Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Progress Report: Give us your ideas!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Progress Report: Give us your ideas!
    Posted: March 02 2008 at 02:14

Ladies and gentleman, prepare to be amazed! Hereby announcing “The Progress Report with James and Sebastian,” an internet radio show for all lovers of prog, music analysis, and sharp, witty, rip-roaring fun. (Currently, the show runs live every Friday night at 11:30PM ET and can be accessed online at www.wxvufm.com. If you miss the live version, there’s always re-plays at 1:00 PM EST on www.progulus.com [Sundays] and on www.progrock.com [Mondays]. Of course, check out our Facebook page for archived content.)

Of course, we would love to simply plug the show, but that wouldn't be appropriate for a blog thread! Instead, I would like to quickly post a few of our show ideas and recent themes, and, most importantly, ask for advice on future show content and progressive-rock-related ideas, which can be used for our--or any prog-related--radio show. I hope to keep this thread going weekly… but we need your help. Insert ideas here!

THEME #1

One of our favorite shows: Feb. 15, 2008, the Valentine’s Day edition, when we played all things progressive LIVE. The playlist:

1. King Crimson – Conundrum (NYC, 1995)
  2. Rush – 2112 (Rush in Rio)
  3. Dixie Dregs – Night of the Living Dregs (Night of the Living Dregs)
  4. Jethro Tull – Flute Solo Improvisation (Live: Bursting Out)
  5. Jethro Tull – My God (Nothing is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight)
  6. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Promenade, The Hut of Baba Yaga, The Curse of B.Y., The Hut (reprise) (Pictures at an Exhibition)
  7. Yes – [random Rick Wakeman solo!]
  8. Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia – Guardian Angel (Friday Night in San Francisco)
  9. King Crimson – Lament (NYC, 1974)
  10. Genesis – The Knife

So I guess the question here is: What does the live version do that the studio doesn’t? Several things… (1) TOTAL ORIGINALITY; take the fact that the Dregs track was made just for the album, or, I don’t know- if you can’t get 3 mythic guitar players to form a group together, why not hold them captive on stage and sell tickets for an act that certainly trumps The Lion King on Broadway! (I of course speak of Al, [Brahman], and Paco.) (2) NEWISH TAKES ON OLD STUFF: 2112, condensed (to siphon off extra time for pretentious lyrics). The Knife- with a passionate shot in the arm. (3) [MORE] PERSONALITY: yup, and by that, I mean flute virtuoso, lyrical genius, and personal hero Ian Anderson. The man knows how to grunt. Listen for yourself.

And the other question: Best live track ever? Non-progwise, it’d be tough to deny Stairway to Heaven from How the West Was Won. Maybe Little Ivey by Hendrix? And something from Let it Be, if you consider that live, of course. But whatever… that’s just my bent. What about proggily speaking?

And the other, other question: How, fundamentally, should live music be presented on themed progressive rock radio? I’m for the multi-artist amalgam method. Perhaps single artist, multi-album, Yes, no? But in neither case could you get to play Gentle Giant’s Playing the Fool in its entirety!

THEME #2

Take a band with a super-diverse history (and quality output) like Jethro Tull… and then compare each of a few of their styles with other prevailing examples of that style from elsewhere in prog lore.

The playlist:

Bouncy, folk-ish/medieval-ish:

1. Acres Wild (from Heavy Horses, 1978)
  2. Proclamation (Gentle Giant, The Power and the Glory)

Single-instrument-based instrumental:

1. Bouree (from Stand Up, 1969)
  2. Mood for a Day (Yes, Fragile)

With a synth-conducive atmosphere

1. Flying Colours (from The Broadsword and the Beast, 1981)
  2. Tom Sawyer (Rush, Moving Pictures)

With a sax/ progressive

1. Warchild (title-track, 1974 album)
  2. Fallen Angel (Crimson, Red)

Totally mind-blowingly original and unique

1. Thick as a Brick (part 1)(1972/timeless)

Which raises the interesting question: which pairing of consecutive Tull albums is the best? Thick/ A Passion Play over Songs from the Wood/ Heavy Horses by a hair. Two dramatic concepts spanning over the course of 40+ minute endless novelty, never exhaustive of great melodies and mellotron vibes.

And to rank the sides of those two aforementioned tours de force? Thick (side 1), APP (side 2), APP (side 1), Thick (side 2). What really needs to happen next is a 12 min. live version of APP like they do with Thick. Please, tell me where you found this!

SO, that’s that for two theme examples. Many more to come, in short-summary-form 2-part segments. Oh, and another thing—whatever you do, don’t fail to tune in on April 4th, when we interview epic Floyd cover band Brain Damage!

Edited by MoreBarlow - March 05 2008 at 17:30
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 02:46
Thank you for a very interesting, thought-provoking post!Clap I'll do my best to catch one of your shows, even if, being in Europe, I may have some trouble with the times (and then, I am anything but a night owlLOL....). Anyway, I'd be honoured to provide ideas for your next shows, even though I am well aware that on this forum there are people who are much better than me at offering suggestions.

I would need some time to come up with ideas, but reading about your Jethro Tull feature made me think about another band with a very similar profile - namely, King Crimson. I believe they would lend themselves perfectly to such a treatment. Another possible idea could be to exploit the topic of humour in prog, with examples taken from the likes of Caravan and other Canterbury bands, Zappa and even Jethro Tull. Sorry for not being more detailed, but it's Sunday morning here, and I got a lot to do!Wink
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 22:32
This just makes me think more about how amazing it would be to have my own radio show. Just hope it can happen in college.
butts, lol
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 22:35
Does it have to all be 70s nostalgia prog? Add some post 79 prog in there too!
MoreBarlow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 00:34

Luckily my cohost, Sebastian, is heavily into the prog metal scene. Otherwise, Porcupine Tree can be done. And Dream Theater. And Volta, Echolyn... Sleepytime? Azigza?

Would Return to Forever count as 'nostalgia prog'? Luckily, in leiu of Robert Fripp, Keith Emerson, and Peter Hamill cloning themselves several million times and Dark Side of the Moon being the only album ever to exist and Gryphon (however unfairly) being uber-popular, prog is more than well, one minstrel sitting solitarily in an empty gallery. Or is it?...

We're actually considering devoting our whole next show to a reflection on the similarities of Battles tunes, R2D2, and synchronized cicada clicking. Happy listening!

Any requests, btw, we're totally open arms!Geek
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 10:46
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Does it have to all be 70s nostalgia prog? Add some post 79 prog in there too!
We play progressive music from all years, one show we ran through the entirety of TMV's De-Loused in the Comatorium. You could not get a more interesting analysis on the radio!

We also dedicated half our show to Marillion? Yes we did! Is that not post 79 enough for you?

I do think that we need some more present day prog but there's just so much to choose its hard to get everything in an hour and a half!

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - March 03 2008 at 10:49
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:06

But enough on that. Going back to Theme 2, I would have to say that Flying Colours as a track for me (post 1979, what have you) is very special. It strikes me as redolent of the song White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. Not outstandingly virtuosic instrumentalizing--not intended, of course--but instead really good progression and manipulation of melody and mood. When you hear it for the first time, you feel like the song is taking you to weird uncharted places, even in its relative non-subtlety and simplicity. --At that, maybe something that Ian wasn't able to pull off with a few more complex, yet not really emotionally stirring, tracks on Warchild and Minstrel.

Tom Sawyer, on the other hand (despite being very nostalgia-worthy, post-1979 if I'm not totally mistaken, but whatever), has all the makings of an extremely well-produced, well-constructed, well-instrumentalized (!) track. It has that great quality to be able to carry you away emotionally without being spacy or stark yet, importantly, at the same time, not wear on you as much as similar stuff that is 'emotionally in the moment' (I guess a lot of prog is able to do this... though there is even some stuff that I'd consider well-done, like 'Cup of Wonder', that wears on you a bit as described).

At any rate, Tom Sawyer wins. So does everything else on the album! Subdivisions is another question...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 15:11
Hey everyone just letting you all know, our next broadcast is this Friday night at 11:30pm EST (8:30pm PST). You can stream from http://www.wxvufm.com/

Remember though, if you miss it you can always catch a rerun on http://www.progrock.com on Mondays at 1pm EST or on http://www.progulus.com on Wednesdays at 1pm EST.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 13:16
Hear ye, hear ye!

The Progress Report wants...

....you!

To suggest some great concept albums to be played in their entirety and then analyzed on our show!

It can be an album you love, it can be one you hate, as long as it rocks suggest it! We almost absolutely possitively guarrentee you'll learn something new about the music you listen to!

Albums already done:
Dark Side of the Moon
De-Loused in the Comatorium
In a Glass House
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 13:23

After a short hiatus of live shows, the Progress Report is back in action tonight, at 11:30 EST, on www.wxvufm.com. Tonight’s theme: two artists that have mysteriously achieved less than divine prog status, one from prog metal and another jazz fusion; plus, in light of our absence, a review of the month of March. Feel free to call in, 610-519-7201 – banter welcome at all times!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 14:31
Be sure to tune in next week when we interview Brain Damage, a Pink Floyd cover band! In fact our whole show next week is dedicated to arguably (and I stress the word arguably) the best rock band in the world, Pink Floyd.

You can catch our show at any of these locations:

HTTP://WWW.PROGROCK.COM ON MONDAYS AT 1:00PM EST (10AM PST)

AND ALSO ON

HTTP://WWW.PROGPOSITIVITY.COM ON TUESDAYS AT 8:00PM EST

AND ALSO ON

HTTP://WWW.PROGPALACERADIO.COM ON THURSDAYS AT 7:00PM EST

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - April 10 2008 at 17:21
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 01:59

On Friday, April 4th, we brought into the studio Pink Floyd tribute juggernaut Brain Damage for an epic conversation brimming with progressive rock revelry. In the spirit of Brain Damage, our show itself was a wide-ranging tribute to Floyd.

