Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson Album Remixes by Steve Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 18:35

I do have to say that Porcupine Tree did the best deal any band could ever do.. "Stupid Dream" contains the album as well as the DVD-A 5.1 mix.. All for the price of a single album.

Best of two worlds there.

God bless Mr Wilson, but please dont screw about with the Crims please
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 19:15
I know that Fripp released re-mixed and remastered versions of Crimson`s albums some years ago, and  some of them doesn`t sound as good as the original mixings.

The bad news could be that Fripp is thinking to replace all lead vocals from Crimson`s previous singers asking Adrian Belew to re-record all of them! Wink (Sorry, I don`t like Belew`s involvement with Crimson).

Fripp is needing more money for his planned retirement in  some years! Wink (I call him "Mr. Marketing").

About 16 R.P.M. records: yes. They existed for a time. My late father had (now I have them but I can`t play them anymore)  two of them, both in Stereo from the VOX Records label, with works of Tchaikovsky and others. I remember that one side of one record lasts about 48minutes. Their existence in the market was for a limited time in the 60s, I think.

Edited by Guillermo - February 04 2008 at 19:23
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 21:38
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

mono 16 ¼ RPM.

Well, if you're going primitive... wait a second, is there really mono 16 ¼ RPM?  Guess I'm not as old as I thought I was....
Shocked Never mind that! I'm more concerned about how his Dad gave him MONO! Dead

Wink!

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 21:49
Anyway, you just haven't really lived until you've heard a Whole Lotta Love 45 played at 33 &1/3. Stern%20Smile

I had a (weird) friend who always listened to it that way. I think he owned it for some time before he realised his mistake. By then, however, it was too late for him. LOL 

You picky "correct speed, please" type purists might sneer, but it actually works -- Page's guitar gets REALLY heavy, and Plant's high voice comes out sounding like that of an eight foot tall, five hundred pound, one-eyed black blues singer on 'ludes. (Plus, a cool song lasts longer!) Cool

Alcohol helps heighten the effect....

Wacko

Edited by Peter - February 04 2008 at 21:56
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 14:47
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Anyway, you just haven't really lived until you've heard a Whole Lotta Love 45 played at 33 &1/3. Stern%20Smile

I had a (weird) friend who always listened to it that way. I think he owned it for some time before he realised his mistake. By then, however, it was too late for him. LOL 

You picky "correct speed, please" type purists might sneer, but it actually works -- Page's guitar gets REALLY heavy, and Plant's high voice comes out sounding like that of an eight foot tall, five hundred pound, one-eyed black blues singer on 'ludes. (Plus, a cool song lasts longer!) Cool

Wacko

Maybe I should try to play The Beatles` "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"  song (originally released as the B- side of the "Let It Be" single) in 33 1/3 R.P.M. or even in 78 R.P.M. ! LOL

Edited by Guillermo - February 05 2008 at 14:48
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 15:05
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Wacko

That sounds like my story regarding Rush's 2112, which I heard on 45 instead of 33 1/3 the first time I heard it.  And people thought Geddy's voice was high normally.  LOL
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 14:59
I'm recently starting my KC collection, having so far the first two albums. These Fripp reissues are fine by me but should I wait for the SW reissues?? I don't have the whole home theater set so I guess I would not enjoy it as it is supposed to be...it is not too late to buy it though.
"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 05:44
Sorry to pick this up again, but I was looking for some glimmer of news regarding a KC boxset for their 40th Aniversary (no such thing planned for now, it appears), and came across this entry on Frippy's diary:

At Wilson World HQ…

… we are listening to Steven’s surround-sound mix of Lizard.

For the first time I have heard the Music in the music, throughout the album, this including even the sessions at Wessex Studio sessions (the second half of 1970). The music is now audible, redeemed by Steven’s love of the album & the quality of his mixing.

Lizard is not an album that fits into stereo, and 5.1 provides the space, dimensionality & air needed.

Lizard has contributions & the participation of two people who continue to hold & articulate a high level of angst & personal animosity towards myself, now for almost four decades. The Lizard sessions marked the sudden decline in my relationships with both Peter Sinfield & Gordon Haskell. The continuing unpleasantness, plus my dissatisfaction with the final mix & production, has spoiled my relationship with the album & the many good ideas struggling (and before) mostly failing to be heard.

As of today, and for the first time, I can hear & enjoy the album & the music. The rest of it is superfluous. Peter & Gordon both have deserved success in their professional lives & have taken advantage of their access to media, online & hard copy, to present their own feelings & state their cases. So, hopefully, a happy ending is now available.

At Wilson World HQ we were intending to listen to Steven’s 5.1 mix of Red as well, but after 2.5 hours of the intensity & information level of Lizard, my brain moved to pickled in  extremis & I left, dribbling, for DGM HQ. A straightforward journeying to DGM HQ, arriving at the end of the afternoon.

Bigger on the inside.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 21:09
5.1 will be the next quadraphonic.
Now where did I put that Quad Mix of BTO's Not Fragile ?Cool
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123