Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - prog bounds (some thought involved!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedprog bounds (some thought involved!)

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 06 2005
Location: popupControl();
Status: Offline
Points: 7606
Direct Link To This Post Topic: prog bounds (some thought involved!)
    Posted: March 15 2008 at 17:29
Boundaries change in retrospect, allowing us to redefine past bands as "prog". It's just as well we do, because other nebulous clusters like "indie" and "rock" do just the same and they have a little more support. Still, as much as they do good, free work, I don't think the progarchives staff have given equal time to other styles of music with the potential to impinge on progressive rock. It might be that the word rock itself is stigmatic, here, but now's the time that almost anything can be defined as such.

Let's indulge in a little exercise...

Imagine all bands mapped as stars in a circular system. As sane heliocentrists we place King Crimson, Soft Machine, Yes et all right in the very centre. From there you may spread out in different directions clusters of bands related to genres like hard rock (where we can plot every other Englishman and Scot who wore their hair long in the '70s), techno, jazz, batcave and everything else that ever was, closer to the centre based on your reckoning of their relation to our genre - if you find blues more commonly allied with prog than disco is, then draw blues a short distance north and disco on the southern outskirts of the galaxy. Once you've mentally assigned as much music as you can, trace an estimated border around the bands listed on progarchives (consigning those further adrift to a sort of musical Oort cloud) - is the shape of your border more akin to a ring, a diamond or a lens? More plainly, has equal or inequal attention been given to these differing types of music?

I've drawn a lens - at its points we have metal and the avant-garde, while at its deepest curves we have electronics and post-punk. Notably this lens includes outliers like Slapp Happy and bands such as Kamelot while excluding Autechre and DNA. Muse are admitted but Sun City Girls shunned. Miles and Herbie are also omitted...

Does this just reflect that some genre teams are more active than others? I know that the RIO threads rarely stop moving and are always filled with thoughtful suggestions - perhaps this, and the fact that there's such a wide range of avant-garde music to choose from means this well will never run dry. As for the metal side, well, how can I put this delicately? Metal is very structured, powerful music, having few changeable parts - often, there isn't as much notable difference between the vanilla and the progressive in heavy music as there can be found between, say, Genesis and a more primitive rock band. As these teams are as active as the genres they represent, could they be doing the right thing but overshadowing music from prog genres we could call relics of past eras such as the largely defunct Canterbury scene?

Whereas on a site populated by many fans of bygone prog and hard rock, electronica and punk-influenced music is a *really* hard sell. We don't have teams for these as such; electronic prog personnel tend to busy themselves with textural, droning, psychedelic music - good work is being done, but electronic music's a goldmine and we aren't mining every vein. Now, Cardiacs and the Mars Volta *are* on progarchives, and more than a few punk-influenced post/math rock bands are present too, so if there was such thing as a prog-punk team it would have slightly more credibility because of these inclusions. Allowing in artists we all know are experimental and different like The Bad Seeds or Bjork would increase the site's standing within a greater audience - the same reason we archive bands such as Sabbath and Maiden.

If you've played along with this rather vague mental exercise and humoured the rant, let me know what shape you have drawn, and which heavenly bodies orbit its extremities!

-----

(if you want to have an argument about this post, don't do it here, because I'm not trying to start a fight; message me or respond on the copy of this article on my blog instead.)


Edited by laplace - March 15 2008 at 17:29
Back to Top
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Joined: July 29 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Status: Offline
Points: 22557
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 17:48
Lappy, I'll readily admit I haven't read your post properly, and now it is a bit late for me to answer in a coherent way (I'd hate to lose credibility for goodLOL). However, you do make some very good points, with which I find myself in agreement.

