Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI suggest Tori Amos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I suggest Tori Amos
    Posted: February 05 2008 at 08:09
I couldn't find a direct contact to an Admin (I suppose I didn't look properly, but oh well..) so let's see if this gets to one.

I would like to propose entering Tori Amos on this site.

I feel that she meets a LOT of the criteria of prog, especially as I can't help wondering at some of the reviews I find here (See Deep Purple's Stormbringer; nice record but almost the antithesis of Prog :-)  ).

I would like to write a review or two, and apart from finding out about what other people here think of her, it would be nice to start my reviews with a clean slate of someone.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 08:13
I just read the thread 'Topic: Band Addition Procedure'. I don't want to be awkward, but I just can't be bothered with all that at the moment.

Perhaps you could make an exception regarding that procedure, after all Tori Amos is quite well-known, and before I went into it in that detail, I would like to know if the proposal has any chance at all.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 08:21
hahhah.. I appreciate the forthright nature of your remark.  And yes.. you did the right thing.  As to your question.  If she was to be included here... one team would look at her.. and that would be the one I am on.  So to answer your question.... does it have a chance.. who knows?...probably not to be honest... but we'll give her an honest look. About all I can promise you.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 09:07
Her earliest stuff is highly Kate Bush influenced, and I am a huge KB fan.  In fact she pretty much filled the void when Kate took an extended break from making music.

I think there are plenty of proggy elements in her new stuff.  Hell, she even had Adrian Belew guest on Strange Little Girls.  Killer cover of Neil Young's Heart of Gold...

And by the way, if you think you have a problem, apparently some people cannot get into Tool...LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 05 2008 at 09:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:19
Personally, I would be in favour of Tori's addition. I have a few of her CDs, and I have always found quite a few progressive elements in her music. Besides, she's often compared to Kate Bush, who is here, so I think her inclusion in the DB wouldn't be such a big scandal.

However, as one of the people who reviewed Stormbringer, I think I never stated it was a prog album. I am very much into a lot of Prog-Related and Proto-Prog bands, therefore I have reviewed many of their albums - and every time I have clearly stated if there were prog elements or not.  The rules of the site require that we add complete discographies, and if an album is added, it's up for everyone to review it.

I understand your remark was made in good faith, but unfortunately I tend to become annoyed every time people use that argument to push some addition. Some bands are here because the owners requested their inclusion, as controversial as it may have been. Since the site is not ours, either we accept it, or we leave.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:25
well you know her music better than I do...  so it is decided...  for evaluation she goes...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:36
Boy, we've got a nice big prog umbrella around here.  Tori Amos isn't exactly the first name that comes to mind when listing prog artists, but then again I used to say the same thing about Radiohead, so what the hell do I know.  Early stuff was terrific, but unfortunately she's another artist that fell off my radar screen over the years.  Her videos are "proggy" enough...wasn't there one where she was breast feeding rodents?  Dead
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:38
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Her videos are "proggy" enough...wasn't there one where she was breast feeding rodents?  Dead

must have missed that one LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 11:52
Google indicates that it was a photo of her breastfeeding a piglet on her album "Boys for Pele".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 12:05

Google indicates that it was a photo of her breastfeeding a piglet on her album "Boys for Pele".

oh yeah... I've heard that before hahhah... gotta love prog.  LOL
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 18:55

Boy, we've got a nice big prog umbrella around here.  Tori Amos isn't exactly the first name that comes to mind when listing prog artists, but then again I used to say the same thing about Radiohead, so what the hell do I know.  Early stuff was terrific, but unfortunately she's another artist that fell off my radar screen over the years.  Her videos are "proggy" enough...wasn't there one where she was breast feeding rodents?  Dead

She does have a picture of her "breastfeeding" a piglet in the CD booklet of Boys.  You are thinking of the video for God where she played around with rats.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 19:13

Ghost Rider: Please accept my apologies. You're right, of course, I was just amused to find Stormbringer on these pages. I don't mean to put that album down, in fact personally I think it's one of their better ones.

After all, it was Deep Purple in Rock back in 1970 that turned me onto music in the first place, and I've been a fan since ( have all their studio albums). Just seemed to be s strange place to find a review. :-)

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 19:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

She does have a picture of her "breastfeeding" a piglet in the CD booklet of Boys.  You are thinking of the video for God where she played around with rats.

That's right, now I remember, thanks.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 21:15
By the way, there's a 21 track DVD out there with most of her videos, fairly recent.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 07:19
I have no great objections to her inclusion, but I would like to point out that the genre teams do a lot of (unpaid) work to add artists to the database so to say you "just can't be bothered with all that at the moment" isn't likely to inspire them to do the addition much! The new bands process is there for a reason and you can't just assume that the relevant genre team will be familiar with the work of Tori Amos.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2008 at 12:43
Great lady, (a bit too axed on Bush in her early career, but not prog >> if Kate is here, it's for prog-related reasons.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply