Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson videos and MP3s no longer allowed !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson videos and MP3s no longer allowed !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Well, with the advent of websites like last.fm, myspace.com and youtube.com the situation has changed a lot compared to two years ago. For every major band - and most recent small/obscure bands - you can access high quality samples, there's no need for the archives to provide them. Of course I know why they're still here - to attract visitors and boost ad revenue.Evil%20Smile

Last FM have been told to remove KC tracks as well.Wink
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 16:52
^ it must be Mr. Fripp himself then ... he can join the club of internet-hating musicians, along with Metallica and Prince.LOL
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 17:28

^ it must be Mr. Fripp himself then ... he can join the club of internet-hating musicians, along with Metallica and Prince.LOL

I read his blog. He also stopped further production of the "Inside Story" DVD about KC.

At the end of the day he's protecting and maximising his earnings. Good for him.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 17:30
^ well, he's not maximising his earnings by the crappy selection of live recordings available on their myspace page ... 
Salvo_ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 21:16
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Fripp would be a whiny bitch, musicians from the '70s don't seem to understand the internet at all, especially considering some of the odd, egocentric stuff that he's pulled in the past (like going on tour with every player but him illuminated). Oh well, just another reason to dislike KC. ;-)
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 22:49
As a counter measure i will no longer advocate KC's music, instead i will delete my reviewsEvil%20Smile and replace them with 1 star ratings, that will teach him (and lower my trustability, so i guess I will not)

Edited by tuxon - March 29 2008 at 22:50
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 05:11

^ well, he's not maximising his earnings by the crappy selection of live recordings available on their myspace page ... 

You took the words right out of my mouth.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 10:04
WHAT??  You mean no one was paying money to listen to a song??  Someone must be punished for this!!

Would Fripp have asked that his songs not be played on the radio?

Apparently if the RIAA had their way, when you buy a CD you would have to pay them royalties for every single time you listen to any song.  You don't buy a recording of the music, you buy temporary rights to listen to the music.  But of course, if anyone else can hear it, that constitutes public performance, so you either have to pay extra or listen alone in a dark soundproof room.

This is absolutely out of hand.  IT IS 2008, PEOPLE!  If you haven't realized by now that allowing people to listen to something before they buy it might make them more inclined to actually purchase it instead of passing over it entirely, then I don't know what to tell you. 

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 10:22
Maybe KC should request all stores and online retailers pull their CDs as well.  Then they can ask those of us with CDs to destroy them.  Once all the King Crimson music in the world has been destroyed, it can't possibly be pirated!  Take that freeloaders!  
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 06:51
Fripp what are you doing!?

Im going to hide my kc albums in the attic before my house gets raided by his goons.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 08:04
Am I the only one who's totally on Fripp's side here? To be frank I don't understand why any artist would allow these "free" MP3's and "free" videos. If you take a look at Youtube, for example, there's a huge amount of video clips, full movies even, that the guy who posted them has absolutely no rights to distribute. I believe Youtube is meant for videos that you've made yourself (out of copyright-free material), and it makes no sense to me that the administrators of the site won't remove an illegally uploaded video when they see one (and if they ever visit their site they must see thousands of them). What's the difference of uploading a piece of film and giving away free copies of it on the street?

The same goes for MP3's. Do Progarchives, for example, have a permission from all these artists to have their songs available here? If not, I think they really should have. Sure, the MP3's are here for demonstration purposes, but isn't it the artist who should have the right to decide whether he wants to give his music away for demonstration purposes or not? I understand it's nice to have an opportunity to listen to an album before buying it, but is it really so much more troublesome to listen to it at the store where you're going to buy it?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 08:52
I can understand RF, but the whole issue is akin to trying to close Pandora's Box.
Won't do his reputation as an intellectual much good, but will boost him as an egocentric (crank).

Edited by npjnpj - January 07 2009 at 08:54
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 09:00
I love fripp music, but he is not promoting his works well, in this case.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 09:39

Of course Robert Fripp has the right to disallow the free distibution of his music. But if I were in his place, I should allow a handful of songs to be distributed freely as an attempt to get some potential listeners interested.

I, for instance, became more interested in KC thanks to the MP3's on PA.

