Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Wrong Object - Stories From The Shed (2008)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Wrong Object - Stories From The Shed (2008)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Wrong Object - Stories From The Shed (2008)
    Posted: March 11 2008 at 17:03
Wrong Object, The 

Biography taken from the band's website:

Blending the cosmic energies of Nu-Jazz with modern rock sensibilities and live electronic devices, the music of the Wrong Object is influenced by a vast array of artists ranging from Canterbury Scene prog rock à la Soft Machine and Gong to Béla Bartok, Squarepusher, Aka Moon, Charlie Mingus, Sonic Youth and Frank Zappa. While their repertoire contains mainly original compositions, they also play a special set of Zappa covers on demand. Since its creation in early 2002, The Wrong Object has played some seventy gigs in various venues ranging from small pubs to big festivals. Some of them were augmented by guest performances by the likes of Ed Mann, Elton Dean, Harry Beckett, Annie Whitehead, Alex Maguire, Robin Verheyen, Marc Mangen, Domguè, Marco Maurizi, Nicolas Ankoudinoff, Clementine Gasser, Frogg Café, Jaap Blonk, and pataphysician-poet-vocalist Andrew Norris, whose work with the band culminated in a show held at the Galerie 2016 in Brussels on the occasion of Serge Vandercam's 79th birthday. After a successful mini-tour of the UK, they performed at the 2004 “Zappanale” festival where they played a special gig featuring Zappa's legendary percussionist Ed Mann, with whom they also hope to play a few more dates soon. The Wrong Object have since then played in many different countries (including England, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Czekia, Slovakia, Luxembourg and even Belgium) and their live recordings have been favorably reviewed and aired by radio stations across the globe. They will continue to perform in pubs, clubs and theaters next year and will play Summer festivals abroad. Their side projects “Elton Dean Meets The Wrong Object” and “The Wrong Object feat. Annie Whitehead and Harry Beckett” were documented by two CD releases issued by Moonjune Records and Voiceprint. Their new studio album, "Stories from the Shed" (Moonjune Records), was released in December 2007 in Europe and in January 2008 in the USA.

Review from Sea Of Tranquility by Pete Pardo:
http://tinyurl.com/2chr8l

Wrong Object, The: Stories From the Shed

MoonJune Records have done a great job over the years bringing some excellent progressive jazz releases to our attention, and they are at it again with the latest from Belgium's The Wrong Object, titled Stories From the Shed. This five piece ensemble has been rather busy in recent memory, as they follow up 2007's The Unbelievabel Truth and Platform One (yes, that's three releases now in less than a year!) with this 'live in the studio' recording that features no guest stars this time around, just the five members of the band. From start to finish, it's impressive stuff, daring jazz-fusion with plenty of rock edge, as this former Frank Zappa tribute group show that they also excel at writing their own compositions that are memorable and instrumentally appealing. Listen to bassist Damien Polard knocking out a blistering, distorted solo on the otherwise soaring "Lifting Belly", which in itself is a great vehicle for the sax & trumpet melodies of Fred Deplancq & Jean-Paul Estievenart. There's also the complex & quirky jazz of "Malign Siesta", with drummer Laurent Delchambre's manic stick work keeping in perfect synch with the intricate horn lines. You can hear the influece of Zappa, Robert Fripp, and Terje Rypdal in the playing of guitarist Michel Delville, his solos at the end of this piece literally exploding through the mix with plenty of fire and passion. More of his distorted rumblings can also be heard on the energetic "15/05", a real jazz burner that features plenty of tight playing from the whole group. You might detect a slight hint of Waka Jawaka era Zappa by way of Weather Report's Heavy Weather on the intense "Strangler Fig", while the near 7-minute "Saturn" is an exploratory journey into melodic free-jazz (if that is possible!) with Delville doing his most convincing Zappa guitar solo on the album, sounding impossibly close to Frank's tone & phrasing on the Joe's Garage album. Delplancq's squonking sax bursts here also need to be mentioned, adding a manic fury to this otherwise somber song. The CD ends with the two-part, 10 minute epic "The Unbelievable Truth-Part 1 & II", which features plenty of blowing from the whole band and the most proggy vibe on the whole album. Dalville's wah-wah guitar solo on this one will send chills up your spine!

Stories From the Shed is one fascinating tale that needs to be taken out of the confines of the 'shed' and told to the masses. The Wrong Object have unveiled a real corker of a jazz album here, fiery on all levels featuring chops galore, but more importantly, tons of memorable melodies and unbelievable arrangements. Jazz freaks and instrumental prog lovers need to get their hands on this at all costs!!

Track Listing

1. Sonic Riot at the Holy Palate
  2. 15/05
  3. Sheepwrecked
  4. Acquiring the Taste
  5. Lifting Belly
  6. Malign Siesta
  7. Theresa's Dress
  8. Rippling Stones
  9. Theresa's Dress - Reprise
  10. Strangler Fig
  11. Waves and Radiations
  12. Saturn
  13. The Unbelievable Truth - Part I
  14. The Unbelievable Truth - Part II

Added: February 5th 2008
Reviewer: Pete Pardo
Score:
Related Link: Band's My Space Page
Hits: 225
Language: english

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 21:48

%5b196ow.jpg%5d

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 04:20
Sounds interesting avestin, as always. Thanks for the info.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 07:42
Good call, thanks A.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 23:15
Hope you like it!

For those still not convinced, here are some more reviews:

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 23:45
Really Cool album. Just recieved it recently so I haven;t had time to listen to it alot, but what I remember was great.

I second/thrid/fourth/whatever number we're on the rec.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 12:24
Upon reading the title I thought it was the newest album from Jim Garten.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 15:54
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Upon reading the title I thought it was the newest album from Jim Garten.

LOL

Post Reply Post Reply