Topic ClosedDillinger Escape Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dillinger Escape Plan
    Posted: March 27 2005 at 14:48
The Dillinger Escape Plan are ...

A creation merging new-school hardcore,  progressive metal, and free-jazz, the furious din of The DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN is the perfect embodiment of intensity, cathartic rage, urgency, and forward thinking.

Even though some people may be turned off by their vocals and theyre chaotic nature i think this may be one of the best new prog bands around. I havent seen anyhting about them on this webpage, and i strongly believe they deserve a spot, they just may be the new face of prog. The individual members are both extremely good and innovative on their insturments,...the song writing is new and original. The band has released 2 full lenghts and 3 eps-incuding one with master of the thorax Mike Patton (faith no more, mr bungle, fantomas). The band experiments with odd time and key signatures,  and uses polyrythms,, which puts them into the math rock genre

download something by them (try, panasonic youth, when good dogs do bad things, or calculating infinity(thats SO prog)) tell me what you think,,.,itd be interesting to see the feed back from decidley prog members about this band.
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 14:51
Not heard anything recorded by them but saw them supporting System of a Down in 2002, and it WAS just random noise, maybe it was just inexperience on my part at the time, but there was no tune to be heard in any of their songs.

And they thrashed around the stage as is they were all taking seizures in response to the lighting.
We Lost the Skyline............

Fibonacci's Se View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 14:53
contrary to popular believe they are an extremely tight band and play well together
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 15:54
I think they're good hardcore, not so much prog, but I do dig their albums (except the new one.  What a piece of trendy trash!).
Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:41

Definitely not Trendy Trash.  They proved they could deliver songs that didn't sound like songs on Calculating Infinity and also confirmed their technical prowess.  However Miss Machine is an example of what music has to offer if you can be bothered to work out how to express it outside of 3 chords or without having to wear 2 pounds of eye shadow. 

I'm not sure how prog it is either....what does it matter, it's a cool concept, great musicianship and evokative...get's my vote, I'm utterly impressed.  keep it fresh....Listen to the comments on the 'Is Prog Rock Dead' discussion, it's about doing what you do.....just nice when you it's done innovatively.

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 11:46
Really good band. Not prog, though, mainly because there's so much other techy/jazzy hardcore around. DEP are better than most at it though.
Jim Prog Wizard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 12:00

I also saw them live about three years ago, and they were so bad that they got booed off the stage.

Granted I've not heard their more recent stuff, but what I heard back then certainly wasn't prog, it was barely even music.  And this comes from a guy who digs The Mars Volta.

"Progressive Rock is the ultimate form of music" (Mikael Akerfeldt, 2003)
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 12:23
In what sense is it barely music? Harmony, yes (although very unorthodox). Melody, yes (although usually atonal). Rhythm, yes (although in somewhat bizarre timings, often).
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 12:47
Well, and obviously i can't judge their more recent offerings, when I saw them (was that at the same place as you Jim?), they showed NONE of those qualities, they WERE just thrashing randomly at their guitars, I don't know, maybe they are more refined nowadays, but that doesnt change the fact that at the time they were godawful and didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing.
We Lost the Skyline............

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 13:16
What they're doing is hardcore, for which very few clues are needed. However they play incredibly tightly jazzy/techincal stuff on CD (I can't vouch for them live personally, though. Maybe there's the problem). And while they're not as techy as Dream Theater, they're a lot more adventurous harmonically. Although the vocals on the first album, I'll admit, are terrible (NB I have a natural predisposition against hardcore vocals). Mike Patton crazies them up excellently on the Irony is a Dead Scene EP
ian_b View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:08
they are added? wtf? thats ridiculous. not even remotely progressive. random orchestrated noise. i love hardcore and i love prog but i hate this horrible band. too much credit is given to this band. i mean youd think since i like both genres that this hardcore supposed prog band would apeal to me but this is just bad music any way you look at it.
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:18
Originally posted by ian_b ian_b wrote:

they are added? wtf? thats ridiculous. not even remotely progressive. random orchestrated noise. i love hardcore and i love prog but i hate this horrible band. too much credit is given to this band. i mean youd think since i like both genres that this hardcore supposed prog band would apeal to me but this is just bad music any way you look at it.

Maybe if you stop trying to fit them into the confines of what you believe "hardcore" and "prog" should be then you'll enjoy them more. As far as I know they're not either - they're math metal, if you want to get really specific with genres, and they do what they do quite well. Just because you don't personally like it doesn't mean it's fundamentally bad music.

And to everyone who saw them live and said it sounded like random noise... that is to be expected with this type of band. If you're not familiar with their songs then hearing them for the first time in a live setting would probably make them seem that way, but if you take the time to listen to their albums then it should at least become apparent that they make music. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but to deny that what they make is music is just wrong.
ian_b View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:23
well since i have alot of musical background, and a current music major ihave an opinion of what music should be iguess. i guess noise to me is music to someone else. but you have to agree adding them is harsh.
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:32
Originally posted by ian_b ian_b wrote:

well since i have alot of musical background, and a current music major ihave an opinion of what music should be iguess. i guess noise to me is music to someone else. but you have to agree adding them is harsh.

Not really, there are a lot of "noisy" avant garde artists on here who make DEP sound like kids' music. It just seems to me that you're not a big fan of that genre, which is fine (I'm not either), but I fail to see what's harsh about their addition on the site, except maybe for the fact that they're not crazy enough to be considered experimental/avant-prog or anything like that.
Solids2k View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:32
I already voiced my opinion in the other DEP hating thread fantastically entitled "you've got to be kidding..." but it should be said again that Dillinger is progressive by all means and it saddens me that so many progressive music fans fail to see that.
vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:47

From the first listen you hear no melodies at all just a lot of thrashing. But then you discover a lot of those in their songs. By The Way 'Miss Machine' has some really good songs.

I'm not sure if i like the collaboration with Mike Patton, I mean I love them both but prefer each on his own :)

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:59
I'ne heard some of thier music, and it warrants my vot for prog.  Not my cup of tea though.
spectral View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 15:23
Originally posted by Infinity Infinity wrote:

Definitely not Trendy Trash.  They proved they could deliver songs that didn't sound like songs on Calculating Infinity and also confirmed their technical prowess.  However Miss Machine is an example of what music has to offer if you can be bothered to work out how to express it outside of 3 chords or without having to wear 2 pounds of eye shadow. 

I'm not sure how prog it is either....what does it matter, it's a cool concept, great musicianship and evokative...get's my vote, I'm utterly impressed.  keep it fresh....Listen to the comments on the 'Is Prog Rock Dead' discussion, it's about doing what you do.....just nice when you it's done innovatively.

Infinity knows what he is talking about!  Never considered them prog myself, but they're incredible musicians.

"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 15:29
Hehee, I love how pretentious some of my older messages sound here .
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 15:30
I was looking forward to their interpretation of the crazy Aphex Twin classic
'Come to Daddy' but was very disappointed to hear it. They've done nothing
more than a faithful rendition which offers none of the shock value and
humour of the original. I have to ask myself 'why?' And why should I explore
them further on this evidence?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>