Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - We still promise the teeth! A look at post metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWe still promise the teeth! A look at post metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: We still promise the teeth! A look at post metal
    Posted: February 19 2008 at 00:20

Post metal

A genre of music that truly carries the progressive banner. Though, no one can clearly date it, it's widely believed that post metal was started in the mid nineties, when a band called Neurosis released the massive album; Through silver and blood. It featured lengthy songs with angry subject matter, driven by primal drumming, fierce guitar strumming, and a vocalist, neither singing, growling or screaming, but yelling his words with an angry passion. Since this monumental album, huge groups took after the style, but adding new elements, and different genres, and by 2008, the genre itself is as diverse as it's post rock brother.

With Neurosis came two bands that also affected the new metal community, if not more than them. These bands were Pelican and Isis. Pelican, brought the edge Mogwai brought to post rock, they brought the guitar to the front, and never let it down, completely leaving vocals cold in the snow, letting the music lead itself from simple power chords, to intricate arpeggios, and powerful climaxes that was never before heard of. Isis brought the most progressive elements, with spacey lead guitar lines, eerie clean vocals, and intensely slow build ups, the songs will start at a snails pace, to a massive anthemic metal wall of sound, with death metal growls, powerful guitars, and not to mention a keyboardist to create an atmosphere. These three bands influenced a whole new generation of metal bands, and laid down the groundwork for groups to come, these groups would come to play music called post metal.

Group 1: Sludge metal
It's arguable whether or not this group is even post metal, they are more of  some of the genres biggest influences. Featuring what Neurosis first brought, long songs, simple guitar playing and drumming, yelling vocalist, and deep subject matter. Debatably, Isis' first few albums lean more towards this sub-genre rather than what they're playing now, at least until Oceanic with a mixture of both styles they played. The key factor that sets this genres music from the others, are the sludgy guitar chords, a tone very typical of all post metal in general, but these groups tend to use the tone more as a device to layer they're music, and absolutely saturate they're songs with it, creating a very muddy, and edgy feeling. Bands like Dirge take it to the extreme, and let the sludge feedback, during ten minuet DRONE passages, where the guitar will just ooze this tone non stop. Bands under this genre include...
Neurosis
(early) Isis
5ive
Dirge
Ganon
Tomydeepstego
Ocean
Key album of genre: Neurosis-Through silver and blood

Group 2: Hardcore/Death/Doom influenced
The name says it all, with Isis and Pelican leading the way, the bands drop the narrow style of sludge metal, and add an atmosphere of extreme metal to the mix. This genre started a huge musical revolution, creating dozens of instrumental bands, wanting to play a more artsy style of Doom metal. Band like Omega Massif lead the way with trippy guitar lead lines, and complex song structures, but with the sheer brutality of doom metal. Others delved into a more fast paced style of metal, with an energetic starts to their songs, and explosive endings, typical of the followers of Pelican. All these bands collectively are influenced by the hardcore, and death metal of the nineties, with extreme vocals, and extremely dark attitudes. Key bands of the genre...
(Oceanic+)Isis
Pelican
Omega Massif
Tides
Blackwaves
Empires
Kongh
North
Key album of genre: Isis-Panopticon

Group 3: Eclectic post metal
By the turn of the millennium, the genre was growing fast, and new bands were trying new things, but no one was prepared for Cult of Luna. A Swedish band, of about seven members, featuring keyboards, and even three guitars, created music with the attitude, and intensity of standard post metal, but with a very clean cut edge. Controlled chaos, is what some would call it, with angular guitar riffing, brutal drumming, and strange keys in the background, you might just think this is just another neurosis, but these bands brought something few post metal bands ever tried, clean vocals, and soft sections. Cult of Luna often brings they re songs down to crying guitar arpeggios, and soft keys, for the rest of the band to begin to swirl around, reinventing the word climax. Other bands like Rosetta brought strange recording techniques, where you would have to combine two song in order to get one complete one. Sadly, this may be one of the most neglected forms of post metal, with an opposition saying there is a lack of emotion, and atmosphere. Key bands of this genre are...
Cult of Luna
Conifer
Year of No Light
Rosetta
Callisto
Irepress
Key album of this genre: Cult of Luna-Somewhere along the highway