Though you know me as a hard rock/heavy metal fan, I hope you also know I am open to exploring virtually anything in music. Therefore, I share your point of view that the addition policy is definitely more biased in one sense. Bands or artists that  have no recognisable ties with 'traditional' prog are shunned, even if they are objectively much more progressive than many of those who are added. I have noticed that there is a definite bias against bands associated with 'new wave' (whatever that may mean)  - which made the addition of Japan highly controversial, and makes people foam at the mouth at the very mention of Talking Heads.

More coming tomorrow... Almost time for bed here!Wink
Back to Top
ES335 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: December 10 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 168
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 23:18

My (mental) picture is a vortex. You mentioned one band in orbit. The Grateful Dead and Yoko Ono are two heavenly bodies also in orbit. More on why tomorrow. It isn't as late here as it is in Italy, where it's early now, but it's late enough.

Bible-thumping heavyweight evangelistic boxing kangaroo
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Europe
Status: Online
Points: 37292
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 07:44
Clap Excellent analogy Laplace, though I think that searching the Oort Cloud may be to vague an undertaking, after all, the only objects that cross the planetary plane from there are comets that shine briefly then depart (Prog Related perhaps). We should be looking for bands closer to "home": Kuiper Belt objects if you prefer, (like Pluto, Sedna and Quaoar) - one example of which that immediately springs to mind would be After The Fire - a band that 99.9% of people would associate with 80s new-wave synth-pop (of hits such as One Rule for You and Der Kommissar), but who began life as a post-Genesis (Neo)Symphonic band in the late 70s.
 
"You know what uranium is, right?
It’s this thing called nuclear weapons.
And other things.
Like lots of things are done with uranium.
Including some bad things.
But nobody talks about that."
Back to Top
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 06 2005
Location: popupControl();
Status: Offline
Points: 7606
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 18:29
The "Kuiper Belt" was actually what I was thinking of when I wrote that part. o:)

I do hope that people will make an effort to respond. =)
Back to Top
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 30 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1882
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 19:56

wow.... I agree!!!!

I got a kind of line, mainly staying in psyche influenced rock and hard rock, with a few (seemingly) random outskirts in other genres. seems like alot of electronica, hip-hop, indie, alternative, punk, funk etc. could be added (of course only the intelligent parts of each genre)
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 20:36
Really some bands/genres are being forgotten here. Daft Punk, for example, goes proggy on their 2 last albuns (dyscovery and humand after all), spacially on discovery (a electronic music opera about a alien band being kidnapped by a earthling businessman to make a f*load of money).Star

However i disagree in making a "prog-punk" genre. How paradoxical will that be?DeadCensored Punk emerged to be the exact opposite of progressive rock: prog rock main characteristic is its musical complexity and punk's main characteristic is its straightforward kind of music, with no kind of musical development whatsoever or with extremely low development.

However, some musical genres where influenced by punk, like thrash metal, death metal and black metal, and theren these genres where influenced by prog or the musicians simply grew musically, making more complex/well written music (like Death's front man Chuck Schuldiner), creating progressive black/death metal bands and prog related bands with thrash (like metallica, for instance).Smile
In the prog black/death metal case, the punk influence is so far away that the only thing that resemble it is the guitars speed (grindcore, crossover, etc) and vocals (also grindcore, crossover, bla bla bla), but that is controversial and the progressive elements (musical complexity, technicality, brand use of different instruments, etc) outshines the punk elements by far.Big%20smile
In the thrash side it is a bit more complicated, since thrash is still very close to punk and the only thing that i can imagine that can differ both is musical complexity (here, as well as in all times i used musical complexity I mean not only that the music is hard to play, that too, but not necessarily, i also meant development of the musical lines, creativity in its development, creating different musical themes and "cores", etc), like in metallica's ". . . and justice for all" and "master of puppets" albumsErmm

Another thing, some genres listed in this site are indeed VERY, VERY limited in both space and time (like the Canterbury scene and the krautrock, to me the TRUE kraut comes from Germany and Germany alone) some in space ( the Italian symphonic prog [ i really think that there is no need of making a exclusive genre for Italy, but i dont run this site so, well] and the zehul, limited almost exclusivelly to France and Japan  ) and some in time (the whole metal sub genres and the post rock/math rock), making it difficult to add different/new bands to the ones that are already listed. There must be, however, something still to uncover, but i really don't know.Confused

