Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUlver Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ulver Recommendations
    Posted: March 26 2008 at 18:43
Did a search didn't find anything...so...

I've recently purchased Blood Inside and I must say it is great. I love the atmosphere, the combination of electronic sounds/intstruments vs. real, the different genre influences, etc. After reading the bio for Ulver it seems they've done alot of stuff sound wise, so I am curious to know which other albums of Ulver's are similar to Blood Inside (in terms of sound/style)?

Or...if it would be easier, could someone write a brief outline on the dominent style of each of their albums (just like metal, folky, electronic would be fine)? (I figure the former would be better to ask first. Tongue)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Man With Hat - March 26 2008 at 19:59
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 15:35
Lack of Ulver fans or lack of albums that sound like BI?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 16:11
One more bump before the fade...
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 17:40
Im no Ulver expert, as I only own Blood Inside and Nattens Madrigal. The latter being from their Black Metal phase, but with so horrible production that it ruins the listening experience for me (rumours said it was recorded with a 4 track recorder in a forest here in Norway, and I wouldn't doubt it!). Their debut Bergtatt is far superior I've heard, production included, with more progressive and dynamic songs, and several acoustic sections as well. Kveldsanger is a beautiful acoustic Nordic folk album. I personally will pick these two up soon!

I haven't got a clue about the rest of their catalogueEmbarrassed But apparently, after Nattens Madrigal they turned into electronica/post-rock terretories alà Blood Inside.

Edited by Bj-1 - April 02 2008 at 17:42
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 15:33
I just got their latest album "Shadows Of The Sun" in mail today. So far I listened only once, but it's promising. I love the dark, minimalistic ambience of this work. I will need some more listenings to really get a good impression. Apart from this I own "Perdition City", an album that is utterly recommended if you love dark, desolate, electronic music, and "The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell" which I rarely listen to.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 12:58
I have not yet heard Shadows of the Sun but please do a favour to yourself and ...

BUY Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and HellStarStarStarStarStar

Edited by aapatsos - April 04 2008 at 13:01
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 17:37
First off, thank you all! Thumbs%20Up

Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Im no Ulver expert, as I only own Blood Inside and Nattens Madrigal. The latter being from their Black Metal phase, but with so horrible production that it ruins the listening experience for me (rumours said it was recorded with a 4 track recorder in a forest here in Norway, and I wouldn't doubt it!). Their debut Bergtatt is far superior I've heard, production included, with more progressive and dynamic songs, and several acoustic sections as well. Kveldsanger is a beautiful acoustic Nordic folk album. I personally will pick these two up soon!

I haven't got a clue about the rest of their catalogueEmbarrassed But apparently, after Nattens Madrigal they turned into electronica/post-rock terretories alà Blood Inside.

So check out Kveldsanger and avoid Nattens Madrigal...got it. Tongue

Originally posted by AngelRat AngelRat wrote:

I just got their latest album "Shadows Of The Sun" in mail today. So far I listened only once, but it's promising. I love the dark, minimalistic ambience of this work. I will need some more listenings to really get a good impression. Apart from this I own "Perdition City", an album that is utterly recommended if you love dark, desolate, electronic music, and "The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell" which I rarely listen to.

SOTS sounded interesting but the samples I've heard were just so-so. I'll probably wind up getting it eventually though. I'll look for samples of Perdition City.

Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I have not yet heard Shadows of the Sun but please do a favour to yourself and ...

BUY Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and HellStarStarStarStarStar

This was the one I was leaning towards next, I think, so it might happen that way. It's alittle pricier than the rest so I didn't want to jump straight into them by buying this one.

Thanks to all for the help thus far...my list continues to grow. TongueBig%20smileOuch
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 17:54
My favirote from them is Themes from Williams blakes the marriage... but everything else by them is also fantastic! Shadows of the sun is just so nice and easy to listen to, Bergtatt is just really good folky black metal, and though perdition city did disapoint me a bit, stilll the jazziness and dark electronics are so great!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 00:09
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

My favirote from them is Themes from Williams blakes the marriage... but everything else by them is also fantastic! Shadows of the sun is just so nice and easy to listen to, Bergtatt is just really good folky black metal, and though perdition city did disapoint me a bit, stilll the jazziness and dark electronics are so great!

Thumbs%20Up

Well, two glowing recs and awesome sounding samples leads to Themes...being my next Ulver purchase.

I'll probably get that folky one after that or PC depending on mood. TongueBig%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply