Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin may tour in 2008!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin may tour in 2008!!!
    Posted: January 30 2008 at 12:11
I searched the whole forum and there are no threads about this topic. So here it goes!

Led Zeppelin Guitarist Wants World Tour
Jan. 28, 2008, 8:04 AM EST

Seems like we'll have to wait some months until they start revealing the dates. Big%20smile

Edited by Barla - January 30 2008 at 12:14
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 13:54
This is better news than most of us could have hoped for. I'm pumped
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 14:00
Hmm, "Led Zeppelin Guitarist Wants World Tour" isn't exactly an announcement of a tour. Robert Plant is busy touring with Alison Krauss so it may happen after that.
Or not.
proglil49 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 14:02
ClapClapClap
I want to be an astronaut
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 15:37

On 12-4-80, LZ announced to the world that the band no longer existed without JB.  They were doing the right thing then.  Breaking their word to B and their fans is a real shame.  They are trashing a great legacy as the Who have done.  They could certainly continue a career with class as they did by starting new groups projects in the 90s, P and P, whatever. 

But rehashing the LZ name for a buck is a real shame.  But then these days, there is no honor in this sense.  "Rock and Roll" is just a Cadillac jingle. 

Just my opinion of course, i realize its in the minority.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 16:15
I`m in the minority as well. It`s a shame. Nothing is sacred in the age of the mighty $.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 16:42
Ah, lay off it. Not everything has to do it, of course i would have wanted LZ and the Who to have quit after Bonham and Moon kicked it, they were after all elemental parts of the band in a way most band members aren't, but seriously, if you are the samy person in 28 years as you are now, i'm gonna think there is something really wrong with you.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 16:51
I was 10 years old when Bonham died and LZ called it a day.  My guess is that I probably didn't even know who Led Zeppelin was at that time.  I sure as heck know who they are now and I would love the chance to see the music performed live by 3/4ths of the band and I presume Bonham's son.  It probably won't be nearly the same as they were in their hey day, but it would still be an awesome can't miss opportunity.  Although once I see the ticket prices I probably will find a way to miss it.  I saw Robert Plant open for The Who a couple of years ago and it was the first chance that I had had to see either of them.  It was a great show.
An old fart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 19:13
I don't think that Led Zeppelin will ever do a world tour again, simply because the idea doesn't appeal to Robert Plant. Jimmy Page may want it and I have the impression he has been nostalgic about Zeppelin since the mid-eighties, and wanting to reactivate the old and buried band, but Plant's musical interest lies in different NEW projects, not returning to sing songs from his youth night after night.
Maybe they will play a couple of shows somewhere, occasionally, for charity purposes, but a whole world tour... I don't think so.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think all we will hear from Zeppelin in the near future will be a DVD of the 02 show last December.
"Make tea, not love"
anekglagard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 20:13
Isn't this a prog board?  * Kidding ;) *

But seriously, I'm with the minority mentioned above.  

"Led Zeppelin Guitarist Wants World Tour $$$"
rushaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 06:59
I may be wrong but I doubt these guys need the money.

A world tour would be wonderful but I don't think it happens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 15:39
Money is an addiction. Just look in the news. Every day some guy getting busted for white collar crimes. A guy here in Montréal just got 12 years. Conrad Black is due to report to his new home next month. Did these guys need money ??? Of course they want money and Plant seems to be the only one who is showing hesitant signs because he`s the only one who is doing something artistically reedeming at the moment.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 21:51
Originally posted by rushaholic rushaholic wrote:

I may be wrong but I doubt these guys need the money.

A world tour would be wonderful but I don't think it happens.

I agree completely. They have it all!

And let's have high hopes. The tour is very possible.