One last thing: the criteria to add bands to the site has confused me several time too. To me, iron maiden is not prog, nor black sabbath. They do make good music and in some cases share some features with prog but, lets face it, most bands, when they reach their top, have some kind of prog influence, and here i don't mean that they sound like prog or whatever, i only meand tha they got something proggy going on, anything and that, to me, should not be the reason to add bands here. Or you can add and make prog related metal/pop/folk/whatever, but that is just one more thing that i cant decide, since i dont run the site Cry

The only thing that is left is to do is to win the freaking loto and  spend the rest of your life listening to prog and cataloging it Hug


Edited by CCVP - March 20 2008 at 20:27
Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 20:41
Originally posted by Proletariat Proletariat wrote:

wow.... I agree!!!!

I got a kind of line, mainly staying in psyche influenced rock and hard rock, with a few (seemingly) random outskirts in other genres. seems like alot of electronica, hip-hop, indie, alternative, punk, funk etc. could be added (of course only the intelligent parts of each genre)



i think that to characterize the intelligent part of each genre you putted there as proggy is the theme of another forum room Tongue
Back to Top
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 18 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 7744
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 07:10
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:


However i disagree in making a "prog-punk" genre. How paradoxical will that be?DeadCensored

Never heard of Pronk? Give the Cardiacs a try.
Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 17:03
Quote
Never heard of Pronk? Give the Cardiacs a try.


Ok Shakespeare, ill explain to you how i cannot conceive progressive punk.

The world is made of opposites, which are the exact opposite of each other (a and non-a) and fight to destroy each other and, at the same time, are dependent of each other to exist, like the positive need the negative to exist and light needs the darkness to exist.  This theory is called dialectic, and was conceived by the Greek philosopher Socrates (if  i am not mistaken) and used  during most of the western civilization as it was, but during the the XVII and XIX centuries it was "reborn" by Hegel's philosophy, its followers and Marx. Their theories are far too extensive and far to hard to be shorten in such a small space, but, according to the historical  materialism, this dialectic always happened and forever will in every level of the society, culture and system of beliefs (if you wish to know more, try reading Marx and TRY Hegel; i mean TRY Hegel because its theories are far to complex and obscure, being hard even to philosophers to really understand him).

Knowing this, lets go to the facts: progressive music emerged during the XIX and the XX centuries due to musical conformity and homogeneity, basically. Same thing happened when progressive rock emerged, and it very fast became a mass culture thing (just see the top 10 list of the 70's: the top sellers where almost all prog or prog related and the repercussion of prog rock in popular culture: pink floyd's dark side of the moon and Mike Oldfield's tubular bells). However, prog rock had some problems:

1st a lot of bands with the exact same sound (just see how many yes-like / genesis-like / pink floyd-like / etc-like bands where);
2nd too many poor "prog" bands, like journey, styx, starcastle, etc made market get saturated with low quality "prog"
3rd some bands had a kind of music simply too avant-garde / complex / difficult to be listen, what, in the end, pushed away many people from prog
4th the change of the focus of the general culture on the late 70's, demanding some kind of music that where more "straight to the point" and spoke the language of the of the musically uneducated population (i don't mean here that people that listen to prog is "better" that everybody else, just that, to listen to some kinds of music you need to have some education, like classical music, progressive music, rock, etc, and  on early punk that education  was not needed, just like you don't need any kind of education to listen to 50 cent sing speak make sounds with his mouth about having sex with as many women as possible or getting rich or die trying) and talked about the urges of the new generation (like getting sedated, not going to school, wanting to get drunk and say f**k you to everybody: you, me, the Queen and God, just like the ramones and the sex pistols said, skilfully, on their songs).AngryThumbs%20DownCensoredUnhappyCry

Because of that, prog rock slowly died a horrible and painful death into the 80's, to "reborn" only on the early 90's, but not as strong as it was, just like happened to punk and just like will happen to metal, etc.Dead

Conclusion: because of being the main actor on  the fall of prog and its awful music, i think that punk has nothing to do with progressive rock as both were opposites of a dialectic relation during the 70's (the prog and the non-prog[punk]).

