Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Cinema Show on Genesis’ "Selling..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 13:52

The song's about rape. I've seen it performed a few times. Peter Gabriel and later Phil Collins would explain it before they played the song. I loved it when people would come to hear Colins' solo pop love songs and instead get a date rape ballad.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 17:42
Originally posted by FuzzyDude FuzzyDude wrote:

The song's about rape. I've seen it performed a few times. Peter Gabriel and later Phil Collins would explain it before they played the song. I loved it when people would come to hear Colins' solo pop love songs and instead get a date rape ballad.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 17:58

No, it was more like

Baazetu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 18:42

On the lyrics, Romeo has a date with Juliet to the movies, they are just two contemporanean teenager lovers.

Romeo tries to conquer Juliet 's love with gifts like chocolate surprises while Juliet "dabs her skin with pretty smells" just to attract Romeo's attention. The line "I will make my bed with her tonight" means just the natural sex hunger of all of the normal teenagers. (And some of the adults too.)

So, they go to the cinema and here is where Peter speaks about an ancient mythological character, Tyresias; who was man and then a woman, so he could experiment the both sides of sexual act (remember this is a theory) "a man like the sea I raged"... "a woman like the earth I gave, but there is in fact more earth than sea" which obviously means that in the sexual act, women enjoy more than men.

Ok, Romeo and Juliet are now in the theater ready to fulfill their desires, (I don't think about a rape, but in a romantic night).

The lights went down........ people keeps silence.......

...and now the movie starts, here comes the BEST KEYBOARD SOLO ON THE ROCK HISTORY (my opinion) it seems to be a sci-fi movie. Romeo and Juliet may be now deeply in their erotic desires of the night...

After that, we see Old Tessa in the aisles of a supermarket where England is being sold by the pound, this is the aftermath of the album; the Aisle Of Plenty... but that's another story.

By the way... I made a solo piano arrangement of this song, I love it.

That's all, I'm Baazetu form Mexico, excuse my bad English.

I am the cold trembling of your hands, your wet dreams and your broken reality...
I soak your temper warm, I am the incubus...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 20:21
I always thought the song was about a horny young guy who takes a girl out to the movies and buys her presents, only to get blown off in the end, so he ends up talking to some old homeless drag queen while drowning his sorrows in a beer.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 20:30
  I had a friend who thought Father Tiersias was one of those priests...  
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 20:33
^
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
RUM26 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 01:25
 i think you should tell Ivan_2068 this
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 08:21
Originally posted by Baazetu Baazetu wrote:

...and now the movie starts, here comes the BEST KEYBOARD SOLO ON THE ROCK HISTORY (my opinion) it seems to be a sci-fi movie. Romeo and Juliet maybe now deeply in their erotic desires of the night...

Only your opinion? I think it's time for Kofi Annan to make an UN resolution, stating that it is in fact the best keyboard solo in the universe!

I have always thought about Romeo dating Juliet and then the erotic act begins at the same time as the instrumental second part of the song.
It's good to learn about father Tiresias and reading that poem. I mean, this is what I call lyrics, put in some obscure literal references and make a poem of your own, with some kind of deeper meaning that you have to htink of to understand, not some sh*tty Britney Spears "I was born to make you happy" lyrics.
jojim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 13:21
Today I read an article in the "Neue Zürcher Zeitung" about Edward Heath, the former prime minister of England. He tried to sell big companies that didn't make enough profit. But Heath failed with his efforts. This happened 1973. Perhaps Gabriel, who always had a social character, was influenced by this political event "Selling Enland by the pound".
YES - Close to the edge / UK - UK / GENESIS - The lamb lies down / KING CRIMSON - Discipline / MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular bells / JETHRO TULL - Aqualung / GENTLE GIANT - Three friends / TMO - IMF
Odd24 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 14:10
Most of the times long solos are boring, are used for filling an album and sound like a jam you hear at a jamsession. The second part of the cinema show is one of those examples of how to make a long solo interesting from the beginning 'till the end. This is definitely not a filler. There is enough dynamics and variation in it, not only the keyboard player but also the rest of the band should be complemented in this one. There is no "ego stealing the show alone", it is really a band playing together.
Right down the line
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

The lyrics weren't by Gabriel, they were a more or less direct quotation from T.S. Eliot courtesy of Rutherford and Banks, and yes of course the lyrics are about nudey prod games. Tiresias was a figure in Roman (or possibly Greek) mythology, who lived for 7 years as a man and 7 years as a woman (forget why, but it was probably some god's idea of a joke). That was how he 'crossed between the poles' and gained such a great insight into the human condition - 'for me there's no mystery'.

That's the kind of song you get when a bunch of classically educated public schoolboys form a rock band.

Tiresias was a greek figure. Athena got sick and tired of him being a male chauvinist pig and being insensible to women (outside of f**king them that is) and changed him out as a her to serve him a lesson.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 06:19

But when he changed back he became the blind seer. Think Oedipus Rex- if you know the story.

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 07:03
Originally posted by Starette Starette wrote:

But when he changed back he became the blind seer. Think Oedipus Rex- if you know the story.

Never saw any link from Tiresias to Oedipus, but I do not know the full stories. Oedipus was wriiten by Sophocles as a trilogy including Antigone (his niece) and Creon (his uncle that took over Thebes - Greek city not the Eguptian - after the death of Oedipus's father)  and Chimena, his other niece. I think Tiresias was from Athens.

except maybe in Cinema show

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Norm Cash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 07:49

It's a damn good thing that it includes one of the best keyboard solos around, 'cause on the Seconds Out version the guys really screw up the 12-string guitar passage just as the last section of vocals comes in (about 4:15 in).

/pedantic

/Still probably my favourite album ever

"We did it....you and me! Put him right under the table!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12