Edited by someone_else - January 07 2009 at 09:40
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 13:05
I really don't see how having free streaming MP3s on progarchives or last.fm is going to affect him in any way. KC's discography still sells quite well. I've seen almost all of their albums in every Best Buy or Borders that I've walked into plus many tons of their work sold in used stores too. Almost every show on the 40th anniversary tour was soldout and I'm sure Fripp brings in enough revenue for the many collaborations he's done.

Prog may not be a mainstream genre anymore but it has a very dedicated fanbase who is willing to shell out the money for the music.

Fripp does have the right to say where KC's music is played even if many of us do not agree with it. I personally think he's taken it a bit too far but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If I were in his shoes I would just be happy that people are enjoying my music in general.

I guess this purge of free MP3s doesn't extend to live recordings because there are a few live King Crimson shows available to be streamed over on Wolfgang's Vault.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 13:36
It's his right but it's short of sight.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 07 2009 at 13:58
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:35
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Am I the only one who's totally on Fripp's side here? To be frank I don't understand why any artist would allow these "free" MP3's and "free" videos. If you take a look at Youtube, for example, there's a huge amount of video clips, full movies even, that the guy who posted them has absolutely no rights to distribute. I believe Youtube is meant for videos that you've made yourself (out of copyright-free material), and it makes no sense to me that the administrators of the site won't remove an illegally uploaded video when they see one (and if they ever visit their site they must see thousands of them). What's the difference of uploading a piece of film and giving away free copies of it on the street?

The same goes for MP3's. Do Progarchives, for example, have a permission from all these artists to have their songs available here? If not, I think they really should have. Sure, the MP3's are here for demonstration purposes, but isn't it the artist who should have the right to decide whether he wants to give his music away for demonstration purposes or not? I understand it's nice to have an opportunity to listen to an album before buying it, but is it really so much more troublesome to listen to it at the store where you're going to buy it?
They do have permission, for most of them at least.

How can you listen to at the store? Do you really not understand why any artist would have more than 30 second samples freely available?
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:39
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

How can you listen to at the store? Do you really not understand why any artist would have more than 30 second samples freely available?

I meant the kind of stores that you walk into, take the album in your hand and say to the person behind the counter that you want to hear it. Then he takes the record out of the sleeve and puts it on this device they call the "record player", and then it starts to spin and while it spins it makes a sound. Tongue
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:41

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I meant the kind of stores that you walk into, take the album in your hand and say to the person behind the counter that you want to hear it. Then he takes the record out of the sleeve and puts it on this device they call the "record player", and then it starts to spin and while it spins it makes a sound. Tongue
Those must have gone down with Atlantis.

And even if they did exist anymore, yes, that is a lot more effort than listening to it on the internet.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 22:04

I'm with Micky in this one, probably Mr Fripp doesn't need us because he's already famous, but he's getting propaganda for free and not even allows a stream.

I recommend to remove his bio, reviews, photos, album covers, etc,. just mention King Crimson was a pioneer band.

If that's what he wants, lets give it to him.

BTW: Canadian law admits as fair deal the use of samples or copyrighted material for Critic and review purpose, but if he doesn't want, well, who are we to force him.

As a fact the Canadian Supreme Court has reinforced this law:

The Supreme Court unanimously held

that the Law Society’s dealings with the

publishers’ works were “research-based

and fair” and qualified under the fair dealing

exception in the Canadian Copyright

Act. The fair dealing exception applies to

those persons who establish that their

dealings with a copyright work are fair and

for the purpose of research, private study,

review or criticism.

And here is the text of the law

Copyright Board of Canada - Commission du droit dauteur du Canada
Exceptions

Fair Dealing

29.1 Fair dealing for the purpose of criticism or review does not infringe copyright if the following are mentioned:

(a) the source; and

(b) if given in the source, the name of the

(i) author, in the case of a work,

(ii) performer, in the case of a performer's performance,

(iii) maker, in the case of a sound recording, or

(iv) broadcaster, in the case of a communication signal.

1997, c. 24, s. 18.

This is not Youtube, this is a site for REVIEW AND CITICS created under the Canadian law.

Of course better check with a Canadian Lawyer, I don't have a license for this country, but can understand legal texts.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 07 2009 at 22:17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>