PS: before you guys crucify me, i must say that  prog rock never really, REALLY died, but that is a unique characteristic of our post-modern society: to keep "defeated" actors of the dialectic process alive, but that life is nothing more than an artificial life supported  by the unnatural demand of the people that participated of that movement. This is nothing more than a shallow and short explanation to the process that we live today on our post-modern world to keep things that we like "alive" artificially, just like a person that where on a coma and woke up: that person is alive, but will never be as strong, as intelligent nor as eager as it was before the coma (usually! every rule have its exception!).

Admin edit: fixed an error in the quote.


Edited by Angelo - March 23 2008 at 05:16
Back to Top
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: May 05 2007
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1319
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 00:56

^ The prog rock movement may have been the opposite to that of the punk movement, but as far as style goes, there is no rule that states which styles cannot be fused. If you need some evidence, listen to the Cardiacs, early Mars Volta, or even the avant-garde influenced post punk bands such as This Heat or Pere Ubu.



Edited by Sckxyss - March 20 2008 at 01:07
Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

^ The prog rock movement may have been the opposite to that of the punk movement, but as far as style goes, there is no rule that states which styles cannot be fused. If you need some evidence, listen to the Cardiacs, early Mars Volta, or even the avant-garde influenced post punk bands such as This Heat or Pere Ubu.



Some things: the punk MUSIC and not the punk MOVEMENT is what i was referring myself to, since the punk movement was, in its origin (ramones, and sex pistols), something to make MONEY (hell, the ramone guitarist invented the way they dressed and played, well, the way they played was influenced by the rolling stones, i mean, play like you cant care less about what you are doing, but anyway, to make MONEY and the sex pistols were assembled by Malcolm McLaren, a sex shop owner, to promote the clothing he was selling, so he assembled them  to make, well, MONEY), although  it became slowly  more complex. According to Wikipedia, "The Sex Pistols emerged as a response to what was perceived to be the' increasingly safe and bloated' progressive rock and manufactured pop music of the mid-1970s."

However, and i must agree with you here, there are no boundaries to musical influence but, in the case of Mars Volta, i think that it is only some kind of straightforward or direct prog. The other bands you listed here i do not know but i think that they fall in the same categories of progressive death and black metal, and here i will quote myself:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:



In the prog black/death metal case, the punk influence is so far away that the only thing that resemble it is the guitars speed (grindcore, crossover, etc) and vocals (also grindcore, crossover, bla bla bla), but that is controversial and the progressive elements (musical complexity, technicality, brand use of different instruments, etc) outshines the punk elements by far.



Here i meant to say that  for "pronk" the punk is still here, but the prog outshines it by far. Big%20smile

Besides, if that sub-genre (pronk and post punk) were so important in prog rock they would probably be listed here, since the owners of the site already gave themselves the trouble to list a especial sub-genre to Italian prog (to me, EXTREMELY unnecessary, but o well, Italy DOES have a large amount of prog production during the 70's, like Germany, France, UK. . . .), as well as experimental/ post metal (some of bands listed in this sub-genre are just the crossover of some prog rock genres with metal, like happens with orphaned land, which is NOT experimental NOR post metal, the band is progressive folk metal and should not be there, but i think that this sub-genre here needs only better guidelines and better explanation), heavy prog (that is indeed a good creation of the directors of the website, one of the few that i support since bands like Rush and Uriah Heep were some kind of "progressive hard rock"Thumbs%20Up) and technical/extreme progressive metal (this sub-genre needs to be better explained and have better guidelines, but its a great 1st step, since is undeniable that extreme metal is increasingly fusing itself with progressive rockThumbs%20Up).


