Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRosetta & Dirge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosetta & Dirge
    Posted: March 21 2008 at 20:31
Hey. I have been getting into these two bands recently, and Im impressed. I haven't seen much talk about them here, hence the topics creation. They are both two exceptional post-metal bands, that I would suggest any fan of the genre look up.

So, any other fans here?

(P.S. Sorry if i put this in the wrong area. Feel free to move it as necassary)
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:39
We have discussed both bands quite a bit in the Post Rock/Metal thread in this section.

_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 21:42
Ah. Sorry then Embarrassed (but I wasn't about to sift through 59 pages of the topic, lol).

None the less, a little conversation of a couple of good bands never hurt. You a fan?

Edited by _JC_ - March 21 2008 at 21:54
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 22:03
I've yet to hear both bands. I'm reading a lot of good reviews about them as of late and I will sure check them out sometime soon.. 

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 22:25
Both are potentially good bands, but...

Rosetta's wake/Lift has too much vocals. When you're ready to sit back and enjoy some nice americanized Cult of Luna post metal, you just keep getting hammered by those extremely brutal vocals chords. I mean the guys voice is absolutely intense, but come on, too much of a god thing is in fact, a bad thing. The Gallilean States would also be good, but it's too hard to try and get both parts of the album playing at the exact... same... time.

Dirge is a great band, with especially great lyrics for apost metal band, but I dont know wh they have to throw in ten minuete drone sessions in some of their epic pieces, it's just so frustrating, especially with how good they're structured pieces are!

Both are not bad though...
_JC_ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 00:38
Eh, Im the exact opposite when it comes to Dirge's droning, it really builds the mood for me. However, it is a bit frustrating in the fact that there really isnt a Dirge song I can play for a "quick listen", lol.

As for Rosetta, I haven't bought Wake/Lift yet. I am a bit reluctant, mainly because I have both discs of the Galilean Satellites synced up on one CD.  Im afraid that I wont be able to enjoy Wake/Lift as much because of it possibly sounding thin in comparison. Though, regarding the Galilean Satellites, I synced up the discs using some computer program (ill link it here if I can find it) and it really makes a difference. HUGE wall of noise.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2008 at 06:09
I have an opinion based on numerous listenings to DIRGE "Wings..." and both ROSETTA studio efforts. All I have to say is that they're amazing. I like them far more than ISIS, NEUROSIS or CULT OF LUNA. Just more, dunno why. 4 stars without hesitation (vocals steal 1 star from max rating anyway )
 Post Reply Post Reply