Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTale of two Times

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you prefer a more modern work or a older one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [78.26%]
5 [21.74%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tale of two Times
    Posted: March 29 2008 at 18:55

I love both of these works so much and I would be hard pressed to choose just one. After all, given 10 songs for the desert island, they both make it. So, what do you think, old or new?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 19:41
I've never much liked Beethoven's Sixth; I've heard it enough. A very good symphony, no doubt, but didn't connect in any profound way,  Give me Ludwig van's glorious Ninth and Seventh (with von Karajan conducting).  Though I was raised on Beethoven, I think it was the movies Clockwork Orange (9th) and Zardoz (second movement of 7th) that really got me into Beethoven.  I'd love to hijack this thread with some Zardoz ("the gun is good") and Clockwork Orange discussion, but I won't.  In this case I will go with Yes (though neither particularly appeals to me).

Edited by Logan - March 29 2008 at 20:49
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 20:29
Pastorale here. I love most of it. The Revealing Science of God is ok at times, but I find it a bit uninteresting.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 23:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've never much liked Beethoven's Sixth; I've heard it enough. A very good symphony, no doubt, but didn't connect in any profound way,  Give me Ludwig van's glorious Ninth and Seventh (with von Karajan conducting).  Though I was raised on Beethoven, I think it was the movies Clockwork Orange (9th) and Zardoz (second movement of 7th) that really got me into Beethoven.  I'd love to hijack this thread with some Zardoz ("the gun is good") and Clockwork Orange discussion, but I won't.  In this case I will go with Yes (though neither particularly appeals to me).

"I'd love to hijack this thread with some Zardoz ("the gun is good") and Clockwork Orange discussion, but I won't."

Hey, feel free. I don't think this thread is going to go very far anyway LOL
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 23:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Have to agree with you about the 7th and 9th. I do like the 6th, but it's not on the same level. 9th beats just about everything hands down. But I prefer Leopold Stokowski, and Gorg Solti to Karajan.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 01:23
I'd take the sixth any day.  The best of the even numbered symphonies.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 01:42
the 8th is pretty good^ but ill take the revealing science of god over the 6th. if it was the 3rd, 5th, 7th, or 9th.. Beethoven would have mopped the floor with Yes but.. im not really a fan of his 6th.
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 03:02
I voted for Yes, but the 4th movement of the 9th would get my vote over Revealing Science of God. 

Was it the first Prog rock song ever? Smile
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 04:47
Beethoven's Sixth by a long shot, one of the greatest composers ever; the compositional standards of Yes don't even come close to that of Beethoven. And yeah, I would say it was the very first prog song, it's very easy on prog ears compared to most classical pieces.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by kibble_alex kibble_alex wrote:

Beethoven's Sixth by a long shot, one of the greatest composers ever; the compositional standards of Yes don't even come close to that of Beethoven. And yeah, I would say it was the very first prog song, it's very easy on prog ears compared to most classical pieces.

I agree that Beethoven's work is excellent but I do disagree with your assessment of YES and their work. Music is music and I'm sure that if even Mozart was here today, he would enjoy much of what is produced today and that includes YES.
 Post Reply Post Reply