Group 4: New wave of Post metal
Now in the mid 2000's, many bands are being found, and sadly, some being copy paste bands of the original genre, but very recently, some pioneers, of the genre of metal as a whole have been making music unlike any heard before. Who knows who really started the movement, but groups like *Shels came out more of a prog rock band, rather than metal group, with acoustic guitars, dense atmospheres, and rather convincing soundscapes. Other bands like giant squid kept the sludgy guitars, but left everything else, putting in standard drumming, slow songs, 100% clean vocals, and even strings. Some would argue, this genre is more prog than metal, but I think that's what these bands intended for in the first place. Nothing about theses groups tend to follow the trend laid down by the neurosicans, and completely leave the beaten path to create something very new, and exciting, and may eventually redefine the face of post, or prog metal. Key bands of this genre are...
*Shels
Giant squid
The Pax cecilia
Grayceon
The morningside
Key album of genre:*Shels-Sea of Dhying Dhow

Groups 1,2,3,4: Instrumental post metal
Instrumental bands in post metal make up about half if not more of the genre, and they range from every spectrum of metal as well. There are the Doom bands such as Omega Massif, and Tides adding in the trippy lead line to front stage. Bands like Empires, and From oceans to Autumn creating a less experimental edge, but adding a very modern rock feel. But one of the biggest groups are the highly experimental ones, dabbling in both post rock, metal, and even extrememly technical metal, these bands include Irepress, and Meniscus. Key bands to this genre include...
Pelican
Omega Massif
Tides
North
Irepress
Una Corda
Meniscus
From Oceans to Autumn
Souvenirs young america
5ive
Blackwaves
Tides
Lent0
AND COUNTLESS OTHERS!
This "genre contains somany varying style, but it would be a shame not to add this album...

Edited by schizoid_man77 - February 20 2008 at 23:17
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 01:40
ClapFantastic Blog schizoid_man77.  I have been into Post Metal for 7 months now and this article helped to expand my knowledge on it, so thank you so much for writing thisSmile
I have always felt the Post Metal genre is underappreciated here at PA, and I hope this blog can open up more ears and minds to what is an absolutely amazing genre of prog.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 01:49
Cool blog, Ian. Thumbs%20Up
Being someone knew to the genre, I think it would help if you specified which artists were instrumental, which use clean vocals only, which use harsh vocals only, which use a mix, it think it's important because that has been almost the sole factor in my liking or disliking a band in this genre and I know I'm not alone there.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 06:49
thanks, that was nice you're progressing a lot, baby
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 10:19
Well did learn a few things I didn't know from Post MetalClap Nice one can now see you're totally into Post MetalLOL
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 10:44
Excellent article! Clap

Just one thing, the Neurosis first related and initial album started with Souls At Zero

Edited by avestin - February 19 2008 at 10:48
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 17:57
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Excellent article! Clap

Just one thing, the Neurosis first related and initial album started with Souls At Zero

Souls at zero may have been THE neurosis album that gave them they're sound, but at least from what I know, Through silver and blood has made a much bigger impact in general than souls at zero, as far as influence, IMO.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 18:23
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Excellent article! Clap

Souls at zero may have been THE neurosis album that gave them they're sound, but at least from what I know, Through silver and blood has made a much bigger impact in general than souls at zero, as far as influence, IMO.

I didn't mention Impact (though I personally attribute more importance to Souls At Zero); I was referring to this sentence of yours:

Though, no one can clearly date it, it's widely believed that post metal was started in the mid nineties, when a band called Neurosis released the massive album; Through silver and blood. It featured lengthy songs with angry subject matter, driven by primal drumming, fierce guitar strumming, and a vocalist, neither singing, growling or screaming, but yelling his words with an angry passion. Since this monumental album, huge groups took after the style, but adding new elements, and different genres, and by 2008, the genre itself is as diverse as it's post rock brother. 

Can you bring reference to this? Who is this wide audience the believes this?

