Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do topics get closed ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:22
^ who was complaining about your post? Certainly not TheProgtologist, he was simply making a general remark about quoting offensive posts.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - January 30 2008 at 12:23
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Wha t the heck is so offensive about explaining my signature ? I don`t know about this site anymore. Really. It`s a bloody personal expression I`ve been using for years in a humourous fashion and a lot of my friends and collegues get a kick out of it when I explain it.  You guys have to take some happy pills. This is why I`m losing interest in the forums. 

Talk about needing to take happy pills....

I wasn't talking about your post in this thread VB.

I was talking about quoting offensive posts in threads that degrade and need closed.

Geez......Confused

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 14:16
Sometimes I wish we could simply go back to just listening to music ... ah the old days!Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 15:38
I heard that,my friend.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 16:10
I just got three people to have a gander at what you posted before noon just to make sure I`m not going completely insane and each one said that it seemed to them, as it seemed to me, that it was meant as a response to my previous post.

I`m sorry if I took it the wrong way. Friendship Peace, Love.

But .......... at the same time, if someone doesn`t want to participate in a thread or takes offence to it it`s like watching TV, they can change the channel. If they want to get into the fray then get into the fray. I dunno.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 16:50
it's highly unlikely Progtologist's statement could be inferred as being about your posts here, Vib, and I suspect those three people just didn't understand the context

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Sometimes I wish we could simply go back to just listening to music ... ah the old days!Embarrassed

pssh... who does THAT anymore??

i remember there was a topic about drugs a while back, and the original intent of the topic was not to promote drug use, but it turned out like that anyway, with people saying they do this or that drug or whatever while listening to prog, i dont remember. the point is is that when discussing a controversial subject such as illegal downloading or drugs, it's bound to get out of hand. and from what ive seen, controversial subjects on this forum are always under the careful and watchful eyes of the admins, so watch yo'self! Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 17:13
Errrm.... weren't we just discussing Ian's signature? I am listening to music right now - firing up a freshly arrived copy of the new Ayreon album. Think I'll stay out of this hurrican further Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 17:21
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

illegal downloading or drugs

I support the illegal downloading of illegal drugs. Thumbs%20Up
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 17:22
^^^  Is that a case of two wrongs make a right???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 21:55

I just got three people to have a gander at what you posted before noon just to make sure I`m not going completely insane and each one said that it seemed to them, as it seemed to me, that it was meant as a response to my previous post.

But .......... at the same time, if someone doesn`t want to participate in a thread or takes offence to it it`s like watching TV, they can change the channel. If they want to get into the fray then get into the fray. I dunno.

The thing I found strange was,your post wasn't offensive and you didn't quote anyone that made an offensive post(there are none in this thread).

So how could you think I was talking to you when the subject of my post was about people who quote offensive posts??

I just thought it was weird that you thought I was talking about you.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 07:23
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

^^^  Is that a case of two wrongs make a right???

Well, I certainly think that if it were possible the drug dealers wouldn't be too happy about it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 11:41
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

The thing I found strange was,your post wasn't offensive and you didn't quote anyone that made an offensive post(there are none in this thread).

So how could you think I was talking to you when the subject of my post was about people who quote offensive posts??

I just thought it was weird that you thought I was talking about you.
I thought that it was weird that you would interpret the post as offensive because it did come off to me  as if you were talking about my post. The way some people express themselves and interpret things through this medium of communication can become somewhat distorted and misinterpreted at times as opposed to conventional verbal methods. I grew up in the mid-sixteenth century when we didn`t even have telephones. So I do understand that misunderstandings do occur.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 13:27
It`s like sweeping dirt under the rug. I`m relieved I didn`t start my  capital punishment thread! I It just seems that the thought police are around every corner ready to pounce.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 14:04
Some people seem to get a kick out of challenging anything they perceive as "authority".

The simple fact here is that the admin team are ordinary members like the rest, who have simply offered to give up some of their time helping the site to flourish. (And flourish it continues to do.)

No one is "playing God" here or even on an ego trip. We have a set of rules which were drawn up some time ago and agreed by the collaborators. All the admin team do is implement these rules.

We are actually very accommodating. We close or hide very few posts or threads. Sometimes though, members will decide that what they have to say is more important than sticking to the rules. They will therefore promote illegal activities, be abusive to other members/ cultures/ tastes etc., or use the forum for other selfish ends.

There are 2 reasons why we have to curtail such activity though.
 - Like it or not, we are a part of the music industry. If the industry perceive us as working against them (by encouraging illegal downloading for example), we will lose their support and cooperation, and risk being closed down.
- All our members have the right to participate in the forum without fear of intimidation, abuse or personal attack

We make no apologies to those who believe their right of free speech over-rides all this. The site will prevail for the benefit of all, not just the selfish few.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 15:49
I don`t get it. I was OPPOSING illegal downloading. I always have opposed downloading of any sort from anywhere. I might have said in one thread " Keep on Downloadin`" but it was meant in a very sarcastic manner because I was attempting to emphasize the damage downloading is causing to the music industry. Maybe we should have a little  emoticon indicating Sarcasm. I don`t know.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 17:12

My post was responding to the thread in general Vibe, and in particular to the question in its title.Wink

allan Duul II View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

My post was responding to the thread in general Vibe, and in particular to the question in its title.Wink

And a response to my deleted post no doubt
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 16:09
Now where has the Most Classical Prog thread gone ?????????????????????????????????????????
Unless I`m really losing my marbles it vanished. Poof ! I was getting interested in it. Had to check something on a record then I come back to my freakin`computer and it`s gone !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 17:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>