Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJudas Priest (Prog Metal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 05:05
Originally posted by Squonkman Squonkman wrote:

Judas Priest as a prog band???? You have to be kidding. NO. That's absurd and ridiculous.
And therein lies the very crux of the problem with this way too generous profusion of "prog metal" bands on this site. Virtually anyone who ever performed a 3 chord riff and growled will be listed on here soon.

I think the problem lies with blind opinions such as this.

You could at least make your argument more direct and support your opinion with some reasoning rather than hurling around terms like "absurd" and "ridiculous".

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Proto-prog metal would be Prog related, as it is related to prog metal.

personally i think Judas prieast aren't prog, and I wouldn't consider them for prog-related also, but if it's really the case they are proto-prog metal, I think they are elidgable for Prog-Related.

of course the problem with that is it basically means that Metallica again come into the equation as they can surely be considered proto prog.

my personal opinion is Judas Priest is an early metal band, pionering the metal genre, and by doing so paving the way for proto-prog metal (Iron Maiden and Metallica and 80's glam metal), so for me it's a no, but if their influence on prog-metal is really significant (which i can't judge, because i like metal, but hardly ever listen to progressive metal) it can be considered for Prog Related.

I fail to see any reason for NOT including Priest in Prog-Related, as I think they did more than pave they way for Prog Metal, they opened the doors and stretched the boundaries. OK, like Metallica they over-simplified after a few albums - but so did Genesis Wink

Check out "One for the Road" (from "Rocka Rolla"); Rodger Bain (Black Sabbath)'s production is so much better than on "Sad Wings" - and the song happens to be in 5/4 for much of it; http://youtube.com/watch?v=3zJ_J0NQKaM&feature=related - OK, it's pretty much a single riff with a few stops and starts, but it's hardly standard hard rock/metal.

I also fail, as I always have, to see why Metallica are not Prog Metal, when they have released no less than 3 Prog Metal albums, one of which is definitive of the genre.

But that's another discussion entirely.

Edited by Certif1ed - April 23 2008 at 05:14
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 12:31
Long thread, and I've barely skimmed it...

From a compositional/ structural viewpoint, and approach to making music, just how similar is Judas Priest to Prog?  How influenced was it by progressive rock?  Do they blend genres and take an adventurous approach to making music?  I seem to remember Judas Priest being considered quite groundbreaking and experimental in the early 80's, but since I wasn't into metal, I don't know.

I don't think paving the way for progressive metal should be enough (there is no proto-metal category), or even expanding musical horizons (being progressive).  I think it should similar attributes particular to progressive rock and metal.  I just wonder if this was more influential to metal generally than to Progressive Metal specifically.

I don't know about later albums or their career, but here's a little article I just found (I'll reprint an excerpt...)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/5204515/review/6054044/metalogy

Quote When Ozzy Osbourne left Black Sabbath in 1979, the way was clear for a new heavyweight champ of metal. Enter Judas Priest (like Sabbath, from Birmingham, England), a quintet that had up to then released four anemically produced albums. That all changed with 1979's Hell Bent for Leather, a record that effectively removed metal's Seventies-era prog-rock flab. Songs such as the title track were compact, radio-ready blasts of fury that set the stage for every Eighties band from Motley Crue to Metallica.

Edited by Logan - April 23 2008 at 12:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 12:50
It would be weird seeing "Turbo" here. Although it would be even weirder and more sickening to see "St. Anger"...
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 15:34
Metallica's possible inclusion was decided by M@x,and he very emphatically said NO.So any dicussion about the addition of Metallica is pointless,because it will never happen.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Metallica's possible inclusion was decided by M@x,and he very emphatically said NO.So any dicussion about the addition of Metallica is pointless,because it will never happen.

We're discussing Judas Priest in this thread...Wink

...and even M@X will have to see the truth in Metallica eventually. Tongue

Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

It would be weird seeing "Turbo" here. Although it would be even weirder and more sickening to see "St. Anger"...

