Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMind Split Effect (Prog Metal/Heavy Prog)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mind Split Effect (Prog Metal/Heavy Prog)
    Posted: March 13 2008 at 15:55

I am listening to the new EP, Dreaming, from a band from France named Mind Split Effect that was released in November 2007.  .  All 6 tracks from their EP are available for listening on their MySpace page.  Their influences are a who's who of prog rock and prog metal including DT, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Ark, etc.  Definitely a fit for the site and I think it would be either Heavy Prog or Prog Metal.  Please give them a listen and your consideration for addition to PA.  Thank you.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 16:04
this band is Alternative but not Progressive

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 16:23
I respectively disagree.  I feel that they are alternative and progressive ala Tool, Porcupine Tree, Pure Reason Revolution. Which are all similar bands that are here on PA? 
ComfortablyNumb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I respectively disagree.  I feel that they are alternative and progressive ala Tool, Porcupine Tree, Pure Reason Revolution. Which are all similar bands that are here on PA? 

I'm with you RushFan, which doesn't mean squat I'm sureLOL, they definitely have similarities to the band examples you gave.  Hopefully they'll be considered at some point.  If not, they're a cool find nonetheless.

CN

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 00:12
Hi Scott-- as per our discussion in the Collab Zone and after re-listening to MSE, I'm reasonably convinced they are strongly what one may call Alternative, and not Prog Rock
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 00:22
Hi David, Thank you for giving them a second listen.  Given this is (I believe) their debut, they're pretty early in their career.  I guess that it will be interesting to see what direction they go with future releases. Take care. Scott
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 00:24
sure man, no problem  Smile

MrBlonde View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 07:40
Hello!

I'm Maxime Defrancq, the composer (and guitarist) and the (sadly) only active member of Mind Split Effect.
It's really pleasant to see that you know the band! You know i'm seventeen, i recorded it with almost nothing and I tried to make my best, so to see that the reference in progressive music has heard about me (at least on the forum!) that's pretty cool (i know the website since 5years)

About what genre of music i do, I'm really influenced by all the bands you told, but my "very prog side", i mean my Dream Theater period ;),  declines. When i wrote Dreaming, i was influenced not only by prog music. So the mix between whose i was influenced gave this result, and i agree on an Alternative/Progressive music, but more alternative than prog. I'm not really in the complex bars (13/18... even 7/8), and it's not really technical music.

I'm now writing the next EP,  I finished recording the first track, and I think i'm really more alternative on this one. But i keep a lot of prog elements.
I'm really influenced by Opeth, especially Damnation, that' s really similar in the construction (Windowpane for example), so If you think Damnation is prog, you'll find the next MSE Ep prog ;).

Take care and thank you! See you with the next one ;).

Maxime.

Carpe Diem
 Post Reply Post Reply