Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBig Generator or Abacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [46.34%]
22 [53.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:52
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

^^^I actually do throw on the Big Generator now and again... It has it's moments. No prog moments, that's for sure, but it has some fun moments none the less.Is it just me or was the riff from Almost Like Love stolen by Dream Theater for the opening riff to Root Of All Evil?

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000066 size=2>It's interesting looking back on that time and seeing how the 'big boys' managed to stay alive and being the talents that they are, you are going to see and hear some brilliant moments within that music even though it was a time of incredible comprimize for them....................Now, off to think of another poll..............must make it interesting and maybe even a bit out of the ordinary....................Wink

Skaldowie?! haha...Tormato VS Invisible Touch haha.. Drama VS Wind and Wuthering..
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:53

It's interesting looking back on that time and seeing how the 'big boys' managed to stay alive and being the talents that they are, you are going to see and hear some brilliant moments within that music even though it was a time of incredible comprimize for them

yeah basically

BG is okay, a few good moments.. but Abacab is unique, beautifully recorded and has some great cuts

Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^^^I actually do throw on the Big Generator now and again... It has it's moments. No prog moments, that's for sure, but it has some fun moments none the less.Is it just me or was the riff from Almost Like Love stolen by Dream Theater for the opening riff to Root Of All Evil?

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000066 size=2>It's interesting looking back on that time and seeing how the 'big boys' managed to stay alive and being the talents that they are, you are going to see and hear some brilliant moments within that music even though it was a time of incredible comprimize for them....................Now, off to think of another poll..............must make it interesting and maybe even a bit out of the ordinary....................Wink

Skaldowie?! haha...Tormato VS Invisible Touch haha.. Drama VS Wind and Wuthering..

Tormato blows away Invisible touch..................just blows it away...........Just for 'On the Silent Wings of Freedom' alone not to mention a few other gems on that disc. Drama vs Wind and Wuthering would be more apt I think. I like both of those albums and I love Tormato.......................Shocked
bucky01403 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:08
Abacab was my first experience with Genesis, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. 

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." -- Josef Stalin
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:30

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000066 size=2>Tormato blows away Invisible touch..................just blows it away...........Just for 'On the Silent Wings of Freedom' alone not to mention a few other gems on that disc. Drama vs Wind and Wuthering would be more apt I think. I like both of those albums and I love Tormato.......................Shocked

I'm trying to get into Tormato but it seems an amateur album, not saying it's pop but it's really nothing compared to Yes standards. The playing and singing are really weak. The keyboards are awful and weak. What else?..   Oh sorry I meant Tormato VS Genesis(shapes)... I'm no Genesis hard fan so I'll go for Drama of course..
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:51

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000066 size=2>Tormato blows away Invisible touch..................just blows it away...........Just for 'On the Silent Wings of Freedom' alone not to mention a few other gems on that disc. Drama vs Wind and Wuthering would be more apt I think. I like both of those albums and I love Tormato.......................Shocked

I'm trying to get into Tormato but it seems an amateur album, not saying it's pop but it's really nothing compared to Yes standards. The playing and singing are really weak. The keyboards are awful and weak. What else?..   Oh sorry I meant Tormato VS Genesis(shapes)... I'm no Genesis hard fan so I'll go for Drama of course..

Tormato unlike many of YES' works is very loose in that you can hear more of the individual musicians at work. You could feel things changing within the band as I recall and Tormato just turned out to be just one more way the group could go. I know of no other band that shows the kind of versatility that YES shows and that is one of the things I treasure in this group. They give you a different look and their music is very consistant wherever they go. Put it another way. The Band YES is a talent that few really understand and for those of us who do, well, it's a treat.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 01:27

The playing and singing are really weak. The keyboards are awful and weak. What else?..   

You have got to be kidding me.  The keys are the one redeeming feature on this album.  It's not Fragile or CTTE, but you can find lots of things that you could more justly complain about than the keys.
Mind Drive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 07:22
I chose Big Generator for two reasons, "I'm Running" and "Shoot High Aim Low" which are far better than anything on ABACAB.  For me ABACAB is the most dissapointing album by Genesis.  I actually play Invisible Touch much more than ABACAB.  There just isn't much on this album that makes me want to play it.
zbida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 07:44
Big Generator. One of the worst albums ever released. Simply awful.
Abacab. One of the most irritating album ever released. But still better than Generator.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 07:56
I had an open mind when 90210 came out, but by the time Big Genitalrator came out I had quit following new Yes and have never actually heard it.  I think Abacab gets less respect around here than it deserves.  Whodunnit is also a popular song to pick on, but I always thought it was neat little silly song.  Anyone who takes that song seriously should be tickle tortured to death. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 31 2008 at 07:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 08:07
'Abacab' at a push. They are both very dissapointing albums. At least Abacab has 'Me & Sarah Jane' and 'Dodo' which are ok.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 12:46
^ I agree totally. Big Generator has nothing comparable to "Dodo."

Edited by progaardvark - March 31 2008 at 12:46
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 13:15
 To be shot or to be hanged?LOL
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 14:50

Growing up in the '80s and loving the prog of the '70s, I was excited to hear about new albums from my favorite bands, like Genesis, Yes, Tull, King Crimson, etc.  So I view albums like Abacab, BG, 90125, Under Wraps, with some nostalgia.  No, they're not as good as what came before, or in some cases after, but for me they still hit that nice little spot.  Crimson doesn't seem to have dropped off nearly as much--in fact Discipline, from that same era, is one of my favorite KC albums.

darksideof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 15:02
Abacab 100% even though it isn't Genesis greatest prog achievement. it is a  good album and 100 % better than big Generator. however Abacab is their weakest Prog album.
Big Generator was a big disappointment that I could keep the album for no more than a week after I bought it back it came out.
http://darksideofcollages.blogspot.com/
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darksideof-Collages/
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

The playing and singing are really weak. The keyboards are awful and weak. What else?..   

You have got to be kidding me. The keys are the one redeeming feature on this album. It's not Fragile or CTTE, but you can find lots of things that you could more justly complain about than the keys.

I didn't want to say weak, well yes!...but also rather than weak they're not Yes stylish the keyboards, they're really disgusting IMO.
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 17:35
This is a serious case of "Pick your poison", but having said that I prefer Yes West any time over PC pop Genesis, so I prefer Big Generator, even if it's among the worst albums of Yes.
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 19:28
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

This is a serious case of "Pick your poison", but having said that I prefer Yes West any time over PC pop Genesis, so I prefer Big Generator, even if it's among the worst albums of Yes.

Enough saidClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12