out something that I feel the need to re-iterate.

When people quote offensive posts it makes it very hard to just delete the offensive posts and still make the thread coherent,because their posts have to be deleted too.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 11:51
Wha t the heck is so offensive about explaining my signature ? I don`t know about this site anymore. Really. It`s a bloody personal expression I`ve been using for years in a humourous fashion and a lot of my friends and collegues get a kick out of it when I explain it.  You guys have to take some happy pills. This is why I`m losing interest in the forums. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>