Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhere does Michael Romeo play on 01011001?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 08:37
Well, I guess I got the interpretation of "Web of Lies" half-wrong. I know it has to have a negative connotation on the plot, but maybe it could have been done on a different angle or with different lyrics.

When I heard it, I instantly thought that the song was about long-distance relationships. A guy and a girl meeting on something like eharmony or a forum where each of them disclosed very very limited info of each other (Mr.X being a forum nickname for example). So due to the plot, Eternity's plan isn't all peachy: we're building a relationship without meeting, falling in love without contact, talking thru a technological machine and falling in love with an avatar.

You interpretation is of course valid, I didn't think of it that way but it makes sense and it's sadly so true. So, you're saying it also implies to people (not necessarily kids, as the singers imply they're at least 20) living in the same city. Their inability to communicate would be using emails instead of using the phone (but that's also technological) and they would learn about each other by "searching the net" (what does that mean anyways, if anyone puts my name, I'm non-existent ... unless i end up using the "Zitro" when talking and they start talking me in this forum) or do you mean instead of just meeting and communicating how it's supposed to be? However the lyrics "I'm dying for a date" imply that the guy at least would want to meet ASAP outside internet.

Anyways, In my review I did not really bush the story. It's pretty complex and while I said it's a bit cheesy, it's not bad and predicted some would find it interesting. I just think the story is wasted due to subpar lyrics, vocals, and the instrumental part of the album not 'taking me' to this story.

I simply do not enjoy it, but it's an album impossible to hate.

Edited by Zitro - March 05 2008 at 08:44
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 09:18
^ "subpar vocals"? I can't imagine how the vocals could be improved in any way. Jorn Lande is a nearly perfect singer, as are most of the others on the album ... strong voices, perfect technique etc.. 
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 15:47
oh, I wrote it wrong. I said "bad lyrics , vocals" ... I meant that I didn't enjoy the lyrics and I didn't enjoy the vocals, but I meant how the vocals were arranged, not the voice of the singers.

There are great singers around, even the dude from Pain of Salvation takes a big role. I just don't like the vocal arrangements, melodies, and the 'dramatic' way they tend sing, but I can't deny almost every vocalist here is top-notch.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 01:50
^ I even agree with that to a certain extent ... theoretically these alien creatures have lost their emotions so they should sing in a very cold and sterile way. But that would really be boring, so I can understand why Arjen would not implement it that way. But it's true, some of them exaggerate the emotions a bit (particularly Lande and Gildenlow). Most of the others are perfect though IMO (particularly Anneke van Giersbergen and Jonas Renske).
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 22:36
I like Gildenlow's performance quite a lot, but it would be perfect if the instrumentation would move me.

Gildenlow's ranks among my all-time favorite metal vocals, and appears very emotional to me due to the very organic sound of the band. 100110101 sounds very artificial and synthetic, but of course, it fits the concept.

I think a problem I have with this disc is that the concept plays a higher role than the music. The overemphasis on the story (which is definitively complex, as you pointed out connections with other Ayreon albums) brought all the qualities of the album that I pointed out negatively in my review. I just want a story that doesn't sacrifice music quality.

"The Human Equation" was much better at this and while I grew out of it, I still would call it a solid 3-star album that balances more the music and the concept.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 01:51
^ I don't think that music quality is sacrificed here ... rather the reverse. But of course that's for everyone to decide. Smile
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 02:02
I dunno, probably a fast part.

*completely ignores whether this was resolved or not*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12