FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTraditional Themes In Prog-Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional Themes In Prog-Rock
    Posted: April 02 2004 at 16:21
What are your feelings towards the use of traditional instruments and motifs in progressive rock. This is one aspect which really turned me on to this type of music. Bands like Focus, ELP, Gentle Giant, Fruup, Trace, Yes, Novalis, The Nice, Genesis and many others frequently borrowed from the classics. Perhaps the best  example being ELP's butcher job or brilliant interpretation of Mussorsky's Pictures At An Exhibition.  What's your take? I personally loved it when bands also employed archaic musical instruments in their music rather than imitating them with effects. Thijs van Leer of Focus even commented to an intervewer once ".....most bands today go back maybe 10 years while we go back to 1815."

Edited by Vibrationbaby
progchain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 16:40

Well, that's good, but Prog music is Prog in every way...

In my opinion the real prog band nowadays are groups as Godspeed You Black Emperor, Ulver etc, surely not IQ, Pallas et similia...

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 16:42

Well Vibe, as a fan of medieval, rennaisance, Baroque, classical,& Celtic/traditional, I really enjoy the use of "traditional" themes and instruments in prog, as with Gryphon, Gentle Giant, Tull, etc. Don't forget classical guitar, as played by Hackett & others too.

Such elements impart extra depth and beauty, and I'm all for more beauty in my music and my world!Thumbs Up

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Alexander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 16:53
Jazz improvisation is another theme or trait in Prog.
On A Dilemmia Between What I Need & What I Just Want

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2004 at 23:06
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Well Vibe, as a fan of medieval, rennaisance, Baroque, classical,& Celtic/traditional, I really enjoy the use of "traditional" themes and instruments in prog, as with Gryphon, Gentle Giant, Tull, etc. Don't forget classical guitar, as played by Hackett & others too.

Such elements impart extra depth and beauty, and I'm all for more beauty in my music and my world!Thumbs Up

Peter, what do you think of BLACKMORE's NIGHT?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 01:51

Stormcrow wrote:

"Peter, what do you think of BLACKMORE's NIGHT?"

Thumbs Up Good stuff, Storm. Kudos to Richie B. and wife for creating some very lovely music. I especially like their "Wind in the Willows" with Strawbs' John Ford.

Great music for mellow weekend mornings and afternoons! Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 04:09
Par Lindh Project are very good in this respect.Check out 'Gothic Impressions'.The sleeve notes are enlightening and talk about some of the things mentioned in this thread like using traditional instrumentation and the like. 
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 07:00

Stormcrow wrote:

"Peter, what do you think of BLACKMORE's NIGHT?"

Thumbs Up Good stuff, Storm. Kudos to Richie B. and wife for creating some very lovely music. I especially like their "Wind in the Willows" with Strawbs' John Ford.

Great music for mellow weekend mornings and afternoons! Smile

We are in accord.  Scary, huh?  <SMILIE>

I think Candice has a beautiful voice.  And who knew Ritchie was such a bitchin' lute player???

I let my Tae Kwon Do instructors (husband & wife team) borrow my BLACKMORE'S NIGHT CD's and they also became instant fans and went out and bought the complete catalog.

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 10:50
As I already said in an other thread, prog rock is a musical genre that has a rock foundation, on which are added elements of classical/traditional music and/or jazz. It's all in the definition of this musical genre, so it's no wonder that their influences go back to the mediaeval era or the romantic one, or even to the golden era of jazz.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 18:08
Another recurring theme in prog rock tends to be lyrical. one will notice that the lyrics for most prog bands tend to have some deep philosophical (Rush, Dream Theater, Etc.) or poetic(Yes, ELP, others...) base. I know that lyrics aren't particularly in the definition of prog, but have undergone the same development that the music has. They have progressed from a simple 'baby, baby' form to topics that are much more intellectual: 'Anthem of the heart, and anthem of the mind'.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 23:53

Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Another recurring theme in prog rock tends to be lyrical. one will notice that the lyrics for most prog bands tend to have some deep philosophical (Rush, Dream Theater, Etc.) or poetic(Yes, ELP, others...) base. I know that lyrics aren't particularly in the definition of prog, but have undergone the same development that the music has. They have progressed from a simple 'baby, baby' form to topics that are much more intellectual: 'Anthem of the heart, and anthem of the mind'.

SmileRight on Glass! Prog lyrics can reflect philosophy, science, world events, history, mythology, classic literature and poetry, fantasy, sci-fi, the Bible, etc! Prog lyricists tend to be well-read. Many have post-secondary arts education.