BTW, your signature is great! Long live the doublenecks! Clap
An old fart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 01:27
Just a comment on the issue of money, because it seems to get much attention here anyway.
I don't think pure greediness is a driving force behind Page's eagerness for a Zeppelin world tour, because 1) he has been rich enough for long enough 2) I honestly believe he just likes the idea of going back on tour with his old bandmates. I think anyone who's ever played any instrument knows how much FUN playing can be. 3) Led Zeppelin clearly is something Page has always been very proud of and he has been cherishing its legacy for long. Remember, he chose the unpublished songs from vaults for Coda a couple of years after Bonham's death, then he remastered the whole Zeppelin back catalogue, and put together BBC Sessions 2CD and then the 2DVD set and recently added the bonus material for The Song Remains the Same concert 2CD and DVD. His enthusiasm for a new world tour for me seems to be just another logical step in his passion - or nostalgia - for Zeppelin.
Of course it can be argued that he has been doing all of this only for money, but such an accusation is difficult, if not impossible, to proof wrong - nor correct. Besides, if Led Zeppelin would do a world tour, it will gross enormously, so who should collect the money, who deserves them most, if not the musicians? The record company? The concert promoters?
And, wherever each of us are/have been/will be working, do we tell our bosses "please, please, don't pay me anything, because it is destroying my integrity and I don't want to work for cash". I believe it is only fair to get paid for what you do (because somebody somewhere is profiting for it anyway) and successful rock bands just have been used to earning more than most of us. It doesn't mean they do what they do only for money - ok, Gene Simmons might be an exception.
"Make tea, not love"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 13:33
It`s money. Sorry. I can`t see it any other way. Just another band that`s almost lost my respect. I managed to see the whole concert and it was just what I predicted. I knew it wasn`t going to be a flop but at the same time ,nor was it going to be anything spectacular. 
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 22:48
Led Zeppelin had the class to call it a day when John Bonham passed. But I don't see a problem with LZ doing a reunion tour with 3/4 of the original band intact. I have a recording of the recent 02 Arena show and they sounded fantastic, with JB's son Jason doing a brillant job filling his father's shoes. And since they have now cleaned up their act  with alchohol and drugs, they could not sound better. Hell, I saw them just before the 4th album came out, and they were so drugged out they sounded like s@*t! Jimmy Page was a drooling fool that could barely play. 
Although I've always loved the band, that show was a great disappointment. 
Let the mighty Zep return, they have not sounded this good since their very early days in 1968 and early 1969.
 And as far as the Who is concerned, Townsend and Daltry should be ashamed to still call themselves
 The Who. After Entwhistle's death it was truly over for them. The Los Angeles Times last Thurday had
 the Jimmy Page article. It seems pretty clear that LZ is just waiting for Robert Plant to finish the tour with Alison Krauss. On the same day was an article with Peter Gabriel, who gave his reasons for him not appearing on the recent Genesis tour. And PG still doesn't rule out a Genesis reunion. In that article is says that Robert Plant called 
Gabriel and asked him who was going to sell out first. From all these hints and indications I believe both LZ
and the Gabriel-Hackett Genesis will eventually tour. 

Edited by Dennis - February 03 2008 at 20:50
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 18:57
You think that Daltrey and Townshend should have called it quits on The Who after Moony and Entwistle died due to drug related issues?

Come on eh.. Look at Pink Floyd.. they lost Barrett and carried on..

Bus or was it Yeggles in 1980, no-one at the time gave up just because Mr Anderson and Rick decided to leave.

If someone leaves your place of work, does your manager say "Right thats it.. We are shutting down".

The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by Frippertron Frippertron wrote:

You think that Daltrey and Townshend should have called it quits on The Who after Moony and Entwistle died due to drug related issues? 

Frankly, yes I do. John Entwhistle's bass playing style was unique and lent a great deal to the overall sound and essence of what was the Who. What PT and RD are doing now is pathetic.

Come on eh.. Look at Pink Floyd.. they lost Barrett and carried on.

Barrett was great, but remember that David Gilmour joined the band before Syd left. That made a smooth transition for the Floyd
and Gilmour brought more stability into the band and also led them to bigger and better horizons.

Bus or was it Yeggles in 1980, no-one at the time gave up just because Mr Anderson and Rick decided to leave.

Yes without Jon Anderson simply isn't Yes. Drama is a good album but no one really thought that
Yes would survive without JA. The Buggles guys did a good job of imitation, but JA is the essence of Yes.

If someone leaves your place of work, does your manager say "Right thats it.. We are shutting down"

Your place of work is a company, not an artistic creation. Huge difference IMO. Artistic work is a
unique personal expression, and in some cases certain bands could never do a reunion even if one
member of the band is missing, i.e. The Beatles after John Lennon died.
But in some cases like the Who or Zeppelin, one member missing can still not tarnish the
oringinal feel and vision of the band. And it depends on which member is missing. Zep would never work if Jimmy Page or Robert Plant was missing, etc.  Sorry I disagree on everything you said here. 

Edited by Dennis - February 03 2008 at 22:45
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
 Post Reply Post Reply