Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for a band with ancient sounds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a band with ancient sounds
    Posted: February 19 2008 at 12:49
Hi I'm new here, but I'm not new in prog music.

I need help guys, I'm looking for a progressive rock band that has a lot of rythm changes such as symphonic prog and has ancient sounds something like egyptian music or ancient greek music. I don't know if any band like that exists but I'm sure someone here knows something like that.

Thank you
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 13:17
I don`t know. Have you tried listening to any of Gentle Giant `s stuff ? 
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 13:21
a lot of Symphony X references ancient mythology, but more so in a lyrical sense than a musical one. To me at least Yes's music feels ancient and grand, especially on Close to the Edge, Relayer, and Tales from Topographic Oceans.
if you want to go outside of progressive rock and you don't  mind death metal, you could try Nile. They play egyptian themed death metal that has an ancient sound.
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 13:22
Try the New Percussion Group from Amsterdam.  They play wooden drums that are tuned that are the same type drums that the ancient people from Africa played.  Bill Bruford guests on one of their records.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 13:56
The Vangelis album Heaven and Hell is based on ancient Greek music.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 14:08
When sean said Nile, I thought of Nil, a French band. Copied from their PA page:

Their third effort, "Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaļ" ("Forty Days On The Sinai"), is a conceptual work dealing with Ancient Egypt and old gods....the music is a mesmerizing melange of Mellotron and organ laden dark prog enmeshed with flute, searing guitar runs, Chapman Stick, dreamy female vocals as well as dramatic commanding male vocals (all vocals are in French).

A four star album for me but you better like long songs.  Only two on the 62 minute effort.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Paper Champion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 14:28
Not sure I can help you in searching for ancient greek music in prog, but maybe I'll like some folk-prog or eclectic prog bands? Djam Karet or Ritual, for instance, - both of them are great!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 14:40
Gryphon used a lot of ancient instruments, like krumhorn for example. But perhaps not as ancient as you wish.
Embryo use instruments from all around the world, some of them pretty ancient too.
Not prog, but also using instruments from all around the world, some of them probably pretty ancient too: Hadouk, a French trio consisting of Didier Malherbe on all kinds of wind instruments, Loy Ehrlich on keyboards and hajouj (a kind of African bass) and Steve Sheehan on all kinds of percussion instruments.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 15:17
Originally posted by everyone everyone wrote:

Try the New Percussion Group from Amsterdam.  They play wooden drums that are tuned that are the same type drums that the ancient people from Africa played.  Bill Bruford guests on one of their records.
I've got the Bruford one.  I believe it's out of print. Cry
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 20:36
Therion has some "ancient" sounds...especially on Theli, but they're not really prog.
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 00:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by everyone everyone wrote:

I've got the Bruford one.  I believe it's out of print. Cry

That is horrible for such a cool album.
ProgArg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 06:59
Thanks all I'll try  "Quarante Jours Sur Le Sinaļ" by Nil

I'll try other ones too, so please go on with the recommendations.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 09:11
The new MCHH - or Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses if you like to be formal - EP includes a track called Manticore which begins with a very medieval sounding section, replete with tight drums and peculiar wind and string instruments. Sadly for you, the music still grows into an avant-chamber-post-rock-ified thing eventually...
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 10:19
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Gryphon used a lot of ancient instruments, like krumhorn for example. But perhaps not as ancient as you wish.
Embryo use instruments from all around the world, some of them pretty ancient too.
Not prog, but also using instruments from all around the world, some of them probably pretty ancient too: Hadouk, a French trio consisting of Didier Malherbe on all kinds of wind instruments, Loy Ehrlich on keyboards and hajouj (a kind of African bass) and Steve Sheehan on all kinds of percussion instruments.

After Gryphon, check out Circulus. ("Taking retro to it's logical conclusion": Howard Moon, the Mighty Boosh.) 

Hadouk are great, but they only seem to gig in France, which is a great shame. I saw them in Amsterdam once, but that was a very special occasion.
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

After Gryphon, check out Circulus. ("Taking retro to it's logical conclusion": Howard Moon, the Mighty Boosh.) 

Hadouk are great, but they only seem to gig in France, which is a great shame. I saw them in Amsterdam once, but that was a very special occasion.

Hadouk played at the Berlin jazz festival in 2007.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 13:52
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

Therion has some "ancient" sounds...especially on Theli, but they're not really prog.

Good point about Therion, they indeed involve some 'ancient Egyptian and Babylonian' sounds.
Probably not really prog, but some quite good sounds.

Nile, as Dean mentioned, are in the same group of bands, regarding their sound.
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 05:28
Maybe 666 by Aphrodite's Child, I don't know whether it's "ancient " enough.
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 11:45
Yes "Tales from Topographic Oceans", it even has a song called "The Ancient"!
But i don't know if it's really what you're looking for. Nevertheless, a fantastic album!
Firdous e Bareen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 00:49
Orphaned Land are an awsome progressive/experimental metal band from Israel who use a lot of traditional instruments in their music. They're included on this site, and there's a free mp3 stream.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2019

Post metal band Neurosis also have a very ancient sound, and In the Absence of Truth by Isis does too (at least for me).

Edited by Firdous e Bareen - February 22 2008 at 00:53
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 02:48
My recommendations for NIL - Quarante jours sur le Sinai also. It fits greatly to your specifications: there certainly is a lot of rythm changes and very complex stuff like several overlayed simultaneous themes. It has  ancient egyptian sound as well, or more like ancient atmosphere. This album is easily one of the greatest records ever released IMHO. But beware, it may take time to get into.

As Vangelis is mentioned here, I really don't see much of ancient greece on Heaven & Hell, but do purchase Vangelis & Irene Papas albums Odes & Rapsodies, they are really deeply OLD! They may not be truly progressive, but they're brilliant stuff anyhow.

And then there is Seven Reich! That's made for you! Their albums Strinkadenn' Ys and Samsara are brilliant symphonic stuff in very traditional celtic and arabic influences! Even the arabic language Kabyle is used as well as a huge pile of traditional instruments. You should really check these out!

Also I recommend you the Spanish orchestras Triana and Mezquita and their first albums that I believe you would like.

And then there is of course the Rajaz of Camel. A very arabic symph album, mellow and smooth, an easy piece so there's not much of a complexity, but a very strong egyptian feeling.

Edited by Kobaia - February 22 2008 at 02:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>