Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBig Generator or Abacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [46.34%]
22 [53.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Generator or Abacab
    Posted: March 29 2008 at 11:44
Thx for the 90125 or Duke poll this comes from the same vein, in this case both are the weakest pop/prog albums from those bands. (not counting Invisible Touch neither Union)

So, Which!?

I love Abacab(the song), but as an album I think it's a major failure from the really good Duke.

Big Generator is a bad atempt of 90125, even though I really love Big Generator (the song)

Prog track VS Pop Trach IMC(in my case)
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 12:20
YUCK... neither
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 12:36
Neither as well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 12:39
hehe
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:10
Shoot High Aim Low..........
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:15
ABACAB is a major if unappreciated work.  You guys don't deserve to appreciate the genius of that album.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:28
I love Abacab. Not a big fan of "Whodunnit", but otherwise a fine disc.

E
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:42
I used to like Abacab, including Whodunnit Wink . Snow Dog (where has he gone?) and I used to be member of the Whodunnit Appreciation Society LOL . I must say, though, that I haven't listened to Abacab in a long time, nor do I feel the desire to do that, so that says something as well.

I think Abacab is not a bad album. They were covering new ground, which was good. It's not one of my top favourite albums, and not to everybody's taste either, and most of the albums before were better, but the songs are well written, and I think the album is superior to any of the Genesis albums that followed.

I agree with you, Cacho, about Big Generator. In my ears it's a bad carbon copy of 90125, though there are some good songs on the album.

Edited by Moogtron III - March 29 2008 at 13:43
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:48
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I used to like Abacab, including Whodunnit Wink . Snow Dog (where has he gone?) and I used to be member of the Whodunnit Appreciation Society LOL . I must say, though, that I haven't listened to Abacab in a long time, nor do I feel the desire to do that, so that says something as well.

I think Abacab is not a bad album. They were covering new ground, which was good. It's not one of my top favourite albums, and not to everybody's taste either, and most of the albums before were better, but the songs are well written, and I think the album is superior to any of the Genesis albums that followed.

I agree with you, Cacho, about Big Generator. In my ears it's a bad carbon copy of 90125, though there are some good songs on the album.

ha good to say that ...I agree that Abacab is their last best effort, even though it's not really 'best' but still has some good stuff, like mmm Tormato?...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:55
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I used to like Abacab, including Whodunnit Wink . Snow Dog (where has he gone?) and I used to be member of the Whodunnit Appreciation Society LOL . I must say, though, that I haven't listened to Abacab in a long time, nor do I feel the desire to do that, so that says something as well.

ha good to say that ...I agree that Abacab is their last best effort, even though it's not really 'best' but still has some good stuff, like mmm Tormato?...

Tormato is an excellent comparison Thumbs%20Up .
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 13:55

Tormato is an excellent comparison Thumbs%20Up .

ha great thx.. ..have in mind that I'm not saying that Tormato is their last best effort, but in sound and somehow in time are similar.. Cause for me Drama is there real last best effort and it's really awsome, a pitty IMO the vocals. Although I love Magnification and parts from The Ladder.

Edited by cacho - March 29 2008 at 13:57
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 14:02

ha great thx.. ..have in mind that I'm not saying that Tormato is their last best effort, but in sound and somehow in time are similar.. Cause for me Drama is there real last best effort and it's really awsome, a pitty IMO the vocals. Although I love Magnification and parts from The Ladder.

I agree, and personally I happen to be a big fan of 90125.   
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 14:05

ahh a 90125 fan mmm..haha.. I never could get into 90125 (it's not something to make me proud of), maybe it's cause I haven't lived in those days I'm a new millenium kid with the luck of having the 60's 70's taste
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 14:36
Abacab is not that bad.. I really do not like big generator.. 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 15:26
Shoot High and aim low my friends.... I prefer BG way over Abacab any day.

At lest BG didnt have drum machines.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 15:39
Well at least Big Generator is a bit better than Open Your Eyes Dead but Abascab and Generating some extra money are really a low point for two pretty good bands..............I guess using a drum machine takes the cake though. It was a really shakey time for music and to be honest I kind of shut the whole experience out. I never listen to either album, in fact I don't own either one them.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 15:54
^^^

I actually do throw on the Big Generator now and again... It has it's moments. No prog moments, that's for sure, but it has some fun moments none the less.

Is it just me or was the riff from Almost Like Love stolen by Dream Theater for the opening riff to Root Of All Evil?
Paper Champion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 16:48
Genesis for me again.
Abacab is a weak album, but Big Generator was just the most bizarre thing ever made by Yes.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 17:25

ahh a 90125 fan mmm..haha.. I never could get into 90125 (it's not something to make me proud of), maybe it's cause I haven't lived in those days I'm a new millenium kid with the luck of having the 60's 70's taste

Well, don't be ashamed, new millennium kid. Wink After all, the best taste to have is a '60's and '70's taste   Cool

LOL
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:47
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

^^^

I actually do throw on the Big Generator now and again... It has it's moments. No prog moments, that's for sure, but it has some fun moments none the less.

Is it just me or was the riff from Almost Like Love stolen by Dream Theater for the opening riff to Root Of All Evil?

It's interesting looking back on that time and seeing how the 'big boys' managed to stay alive and being the talents that they are, you are going to see and hear some brilliant moments within that music even though it was a time of incredible comprimize for them....................Now, off to think of another poll..............must make it interesting and maybe even a bit out of the ordinary....................Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>