Edited by CCVP - March 21 2008 at 17:34
Back to Top
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 06 2005
Location: popupControl();
Status: Offline
Points: 7606
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 20:18
there's more to discuss here than the prog-punk relationship, but...

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Besides, if that sub-genre (pronk and post punk) were so important in prog rock they would probably be listed here


this is my primary issue; that equal time isn't given to all varieties of music. Although punk started out as a direct attack on social values and dawdling prog (and don't straw man this very relevant genre by associating it purely with The Sex Pistols - they rode the wave but obscured a lot of *real* energy as they did) its influence almost immediately suffused our genre as evidenced by zillions of avant-bands starting from around '78, ie, POST PUNK, the term I largely used in ze first post.

just generally nothing can remain the direct antithesis of something else in a field like music where everything changes so quickly and borders are redefined - my first sentence said that much.

---

beyond this, let's continue to talk about what we feel to be under or over-represented on the archives, in a thoughtful way. =)
Back to Top
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 30 2006
Location: Pearland
Status: Offline
Points: 55400
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:07
I guess I'm one of few who think the musical areas covered on PA are just about right.. well-balanced, open-minded but reasonably conservative  ...musics such as Punk/Postpunk, Noise, Industrial, Minimalism and Experimental are represented here in, as laplace mentioned, many different ways (most recently Mathrock)



Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:36
Sorry to keep citing the sex pistols, its just that they are very important to the Brazilian punk scene, so i though it was also important elsewhere (for example the ratos de porão, the most well known Brazilian punk/crossover/hardcore/thrash, vocalist and front man João Gordo [Fat John in english] has stated many times that sex pistols were the most important band in punk rock ever). But anyway, i cant see how GG Allin, the clash and green day and the ramones influenced progressive rock in other way else then alternative rock and extreme metal.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I guess I'm one of few who think the musical areas covered on PA are just about right.. well-balanced, open-minded but reasonably conservative  ...musics such as Punk/Postpunk, Noise, Industrial, Minimalism and Experimental are represented here in, as laplace mentioned, many different ways (most recently Mathrock)



and i must agree here with Atavachron, since on the math rock/ alternative rock are meny bands who were deeply influenced by punk, since alternative rock is a direct punk (*sigh*) son. However what i think Laplace means in the 1st place is that some genre are better represented, and they are! Some genres like Symphonic prog, space rock, RIO/Avant-garde prog, progressive metal and extreme prog metal are indeed better represented than other sub-genres, like the indo/raga prog (possibly the most limited genre here) and the post rock/math rock.

For that are many reasons like i sayd before and here i will quote myself:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Another thing, some genres listed in this site are indeed VERY, VERY limited in both space and time (like the Canterbury scene and the krautrock, to me the TRUE kraut comes from Germany and Germany alone) some in space ( the Italian symphonic prog [ i really think that there is no need of making a exclusive genre for Italy, but i dont run this site so, well] and the zehul, limited almost exclusivelly to France and Japan  ) and some in time (the whole metal sub genres and the post rock/math rock), making it difficult to add different/new bands to the ones that are already listed. There must be, however, something still to uncover, but i really don't know.Confused



However there are another reasons, like the downfall of traditional rock and the rising of metal, since there are much more metal bands out there than rock bands, and the rebirth of prog as prog metal, which will probably be remembered, in 10 to 15 years, with the same warmth that symphonic prog was and will probably stand side to side with symphonic prog as the most important sub-genres in prog rock, what is almost visible today: just take a look in how many progressive metal bands there are in this site!
Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:38
Besides, i left a hint for the progressive electronic team i my 1st post.