The playlist:

1. PF – See Emily Play (single)
  2. Brain Damage – Fearless (from Floyd’s Meddle)
  3. Brain Damage – Shine on You Crazy Diamond, part 1
  4. PF – Summer ’68 (Atom Heart Mother)
  5. Syd Barrett – Octopus (The Madcap Laughs)
  6. David Gilmour – This Heaven (On an Island)
  7. PF – The Gold It’s in the… (Obscured by Clouds)
  8. Hawkwind – Assault and Battery, part 1 (Warrior on the Edge of Time)
  9. Camel – Docks (Nude)
  10.  Roger Waters – 4:41 A.M. (Sexual Revolution) (The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking)
  11. PF – Not Now John (The Final Cut)
  12. PF – Bring the Boys Back Home (The Wall)

You can catch the show on the stations listed above during this coming week or archived on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5375198307).

Tune in next week (Friday, 11:30 PM EST, www.wxvufm.com) for a chance to win tickets to Brain Damage’s April 19th show in Phoenixville, PA!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 12:14

So yeah, quick note, we've had some recording problems and our Pink Floyd show is still in post-production. However I've extracted the interview section for your pleasure. You can download it here: Brain Damage Interview.

Also, This week was an anomaly for The Progress Report. We went into studio and picked out our playlist 5 minutes before going on air. And then, with no prior preparation, we analysed the music beyond your wildest expectations! Its a great show, so be sure to tune in to either ProgRock.com, ProgPositivity, or ProgPalaceRadio.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 04:33

Hey all, we've got some really great shows and some really alright shows in our archives, and just thought we'd share them all with you. Reason being that The Progress Report is taking off for the summer. We're gonna be having some new shows every now and then so don't worry, but its doubtful it'll be weekly. We're still going to be broadcasting on the above stated internet radio stations every week so be sure to keep tuning in!

SPRING 08:
In honor of March Madness, and in honor of great music, we have pitted six bands together in an objective music analysis. The winner moves on to the next round and the loser is deleted from the playlist.

4/25/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OEHPAT1

Once again we delivered the goods! This week we played the entire album: In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 by Coheed and Cambria. What? Not the 70s? Not prog you say? Well, we'll see about that!

4/18/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y2AZXPLV

Ello ello ello! This week was an anomaly for The Progress Report. We went into studio and picked out our playlist 5 minutes before going on air. And then, with no prior preparation, we analysed the music beyond your wildest expectations! Its a great show.

4/11/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HATQBZ00

This week we have an extended interview with Brain Damage, a Pink Floyd tribute band. In fact, the entire show was dedicated to the Floyd, one of prog and psychedelic rock's greatest bands.

4/4/08 (interview only): http://www.wxvufm.com/archives/Brain%20Damage%20Interview.mp3

Its been over a month since our last show, therefore we present an extra long show where we showcase two obscure groups: Jean-Luc Ponte and Anekdoten. Discussion includes riveting musical topics and skits about March!

3/28/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F0MYTNM2

This week we play In a Glass House by Gentle Giant in its entirety. We accompany it with amazingly informative commentary.

2/22/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NTWYU317

In celebration of Valentine's Day, we dedicate our show to all those in love! We regale you with interesting stories related to this holiday. We also play amazing live tracks from the golden era of prog!

2/15/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CFJ1JYZ1

This show unfortunately is James-less. He couldn't make it to the studio. To make up for the fact, this week I present a tribute to Genesis' career, playing songs from across their entire progressive rock catalogue.

2/08/08: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NTRJ3FQA

The show this week aims to expand your musical knowledge. We have each personally hand selected two underrated bands which we think are worth giving a listen to...or two. Unfortunately, once again we experienced recording problems and only the second half is preserved.

2/01/08 (second half only): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JECCTSRO

We are back and better than before...almost...At any rate this week we played The Mars Volta's debut album De-Loused in the Comatorium in its entirety. Unfortunately, we had recording troubles again so only the first half is available.

1/25/08 (first half only): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=98SZZDBQ

A brand new semester! Another opportunity to light up the world with our talents. Unfortunately, we were not able to record our show.

1/18/08: (no recording)

FALL 07:
This week we brought down all the boundries! The set list includes half jazz fusion and half prog-metal. We also brought in an expert on women to answer some of our questions on the more complicated sex. Special guest Steve Irwin joins and I begin my campaign to run for President of these United States!

12/07/07: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=48QKCM1K

This week's show was hit by some technical difficulties aka we couldn't get the network to broadcast our show. However we have recorded it. This week Jethro Tull is compared to the music from the rest of the universe. There's also an interview with Ian Anderson.

11/30/07: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0Z8U78EA

In this broadcast we play all of Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and accompany it with riveting commentary. We also interview Jesus!

11/16/07: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3DQMUNJY

Show number three! We just keep getting better. We have an interview with Jon Anderson of Yes....and that's about it actually.

11/09/07: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E9L7BMAX

I have uploaded the second show. We're improving methinks. This is the entire broadcast, a whole hour and a half of your two favorite DJs. Sit back and relax.

11/02/07: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NU3KFGY2

Our first broadcast turned out pretty well I think. Thanks to everyone who listened. For those of you who missed it, I have uploaded the show for your enjoyment. Its only the second half though.

10/26/07 (second half only): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7STPON6K

Take your pick and tell us what you think.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic