Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTOP Albums List changes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOP Albums List changes
    Posted: February 21 2008 at 09:23
Hi,

I am currently testing a new way to select TOP ALBUM using the weighted average rating of albums.

I now only display album with at least 25 ratings and average over 3.5.
http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?year=2007

What do yo think ?

Prog On !
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 09:46
You should definitely allow the users to choose whether they want to see albums with less than 25 reviews or not ... often reviewers use these lists to find "under-reviewed" albums.
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 10:46
For some subgenres this limit is too "strict" (for instance ISP "top 100" now features only 45 albums)... IMO it would be better include albums with al least 10 reviews or ratings...
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 11:23
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

You should definitely allow the users to choose whether they want to see albums with less than 25 reviews or not ... often reviewers use these lists to find "under-reviewed" albums.

I agree.

Very good albums (not only by my definition) are missing from such restricted lists. Senogul and Grayceon for instance.

It's a good list for someone new who wants to top/most poplar albums but like Mike says, once you're beyond that you want more, and that smaller group is found beyond the limits of such a list.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 11:31
Maybe it would even be useful to specifically search for albums with few ratings or reviews. You could add a simple dropdown to the existing search form (albums with more than 20 reviews / albums with less than 20 reviews).
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 12:53
I like the average over 3.5 part, but as people have already said, the 25 rating aspect might be a bit too much and would keep the more undiscovered albums out. As Mike said, it should be optional.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 13:53
I think the remark about the number of 25 reviews being too hight is correct - but for a different argument than band discover.
This way of doing the top 100 will never be useful to unhide certain great, but less reviewed albums. A good example is the Hectic Watermelon album "The great american road trip", which is considered a great album my many members, yet only two have taken the time to review or even rate it.

Whatever algorithm applied, I think another means should be available to discover new bands. I suggested a random review / random album selector almost two years ago that could serve that purpose.
The demo page for that is still available: http://www.hulshout.nl/randomreview.html

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 12:33
is there any way we can bring the best 2006 album list back?? I personally found that extremely helpful when checking out new bands....Disapprove
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 09:26
Fandango: You can do that yourself, by selecting 2006 on the "Filter year" dropdown menu that you can find on any of the top list entries. Personally, I find it more useful with a 2008 than a 2006 entry on the front page, so I completely endorse that change Wink

When it comes to the question of a 3,5 rating / 25 reviews filter, I have to say that I endorse the idea of a "recommended filter" that can give a notion of what albums should be considered a representative in a top list. However, I think this site should learn from www.gnosis2000.net whose top ratings lists are far more flexible. There, you can in addition to filter by the year, also filter by country, or by numbers of reviews - i.e. 1, 2, 3, ---, 10, 15, 20, 30, --- , 70. I find this to be very useful. (Then again, this site has a genre filter, which gnosis lacks.)

So, recommandation # 1: Make another dropdown menu where users can filter the top lists if they prefer another number of reviews than the recommended 25

And recommandation # 2: Make a dropdown menu where users can filter the top lists by country, so as to being able to follow their own national scene more closely. If needed to make this possible (it should really be necessary if the system's advanced enough), then change the nationality variable from being linked to bands to being linked to albums. A little job, but lots of fun.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 09:54
I personally fear that this kind of list is tantamount to sending owls to Athens. I am not interested in being told what I already know; what I am looking for are those gems hardly anyone knows. But with only including albums with 25+ ratings we really don't learn anything new, or do we? Unhappy

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 10:02
I'll be happy to implement all the suggestions here on my own website ... of course you'd also have to fill it with ratings first.Big%20smile
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:26
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Remember that the TOP LIST is a tool for newbie to discover top albums. Not for Old-Proggers to discover unknown gems. The home page reviews (and the rss) is the best tool for that now. I am open to suggestion to generate dynamically a list of unknown gems.

So the fonctionalities needed in the TOP LIST are:
  • Ability to select the minimum # of reviews/ratings
  • Abilitiy to select the year (1 or more)
  • Old suggestion: ability to select 1 or more sub-genres
  • Abilitiy to select the country (1 or more)

May I recommed theses ?:
  • Selecting collaborators ratings only
  • Date Range of ratings 
Let's continue the talk and I will work on the implementation of the recommendations, thanks

Max
Prog On !
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:32
Even it is meant for new proggers it is somehow a bit boring to always have the same albums listed. How about building in a random element? Take the top 100 or 200 and randomly pick 25 from them. Even new proggers will know the top 25 after a short while, so a random factor would really be helpful.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:37
Nice suggestion BaldFriede.
Prog On !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 09:53
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Remember that the TOP LIST is a tool for newbie to discover top albums. Not for Old-Proggers to discover unknown gems. The home page reviews (and the rss) is the best tool for that now. I am open to suggestion to generate dynamically a list of unknown gems.

So the fonctionalities needed in the TOP LIST are:
  • Ability to select the minimum # of reviews/ratings
  • Abilitiy to select the year (1 or more)
  • Old suggestion: ability to select 1 or more sub-genres
  • Abilitiy to select the country (1 or more)

May I recommed theses ?:
  • Selecting collaborators ratings only
  • Date Range of ratings 
Let's continue the talk and I will work on the implementation of the recommendations, thanks

Max

Insted of just being able to select a minimum # of ratings, how about simply adding two text fields for minimum # of ratings and maximum # of ratings? You could then simply add a default of 25 for minimum # of ratings, and users could change the range as they see fit.

Of course this list should be useful for newbies ... but there's no reason why it shouldn't also be useful for experienced users. Especially when you don't have the time to build many specialized pages it would make sense to simply add a few more inputs to tweak the results ... and most of them should be optional, in order not to make it too complicated.
Februarist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 12:07
I recently stumbled upon a page called 'metalstorm.ee'. It has a very similar concept like 'progarchives.com', fans are adding  new bands, albums, etc., write reviews or give their ratings.

The reason I'm posting this: that page has got a very neat search engine. You can sort albums by year, ratings, number of votes etc., and you can filter by year (or a span of years), genre(s), album type(s) and so on. And it's very user-friendly.

Maybe their system can give the makers of the (already fantastic) 'progarchives' some inspirations.
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 00:12
Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

Fandango: You can do that yourself, by selecting 2006 on the "Filter year" dropdown menu that you can find on any of the top list entries. Personally, I find it more useful with a 2008 than a 2006 entry on the front page, so I completely endorse that change Wink

When it comes to the question of a 3,5 rating / 25 reviews filter, I have to say that I endorse the idea of a "recommended filter" that can give a notion of what albums should be considered a representative in a top list. However, I think this site should learn from www.gnosis2000.net whose top ratings lists are far more flexible. There, you can in addition to filter by the year, also filter by country, or by numbers of reviews - i.e. 1, 2, 3, ---, 10, 15, 20, 30, --- , 70. I find this to be very useful. (Then again, this site has a genre filter, which gnosis lacks.)

So, recommandation # 1: Make another dropdown menu where users can filter the top lists if they prefer another number of reviews than the recommended 25

And recommandation # 2: Make a dropdown menu where users can filter the top lists by country, so as to being able to follow their own national scene more closely. If needed to make this possible (it should really be necessary if the system's advanced enough), then change the nationality variable from being linked to bands to being linked to albums. A little job, but lots of fun.

I TOTALLY agree with these recommendations. M@X, please understand that MORE options are ALWAYS better! For dinner, would you want only ONE option of what to eat or many? Many should almost always be preferred. Add a Country search menu to go with the year and genre menus that already exist. Give us the option to choose how many maximum reviews (and average rating number, not just 3.5) we want to see. The more choices is much more friendly to all who visit and love the site. TongueClap
Best of 2006 that I've heard:
PFM-Stati Di Immaginazione
Zenit-Surrender (Best "unknown" album)
Oaksenham - Conquest of Pacific
2007:
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
La Torre Del Alchimista - Neo
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 07:55
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

I think the remark about the number of 25 reviews being too hight is correct - but for a different argument than band discover.
This way of doing the top 100 will never be useful to unhide certain great, but less reviewed albums. A good example is the Hectic Watermelon album "The great american road trip", which is considered a great album my many members, yet only two have taken the time to review or even rate it.

Whatever algorithm applied, I think another means should be available to discover new bands. I suggested a random review / random album selector almost two years ago that could serve that purpose.
The demo page for that is still available: http://www.hulshout.nl/randomreview.html

That's a pretty cool tool Angelo but I wonder who is going to sit there flicking through endless random reviews and albums.Also the random review selector also presents the dreaded RWRs...
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 13:25
Working on it ... now

thanks for the suggestions guys Thumbs%20Up
Prog On !
dalt99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 03:50