In any case, what I initially wrote had nothing to do with impact but with the statement that this started post metal.
You say it yourself:

Souls at zero may have been THE neurosis album that gave them they're sound

Anyway, good article!

Clap

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 18:29
This blog inspired me to get some Giant Squid. A great recommendation.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 21:32
Cool, love the article, one thing though, you mention The Morningside but not Agalloch, for an article I would think that the more influential and popular bands would get more attention than the little known follower bands. (Though I am probabbly just being to nitpicky)
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 21:59
Well, I have only heard a couple of Agaloch songs, and I can see a major resemblence in vocal styles with the morningside. Truth is, I dont know enough to put them in a proper catagory, but if I had to, I'd probably put them under hardcore/doom/death.

Itsy, I will gladly make a section for the instrumental bands for you!

Instrumental bands in post metal make up about half if not more of the genre, and they range from every spectrum of metal as well. There are the Doom bands such as Omega Massif, and Tides adding in the trippy lead line to front stage. Bands like Empires, and From oceans to Autumn creating a less experimental edge, but adding a very modern rock feel. But one of the biggest groups are the highly experimental ones, dabbling in both post rock, metal, and even extrememly technical metal, these bands include Irepress, and Meniscus. Key bands to this genre include...
Pelican
Omega Massif
Tides
North
Irepress
Una Corda
Meniscus
From Oceans to Autumn
Souvenirs young america
5ive
Blackwaves
Tides
AND COUNTLESS OTHERS!
This "genre contains somany varying style, but it would be a shame not to add this album...
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 22:15
Extremely informative blog. I feel erudite now!

Thanks shizoid_man77.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
youllneverbe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 08:50
Neurosis will remain the daddies, I reckon.
Also, I can't believe you missed out Breach - but for one single year and they would be on the tips of everyone's tongues, I promise you. Their last album 'Kollapse' simply pisses on most of the bands you've listed... and that's really saying something.
www.myspace.com/mewithothers
www.myspace.com/desertcitysilence
www.stfu-land.com
youllneverbe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 08:51
Oh... er... and how about the Melvins & Tool?
www.myspace.com/mewithothers
www.myspace.com/desertcitysilence
www.stfu-land.com
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 18:26
Originally posted by youllneverbe youllneverbe wrote:

Neurosis will remain the daddies, I reckon.
Also, I can't believe you missed out Breach - but for one single year and they would be on the tips of everyone's tongues, I promise you. Their last album 'Kollapse' simply pisses on most of the bands you've listed... and that's really saying something.

Never heard of breach in any way, and they're not even on the archives. Same deal with Melvins.

Anyways Tool is not post metal... in any way, and I'm pretty sure most people will agree with me. Sure they may have influenced them in one way or the other, but once again are in no way post metal.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 19:12
You haven't heard any Melvins? Impossible. =)
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 19:51
By the way, another band you can add to this, is the good Dutch band TRANSMISSION0
http://www.myspace.com/transmission0
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 21:53

By the way, another band you can add to this, is the good Dutch band TRANSMISSION0
http://www.myspace.com/transmission0

ClapClapClapClapClap

Great band,I recently added them to the archives.

I highly,highly,highly recommend their album Memory of a Dream.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 21:54

Well, I have only heard a couple of Agaloch songs, and I can see a major resemblence in vocal styles with the morningside. Truth is, I dont know enough to put them in a proper catagory, but if I had to, I'd probably put them under hardcore/doom/death.

Itsy, I will gladly make a section for the instrumental bands for you!

Pelican
Omega Massif
Tides
North
Irepress
Una Corda
Meniscus
From Oceans to Autumn
Souvenirs young america
5ive
Blackwaves
Tides
AND COUNTLESS OTHERS!

Many of these bands have songs on the streaming player here on their respective band pages in the archives.

Oh.....and Lent0 can be added to this list too,great band.

Edited by TheProgtologist - February 20 2008 at 22:11

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 23:18
I put the instrumental post bands on the original blog, adding Lent0, though I was a little disapointed with their album earthens, way too conservative for a band with three guitars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>