Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool already starting new album? Can this be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool already starting new album? Can this be?
    Posted: February 14 2008 at 18:58

Revered avant-metallers Tool have been nominated for several Grammy Awards over the years, and they've even won three: Best Metal Performance in 1997 and 2001; and Best Recording Package in 2006 for their most recent LP, 10,000 Days. This year, Tool were up for Best Hard Rock Performance again, for the 10,000 Days track "The Pot," but they lost the award to the Foo Fighters.

Not surprisingly, Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan has long shunned the Grammys, and had never even been to the ceremony before Sunday night — despite the numerous nods to his band's work. So why the change of heart, Maynard?

"Well, it's the 50th anniversary, and my son's never been to the Grammys, and I've never been to one, so I figured it's probably time," Keenan told MTV News on the Grammy red carpet on Sunday. His date for the event was his 12-year-old son, Devo, who is a cellist for Ashes Divide, the band founded by Keenan's A Perfect Circle co-pilot, Billy Howerdel. "There are other things we could do, but this is very special, I think, and it will be the highlight of the year for him. I think he's pretty stoked about it. We're kind of easygoing."

The reclusive Keenan isn't the awards-show-going type, of course, but, just before heading inside Los Angeles' Staples Center, he admitted he was looking forward to the Foo Fighters' Grammy performance. "It's going to be tremendous," he predicted of the band's outdoor set, which featured a full orchestra conducted by Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones.

But really, talking about the Grammys isn't exactly an exciting endeavor for Keenan, and as fans might expect, the enigmatic singer has a lot on his plate anyway. His idiosyncratic side project, Puscifer, is keeping him quite busy, and so is his Sedona, Arizona, winery, Merkin Vineyards. Late last year, Keenan — who is a passionate wine connoisseur — released a 2004 Nagual de la Naga, a 2004 Nagual del Sensei and a new Primer Paso.

And yes, there's also Tool's fifth studio album to think about. While he wouldn't say much about the forthcoming LP, Keenan did reveal that the band would soon be reconvening to start kicking around song ideas.

"We're going to start writing the new Tool record right away," he said.

That said, there's no time table for the disc — Keenan didn't say when he expected the band to start tracking the effort, when it might be ready for release or what it might sound like. But with Tool's touring schedule wide open for the foreseeable future, he said it's time for the band to buckle down. He also elaborated on Tool's creative process.

"The music always comes first," Keenan said. "We all get in a room, shut out all the extra noises from the other people and what goes on outside the room and just focus on the four of us, where we are that day. And then we just start making sounds."

If this is true, then it will be the shortest gap between studio efforts Tool has ever taken. Is this a good or bad thing? Or do you even believe it?
dpedal1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 19:48
When I have the album in my hand...that's when I believe it.
"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late." - Reflection
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 19:56
starting =/= recording and putting out soon by any means

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 21:00
Revered avant-metallers...... Yeah....right.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 21:15
^^ For MTV they are

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the album for some reason, even though I didn't like 10,000 days. I just feel like it's going to be better this time.
Prince_Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 22:30
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Revered avant-metallers...... Yeah....right.

exactly
". . .your history knows no bounds. . ."
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 00:56
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

^^ For MTV they are

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the album for some reason, even though I didn't like 10,000 days. I just feel like it's going to be better this time.

Meh . . . if you didn't like 10kD, then you were probably expecting a second La te ra lus. That isn't going to happen, my friend, and once that is accepted, I think the future Tool releases will be better recieved.

Wait . . . you didn't like anything about 10kD? Not even the album packaging? Bob Fripp hailed it as the best album art since the 70s, and I have to agree with him! Though cool outer diggs does not a great album make. However in my opinion 10kD is great on both the outside and the inside! Big%20smile
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 00:59
Oh, and by the way . . . I vote for my signature pic to be used in place of the severely outdated band photo used for Tool's bio page currently on this site.Especially since that one has their ex-bass player in it as well . . . just a suggestion.
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:10

This is pretty interesting, however as was stated starting to kick around ideas does not mean they'll be recording anytime soon. If I had to guess, I'd say 2010 will mark the release of their new album, likely second half of the year. Somehow I think that guess is gonna be optimistic though.

Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:15
Disapprove....If they rush this album it will wind up as bad as 10,000 days was..I wish they'd release something as good as Lateralus again...best tool album by far...and I'd like to hear some actual guitar work on this album...SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO ADAM!
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

^^ For MTV they are

10,000 Days didn't appeal to me either. I'll give it another try. But still loking forward to this non-existing one.
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 00:54
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

Disapprove....If they rush this album it will wind up as bad as 10,000 days was..I wish they'd release something as good as Lateralus again...best tool album by far...and I'd like to hear some actual guitar work on this album...SHOW US WHAT YOU CAN DO ADAM!
10,000days was not bad. Different yes, and I for one welcomed the changed because having 3 similar albums wouldn't be good. Days was a lot more accessible, and also a lot more experimental than the other albums. except this time when they experimented they had some sort of structure and rhythm rather than avant-garde sounds and keyboard solos. if they're next album is like 10,000 days then i think it will be bad because it means after 5 years they haven't progressed, however 10,000 itself was not bad.

if anything, I want tool to get heavier. if any metal band can get heavy without sacrificing texture, technique, and complexity, tool can. (Dream Theater failed at this btw, not that it's on topic)
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 03:31
I enjoyed 10K Days yust as much as Lateralus and i thinks its on the same level, difrent yes but yust as good IMO and its a prog band after all. And ofcours i look forward for thiere next whenever it comes.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 11:33
I really enjoyed 10,000 Days but admitedly it did tail off a bit towards the end.

If Tool release a new album before 2010 I'll eat my copy of Lateralus.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 14:19
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

I really enjoyed 10,000 Days but admitedly it did tail off a bit towards the end.

that would be quite the sight LOL.
Firdous e Bareen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 23:49
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Wimp. Eat your copy of 10,000 Days instead. With the lenses and all it would be much more filling.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 20:31

I'm quite looking forward to their new albumSmile and even if they bring it out next year (not likey though) or 2010, if they commenced very soon and really do buckle down, I can't imagine it being a rushed effort.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 11:49
I'll believe it when I see it....  I would like to see another Tool album though.
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 17:51
I am always excited for a new Tool album, they are one of my top bands of all time. To me they have never had a bad album. Their last album ,10,000 days was great, very experimental and some great bass work by Justin Chancellor. I just hope this album will not be rushed, they should take their time.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:54
As I said, I don't think people realize that Tool only takes a bout a year to write and complete an album. All of the down-time between releases is due to side projects, family time and record label feuds. If Tool releases another record next year, it won't be "rushed", because that is no longer than it normally takes them. It just means they would have actually started working on it sooner than usual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>