As a non-musician and former English major, I often focus on the words, both when listening, and reviewing. (See my latest review: Van Der Graaf Generator - PAWN HEARTS.) I like the complete package -- if the lyrics are really bad, I won't enjoy the band.Ermm

"Within a hidden cave, nymphs had kept a child -- Hermaphroditus, son of gods, so afraid of their love...." Clap

Read some mythology (or at least prog lyrics) tonight!

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 08:55

I have started reading Homer's Odyssey for the first time. I have heard many wonderful things about it, and perhaps it will be fodder for my creative soul. After all, I like to write lyrics, and perhaps the odyssey will be an inspiration.

(we should have a thread devoted to lyrics alone)

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 12:07
For me it's musical prowess first and foremost. I think the lyrical references to the arts, science, history etc can get a little cheezy at times, prog is full of bad poetry! Check out some Triumvirat, for example. On the other hand sometimes it can work well and even add a touch of humour to the piece. A good example would be the direct reference to Lewis Caroll's Alice In Wonderland on fainting In Coils from One Of  A Kind by Bill Bruford. I also like Alan Parson's musical interpretation of The Fall Of The House Of Usher. He accomplishes this brilliantly without any lyrics but of course, to garner the full effect one would have to have been previously acquainted with the original literary work. I also like the wacky voicings of Thijs van Leer and Mani Nuemier of Guru Guru.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 13:01

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

For me it's musical prowess first and foremost. I think the lyrical references to the arts, science, history etc can get a little cheezy at times, prog is full of bad poetry! 

Ermm The lyrical subject-matter is simply part of what prog is. Either you really like prog, or you don't. To fully appreciate fantasy, sci-f, horror mythology, etc, requires that you willingly engage in a "suspension of disbelief -- that is, turn off your manly cynicism that only wants to deal with the "real" or immediately relevant, and simply accept the rules or preconditions of the artform as a "given." If, for example, you can't read or watch "The Lord of the Rings" without thinking along the lines of "This is silly. There aren't any elves or hobbits or wizards. Magic isn't real!" then you can't enjoy the book or movie. Mainstream rock and pop, rap etc. has lyrics about more mundane, everyday subject matter. Prog artists will sing about deeper/fantastic (as in "of fantasy")/spiritual, etc, subjects and themes. If you want to hear about cars and girls, check out some Beachboys. If you want to hear about Tibetan spirituality, or the Book of Revelations, or a future where an oppressive government controls all aspects of its citizens' lives (hey, that could never happen here on earth, right?), or an astronaut lost in space, check out some prog. If you simply can't "take" such subject-matter, then read a truck magazine, or a newspaper, and listen to other music. Even within prog, there is a great range of lyrical content, and even instrumental music to be had!

Many men, in particular, take a certain macho pride in not reading fiction, justifying themselves along the lines of "It's not real. What use is it to me?" Fiction's "use," of course, is to entertain, first and foremost. But by taking us away from our immediate surroundings to another time/place, we are made to look at our own world in a different light, and we learn a lot about human interaction and character in the process. Not all insight into the human condition comes from science and history. Novelists know things too. I can't be a little girl in Iran, but reading a novel written by an Iranian about such a character can be the next best thing. 

This is not meant to be an insult, or an analysis of your personality (I don't know you, nor you, me), but it seems to me to be pointless to complain about the nature and conventions of an artform that is independent of our opinions.

Don't like Jon Anderson's lyrics? Don't listen to Yes. But don't tell me that the words that inspire and move me (and others) are "cheesy." We all like different things. If you are home watching football, while I am watching "Pirates of the Caribean," what of it? Am I therefore less grounded in reality that you, or do I fall outside your defintion of what it means to be a man? Should we all like the same things? Ying Yang

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 13:23

Well said, peter, I could not have expressed it more eloquently than you have

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 16:10
What is it with this guy man? Why is he so easily offended. I merely made statement. I think you take  progressive rock a little too seriously, lighten up man! I said something else on a previous thread and he automatically thought It was directed towards him in a negative way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 16:16

Who, Peter? or me? Jeez, if you're not specific, you could end up offending so many...lol

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 16:30

Don't like Jon Anderson's lyrics? Don't listen to Yes. But don't tell me that the words that inspire and move me (and others) are "cheesy." We all like different things. If you are home watching football, while I am watching "Pirates of the Caribean," what of it? Am I therefore less grounded in reality that you, or do I fall outside your defintion of what it means to be a man? Should we all like the same things? Ying Yang

Peter - I like both prog rock and football.  But who could make the case that football (or hockey or baseball or soccer or basketball or auto racing or whichever) has any more relevence to reality than does prog or jazz or reading novels?

It's all just choices on personal preference on how one escapes reality for a few minutes.

