Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZAPPA vs HENDRIX

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who is better guitar player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [67.35%]
16 [32.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZAPPA vs HENDRIX
    Posted: February 12 2008 at 18:18

as i have recently joined this great website, i have now the opportunity to stop discussiing with my friends about zappa´s supreme mind control of the guitar comparing him to Hendrix´s physcall battle with the same guitar outfit...

If HENDRIX WOULD HAVE LIVED JUST 8 YEARS MORE... WHAT GUITAR RIFFS WOULD HAVE HE CREATED? would he take the train to jazz land and camp there till departure. or would he be a sort of eric clapton trying to make riffs of anything he sees walking...
My alltime and oldtime discussion...

FRANK ZAPPA is the better than HENDRIX... or is it otherwise..? tell whyy..!

PS: is ZAPPA the best guitarist of all times? Of course with other lads.... Marcelo Mayor for example
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 18:20
This an extension of Saladino´s question!
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 18:40
Hendrix would have joined ELP. It would have been the most insane thing ever.
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 19:08
Easiest poll ever. Zappa!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 19:45
It is really hard to compare the two, their approach to music couldn't be more different.
Zappa was very clever and worked hard at his craft and certainly had an urge to change people with his music, but with Hendrix the cleverness and hard work were overshadowed by an extremely intense desire to reveal something abstract yet challenging and life-changing to others. It is hard to appreciate this side of Hendrix today because many of the changes he introduced are common place now.
On a technical level the two guitarists are similar, but I would say Zappa was a little more consistent. Hendrix had to be "in the zone" or his best stuff wouldn't come out.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
cookieacquired View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 19:51
I was gonna say something eloquent, but EZ$ took it from me already, so I guess I'll just not assent with Zappa, as he's the only guitar player I could have 3 discs of solos of and not get bored of

Turion View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 21:14
Frank Zappa wins this very easily, because as stated in an earlier post, he was much more consistent and could compose music way more diverse and challenging, thus more rewarding to the listener. Now that I know a little bit more about the man too I really respect him as a human being and I think he was really a great man who left us too early. Hendrix did some interesting stuff, but it has less reach because all he did was play rock, although in a very new way. As for Frank Zappa, he worked very hard and composed some of the finest pieces of music ever!
?: (
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 21:24
Hendrix, for a few reasons
1) his music has had a lasting impact on rock Zappa only really affected a small part of it
2) his music is more listenable, it dosn't feel contrived or over the top like Zappa
3) just the image, he was so much more iconic and emotive than Zappa
4) more psychadellic freeform sound
5) I perfer blues and jazz based guitar to anything
6) Hendrix released great albums in a short amount of time, it took Zappa for ever to do his best work
7) Hendrix never stooped to fourthgrade sex joke lyrics

who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
LifeSeeker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 22:39
I think as mainly prog listeners, Zappa has a clear advantage in this poll.  In order to fully judge the situation you need to have a taste in both types of music.  Ultimatly, Hendrix is infinity more acclaimed as Zappa.  Hendrix's approach to music very unique.  Ultimatly his albums didn't sound that different from mainstream, however if you research his bootlegs and live performances you will discover a level of musicianship that trancends creativity in mind boggling ways.  I would certainly prefer to listen to Zappa over Hendrix at any point in time and his playing style will never cease to amaze me. However, the fact remains prog rock is a breed apart from most music and to prefer Zappa is convicting yourself as prog addict. 
To put it simply:  Hendrix definatly has to take the cake because he opperated on a higher level and had wider impact on music.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2008 at 22:45
I dont know enough Zappa to vote, but one thing is for sure, I cant stand the music of Jimi Hendrix.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 04:09
Another vote for uncle Frank.. Hendrix is great and all that but a bit overated IMO, while Zappa is very underated. Hendrix wasent sutch a great songwriter while Zappa is one of the best ever. I like both but Zappa a big deal more.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 07:58
Zappa.

Too many reasons to mention, but here are a few..'Stevies Spanking'(Youtube it) 'Willie the Pimp' and 'Watermelon in Easter Hay'
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 09:19

Different forum, same reply: Jimi Hendrix without a doubt.  Just listen to "Band of Gypsys".  Frank Zappa was a genius arranger who played good guitar not a genius guitar player who could also arrange.

Urs Blank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:58
Diversity and work versus spontaneity and drug.
Although it is IMO very hard to compare them, I prefer Zappa for its musical searches. If only they were still alive, we could compare their evolutions and it would be easier for me to bring a fair judgment!!
Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali.
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 13:28
Zappa, coz they  were sending Hendrix to heavens so early.Confused

Edited by zicIy - February 13 2008 at 13:31
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 13:54
Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Easiest poll ever. Zappa!

I'm not much of a guitarist, and so not able to judge them adequately.  Brilliant though Zappa was, I don't think he was a better guitar player (obviously may others disagree though some seem to be thinking about composition more than performance, or even just personal preference) .  I love both artists music (I prefer Zappa's music on the whole, but the question isn't which we prefer), but Hendrix was so good at controlling distortion, and obviously widely recognised as a guitar god..

Hendrix is amazing on Band of Gypsys, I can't think of any Zappa guitar-work that got to me like Hendrix doing Machine Gun.  It would be interesting to compare specific performances.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saladino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 18:19
In respones to           proletariat´s      said that he prefers jazz based guitar... zappa had more jazz than hendrix for sure, not only because he said "jazz isn´t dead it just smells funny" but because he believed in the free style improvisation jazz based...lets not forget his closed buddy George Duke great jazz pianist. Songs like "Flambay" a soft kind of ballad. or real jazz medleys like R.D.N.Z.L or what the heck: cruisn for burgers, sexual harrasment in the workplace and more from guitar..

its hard for hendrix fans to really accept anybody else but THEIR Hendrix. his great.. he sure did it in the isle of wight...  maybe he could have let space for other instruments to show their stuff... even so jimi is the maniac and the manipulator of the guitar, he controlled it , he look for sound but for control!
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 20:21
Zappa is one of only a very select few whose extended guitar solos are listenable to these ears.  I can't say the same of Hendrix.  

kiwi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 20:59
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

If HENDRIX WOULD HAVE LIVED JUST 8 YEARS MORE... WHAT GUITAR RIFFS WOULD HAVE HE CREATED? would he take the train to jazz land and camp there till departure. or would he be a sort of eric clapton trying to make riffs of anything he sees walking...
My alltime and oldtime discussion...

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Hendrix in the latter days was listening to Bach - so that influence  may have made  his playing more  mathematical and  technical.

I just love Zappa's guitar work in Son of Orange County and Inca Roads.

We, verily, have made music as a ladder for your souls, a means whereby they may be lifted up unto the realm on high.. (Baha'u'llah)

music
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 21:02

Hendrix was a better guitar player,Zappa was a better composer.

Personally i think this is the true genius behind the scene.

Post Reply Post Reply