But not quite as sickening as, say "We Can't Dance", "90125", "Love Beach", "With The Beatles" or a great many other LESS progressive albums Confused

Edited by Certif1ed - April 23 2008 at 16:11
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 12:12

In order to keep this thread up to date, I just wanted to relay a message from Easy Livin' that the Admin team has voted to reject Judas Priest for Prog Related

I still hope that the Prog Metal or Heavy Prog genre teams might be willing to consider them based on their first 3 albums since that is the basis of my suggestion for their inclusion, but if not, then life goes on. Wink
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 15:24
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

But not quite as sickening as, say "We Can't Dance", "90125", "Love Beach", "With The Beatles" or a great many other LESS progressive albums Confused

I beg to differ, as St. Anger is 1000x worse than any of those albums.

And thanks to this thread, I have "Breaking the Law" stuck in my head...
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 16:52
^ at least that's better than "un-i-ted, un-i-ted, un-ITED we stand..."
Squonkman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 17:29

the antidote to that is Bobby Fuller's " I Fought the Law and the Law Won"
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 20:02
For  those who are for JP's inclusion and consider the first 3 albums as being justification for PA, does the fact that Rocka Rolla & Sin After Sin suck big time have any bearing on arguing against them. Sad Wings of Destiny ranks up there with the great metal albums released by their contemporaries Sabbath, Purple and others. But the 1st & 3rd are mostly filler.
Indeed, some reviews that I read before buying ( and later trading back) Rocka Rolla seem to consider it more blues based, in the way that the first Sabbath album was.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 23:38
Maybe a little historical context here...I can't imagine any JP fan way back when even remotely considering them anywhere near progressive.  They were pure metal, to the point that my girlfriend at the time went near-catatonic upon hearing their version of Diamonds and Rust.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 01:28
I hope M@x one day open his eyes and forgets about the "metal" in "Metallica" and gives his OK..Tongue

Npw, about The Priest, I would accept an inclusion in Prog-related. But pure logic would tell me: "hell, why are they here and not....". Ok, whatever. I would support that.

But for prog-metal, I'd never give my vote. Never. They may have helped create and shape the thing, but they didn't PLAY the thing... Proto-prog-metal at best...
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 03:13

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I beg to differ, as St. Anger is 1000x worse than any of those albums.

Hmm - personally I'd rather have St Anger on loop than be subjected to anything on the first 3. "With The Beatles" is actually a great album, but I would question it's prog credentials...

...and we're NOT talking about Metallica Tongue
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 16:38
IMO even the first three albums of Judas Priest do not justify their inclusion as prog-metal or prog-related because even considering they have some technically demanding songs in these albums, the major part of them are just good old 70's hard rock.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I hope M@x one day open his eyes and forgets about the "metal" in "Metallica" and gives his OK..Tongue

Be assured, M@x has the openest eyes you'll ever come across!Sleepy
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 00:38
I would say no for Judas Priest's inclusion. A great band, highly influential, but to my mind not prog enough to qualify for PA.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 11:11
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Maybe a little historical context here...I can't imagine any JP fan way back when even remotely considering them anywhere near progressive.  They were pure metal, to the point that my girlfriend at the time went near-catatonic upon hearing their version of Diamonds and Rust.

I thought their version WAS near catatonic. Yer prototypical ham handed caveman grace. And one wonders why it didn't become a big hit such as Nazareth had with Joni Mitchell's This Flight Tonight (supposedly the inspiration for JP's cover of Joan Baez)
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 14:10
In case anyone is interested Judas Priest's new album Nostradamus will be released on June 17th.

They have the title track, Nostradamus, available for free download on their MySpace page.  It has that classic Judas Priest sound.  A bit of strings at the beginning and end, but mostly just straight ahead Judas Priest metal with the double guitar attack and the relentless drumming. 

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 14:47
i think that the3 first albums are woth to reach PA

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 16:59
Just to renew this debate.  I haven't heard the new album yet, but this newly created thread does suggest that the new album is Prog Metal.  I am curious to see what others think and have to say about the new album.  It doesn't come out until tomorrow here, but I suspect that I will pick it up shortly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>