To me at least, to claim superior machismo by choosing one form of escapism over another is simply thoughtless.

Of course there are those, and I won't try to refute them, who will claim that playing organized sports teaches certain cooperative skills that can be applied in ones life in reality.  Having played organized sports I think this may be true.  But how more so than, for instance, learning to play music within a secondary school orchestra or a jazz combo or a progressive rock band?  Having done some of that as well, I would say no more at all.

Labeling people because of their choices in escapism is no more than making excuses for an absence of thought and understanding.

I've recently gotten into a rather acrimonious arguement (in another non-music oriented forum) about whether or not reading for pleasure it's self was or was not (in the words of the person I was arguing with) "queer".  Being a very avid reader of fiction myself, I was of course rather taken aback that the idea of reading for pleasure could be considered abnormal. 

But no amount of arguement, right down to pointing out that reading was what the non-reading proponent was doing on his computer screen, could sway him away from his (to me) completely wrong-headed position.  I simply have to reach the conclusion that there are people out there who have found a comfortable place where their mind can safely ossify and a new idea need never frighten them again.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 23:38

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

What is it with this guy man? Why is he so easily offended. I merely made statement. I think you take  progressive rock a little too seriously, lighten up man! I said something else on a previous thread and he automatically thought It was directed towards him in a negative way.

Vibe,

I have had time to digest your remarks, and I assure you that I was (and am) not personally offended by what you've written. I also assure you that I'm very calm at the moment, and trying to diffuse the "situation.'

Firtly, as I said, I don't view your remarks as a personal attack (nor should you, mine), but I believe that if you are going to make contentious remarks about established pillars of the genre that you KNOW many of your fellows love, you can reasonably expect some "flak" in return. When I take issue with statements made by you (or others) here, I am merely trying to represent and articulate an opposing point of view that I feel others may also hold. I have differed and debated (argued, if you will) with fellow Archive Reviewers Maani and Corbet in the past (and may well do so again!Wink) but have never felt personally attacked by them, nor, hopefully, have they by me. It is only natural and right that we should differ, (perhaps even strongly) from time to time, and as the site and list of reviewers grows, this type of "clash" of tastes will likely increase.

I am not entirely unlike you, either! I have been known to make fun of Styx and Starcastle here, but in any case these bands are somewhat minor players in the genre, and no one has ever strongly defended them, or gotten upset enough with me to really take me to task for remarks that are designed more to elicit smiles, than frowns. However, when we strongly condemn art and entertainment that others hold dear, and are even passionate about, we risk getting some people's tempers up. To paraphrase you (in a Mick Jagger vein) "I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it -- yes I do!"

ErmmThe written medium, even with high-speed Internet, is a second-rate forum for debate and discourse, however. When we write and sign our name to something, we cannot (as we could in a face to face conversation) instantly say: "Oh I'm sorry. I seem to have offended you. Perhaps I should have said it this way...." (I really wish we could, but we can't.)Confused

As I've pointed out, most of us have never even met one another, so we run extra risk of inadvertantly offending each other, and misreading another's tone. Thus, I believe that we should  be careful of what/how we write (me too!) -- but debate must go on!

Now, in the interest of the general peace and the Archives, I suggest we move past this, and get back to the music. We seem to have -- at least on this occasion -- gotten under each other's skin here (justifiably or not) and I am going to adopt a course of action that will hopefully enable us to continue writing for the site we each enjoy in a spirit of mutual respect, and tolerance of a different point of view: In the future, I won't attack any of your statements that I find contentious, but will "hold my tongue" (and my two typing fingers!) in check. I really don't want to anger anyone, or debate differing tastes overlong. I'm also not trying to tell you, or others, to "do as I do," nor do I want to tell anyone how to behave, or review (that is up to the Site's Administrators) but I believe that if I adopt this course, we should "get along" fine here.

Sincerely and Respectfully, Smile

Peter

PS: If what I've quoted above was not in response to me, then you have my humble apologies!

PPS: Good (original) topic on this thread, Vibe. Thanks!

Edited by Peter Rideout
He chortled in his joy.
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 23:43
i beleive there is(or was) a strong fantasy element in prog especially in the seventies where a"sword and Sorcery element"(for want of a better term) was quite strong this ties in with Peters and Glass Prisons thoughtful comments as to the diverse literary influences in prog.this is also probably a sixties "Hangover" where that generations youth were experimenting,not just with drugs but with other escapist modes of expression as an attempt to either deal with or escape the realities of a frightening world with issues such as the Middle East, Vietnam,etc....Issues that are still all to real today!!! ...................By the way Peter i have ONE typing finger, beat that!!!

Edited by dude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>