FOR GOD SAKE FOLKS FROM PROGRESSIVE ELECTRONIC TEAM, JUST TAKE A LOOK IN DAFT PUNK'S DISCOVERY AND HUMAN AFTER ALL ALBUMS!
Back to Top
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 30 2006
Location: Pearland
Status: Offline
Points: 55400
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:52
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:


Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I guess I'm one of few who think the musical areas covered on PA are just about right.. well-balanced, open-minded but reasonably conservative  ...musics such as Punk/Postpunk, Noise, Industrial, Minimalism and Experimental are represented here in, as laplace mentioned, many different ways (most recently Mathrock)

and i must agree here with Atavachron, since on the math rock/ alternative rock are meny bands who were deeply influenced by punk, since alternative rock is a direct punk (*sigh*) son. However what i think Laplace means in the 1st place is that some genre are better represented, and they are! Some genres like Symphonic prog, space rock, RIO/Avant-garde prog, progressive metal and extreme prog metal are indeed better represented than other sub-genres, like the indo/raga prog (possibly the most limited genre here) and the post rock/math rock.


but understand how hard certain of us fought to have Mathrock even acknowledged as a legitimate entity..  Post/Mathrock not well-represented?  I think not...  some of these new genres will continue growing as will interest in them and it is a continuous effort to understand and properly archive them, you can't just say "OK, now we have a Raga or Postrock category that is as big and comprehensive as Symph"   It requires dedication and, mostly, work to give all areas their due   ..it also has to be the right time and the material must be available so it can be properly documented   ...someone has to do it, and they have to do it well




Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 22:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

but understand how hard certain of us fought to have Mathrock even acknowledged as a legitimate entity..  Post/Mathrock not well-represented?  I think not...  some of these new genres will continue growing as will interest in them and it is a continuous effort to understand and properly archive them, you can't just say "OK, now we have a Raga or Postrock category that is as big and comprehensive as Symph"   It requires dedication and, mostly, work to give all areas their due   ..it also has to be the right time and the material must be available so it can be properly documented   ...someone has to do it, and they have to do it well



all i meant is to say that math rock/post rock is not as big as some other sub-genres of prog rock, and with a reason: a sub-genre as new as that one and so "underground" takes a lot of trouble to be uncovered (they ain't underground for nothin' LOL).

However,  these genres don't have such a appeal as progressive metal have and most of that appeal i will grant to Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy and his filming neurosis: he documents everything that Dream Theater does and passes on to the fans, he is always giving interviews (as well as the rest of Dream Theater, except for John Myung LOL), constantly make world tours and each 2 years releases a brand new studio album. I bet that if a post rock/math rock band did like Dream Theater does they will attract a lot of attention to the genre.
Back to Top
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 30 2006
Location: Pearland
Status: Offline
Points: 55400
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 22:15
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

  I bet that if a post rock/math rock band did like Dream Theater does they will attract a lot of attention to the genre.


perhaps, or maybe many more people do and always will prefer melodic, cleaner music over the abrasive and sticky miasma of Mathrock  

Wink


Back to Top
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 15 2007
Location: Vitória, Brasil
Status: Offline
Points: 7971
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 22:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

  I bet that if a post rock/math rock band did like Dream Theater does they will attract a lot of attention to the genre.


perhaps, or maybe many more people do and always will prefer melodic, cleaner music over the abrasive and sticky miasma of Mathrock  

Wink




there are much more downers than you think dude: why does gothic, doom, sludge doom, depressive metal and funeral doom exists?

hell, i listened to doom metal and i almost wanted to kill myself! the atmosphere is so depressive that i almost lost my reason to live. AND IT WAS ONLY DOOM!!!!!! JUST IMAGINE SLUDGE DOOM, FUNERAL DOOM AND DEPRESSIVE METAL FOR GOD SAKE!!!!!!!

and there are many MANY doom bands around, just take a look : http://www.metal-archives.com/ (go on bands by genre and they click on doom)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.132 seconds.