Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeduínos A Gasóleo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beduínos A Gasóleo
    Posted: February 09 2008 at 10:28

One of the recent acts to appear in the usually quiet portuguese prog scene, Beduínos a Gasóleo have been around since 1997, but only in 2007 did their first album see the light of day.

Prog genre: undecided

Official Website: http://www.beduinosagasoleo.com/

Artist/band biography:

Quote The Portuguese band Beduínos a Gasóleo first came into being in the late 1990's, more precisely in 1997.
As it was then, the project could be described as classic rock, with some progressive notes. The longest lasting band formation in those days included José Leal (voice), Marko (bass), René (drums), Luís Manuel Oliveira (guitars) and José Carlos Fialho (keyboards). There is only one recording of that iteration, the song Sense of Purpose in the album In Passing, a tribute to the late Adrian Borland (leader of the new wave band The Sound). The album, which includes musicians and bands from allover the globe, was published by the American "indie" label Pathos Music, and has been sold out for some years now.
In 2004, the band's creative core (Fialho and Oliveira) resolved to venture into a more ambitious kind of music (a goal that had long been spoken of), and the existing band was broken up, with the two continuing to write and compose new material.
Their work was fruitful, and, in 2005, the two author/composers decided to launch the "new" Beduínos a Gasóleo, in order to explore the new material. The band was complete with the addition of Ricardo Leite (bass), Flávio Pena (drums) and Rita Guerreiro (voice).
This was the band's make up (minus Rita Guerreiro, since it was an instrumental) when "Convergir", an original by Fialho, was recorded for "Giant for an Hour", a tribute album honoring the band Gentle Giant, one of the greats in progressive rock.
In the summer of 2006, the band went into the newly-launched Groovin' High Studios, in Lisbon, to record the first long-play album of originals. Rita Guerreiro had left by then, which left the band with no lead vocalist. The problem was solved with an invitation to Petra, from the Portuguese blues band Nobody's Bizness, who would perform most of the vocals on this album.
The album is made up of long "epic" songs (except for a new version of "Convergir", included as a bonus tracks). One of them, inspired on an idea by Nuno Lourenço, of the Portugal Progressivo society, is loosely based on Canto IV of "The Lusiads", the epic poem by Luís de Camões, the sixteenth century poet who is the most famous of all Portuguese poets. The band invited the painter and writer Miguel Horta to write the lyrics, in collaboration with Fialho. The band was also graced, for this part of the album, with a special participation by the singer Janita Salomé, in a symbiosis which might, to some, seem odd… but which turned out to be remarkably successful. (...)
There is only one thing left to say: the band's name (which translates as "diesel-powered Bedouins") is meant as an homage to the prematurely lost Portuguese journalist and science fiction writer João Botelho da Silva, who won a Prémio Caminho (awarded to that literary genre) with the novel "Beduínos a Gasóleo". After all, progressive rock and the science fiction/fantasy imaginary have always been companions...
Bio stolen from official website.

Discography:

Beduínos a Gasóleo (2007)

Song samples available on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/beduinosagasoleo

Edited by Kotro - February 09 2008 at 10:29
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 06:36
A great find Guigo - I love them. Xover possibilities, and maybe Eclectic.

(nice to see Sparks as one of their MySpace friends Approve)
What?
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 14:31
Another one from Portugal. I don't know which is the right subgenre too.
They will be present at "Goveia Art Rock 2008" as the only band from Portugal, so it's a lack if they're not in here.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 20:42
sorry about the delay guys....  accepted by Xover...  will add in the next couple of days... if it hasn't been.. just bitch at me.. and remind me...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 07:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sorry about the delay guys....  accepted by Xover...  will add in the next couple of days... if it hasn't been.. just bitch at me.. and remind me...

Tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock, Clarice...

They did a good show at Gouveia. Good enough for making me get their album. Which I am eager to review as soon as I give it a few good spins, so get on with it! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 09:16
time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' .. into the future

sh*t.. thanks for the reminder.. 

adding them now.. sorry about that.. too much on the plate.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 09:25
and added... albums are up to you to add.. sorry about the delay there Embarrassed
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 13:17
Album added. Thumbs%20Up
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 06:41
Well done.Approve
Ricardo Late View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:29
Clap 
I also think it's good work but I play bass guitar, so my opinion is not reliability!

Thank you for having heard and liked

Ricardo
 Post Reply Post Reply