Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFond Of Tigers (Canada)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fond Of Tigers (Canada)
    Posted: March 30 2008 at 11:33
Fond Of Tigers are a Canadian band I recently discovered and got enthusiastic about and I though I'd share it here with you all.

Links:
http://www.fondoftigers.com
http://www.myspace.com/fondoftigers
http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=13097

Here's the bio Rico wrote for them:

The band called FOND OF TIGERS, bonded and crystallized in Vancouver, Canada (and sometimes even spending more time there than anywhere else), is intriguing and complex from top to bottom - which means, of course, from their basic sound and energy to their deep essence of an art and a boxed heavy style. With two albums released so far, showing two steps towards maturity and eccentricity in the same balanced way, and enough appearances that sparked interest (though, you almost have to be a hard fan to hear the beast about their stage performances), this band is raved in a very good sense of being raved: powerful and pleasant, tough to described and to shrink their extensive work and manner, it can hit the soft progressive spot as well, especially because there's much more than a style and a direction that are followed, and much more than a limit or two that are broken.

With its beginnings in 2003, the years of foundation, promotions and eventually finalize the debut are less known than the recent two, when the two albums were consecutively released. "A Thing To Live With", the first, would be the kind of perspective debut, with already powerful hints of style and play, and with decisive pieces and cracking elements in the process, but "Release the Saviour", released 2007, got a lot stronger vibes and positive marks from listeners and critics, surfacing a work that's hardly for the easy or traditional tastes. Both album have the FOND OF TIGERS septet in it, made of guitarist Stephen Lyons, violinist Jesse Zubot, drummers Skye Brookes and Dan Gaucher, trumpeter JP Carter, pianist Morgan McDonald. and bassist Shato Bhattacharya. Zubot is the artist who produced "Released..." and assured a contract with Drip Audio, being taken as an "odd, mad scientist" in his part of the music. Trumpeter Carter adds a special vibe to the music's mix, especially when the sound is filtering jazz, being quite the exotic type of instrumental, along the violin and its strange "lyric" the drum-duo, however, is also highly appreciated.
'
The act endures several visions of how to rock, jazz, groove and experiment, which is best proved by the music's heavy explosions, but the centrepiece seems to be accurate: "complicated music", "challenging rock", "theatrical pacing". The ensemble actually works both together as well as in separate groups, still, when it comes to the main albums, the full force is there on the spot. The style is provocative and difficult to describe in its entire kick-offs. Overall, jazz-rock, art-rock, avant-rock, noise/groove, indie/post or experimental/free-style are the main links to FOND OF TIGERS's "fusion", inside a work and several performance that simply have the "sin" of hyperkinetic, hard-thrust and hyper-artistic music. Jason Keller from NOW Magazine explains the feeling properly: "These Vancouver instro-improvisers are that rare breed of band that can chameleon its way into a jazz festival, get props from that set, then open for a Tortoise-type indie heavyweight and have the back-of-the-club beard-strokers tapping a toe in approval"

In regards to modern (somehow alternative) progressive rock, FOND OF TIGERS's chemistry stays quite the same (thus, also still hard to classify, given the complexity), finding it prog rock meaning to go well with the idea of such a loaded and artistic type of chock rock inside the big progressive movement. In fact, progressive is considered the complexity and the skills which mobilize the musical prism, while the musical melodies, the sudden sound-scrapes or the collective passion for improvisations are a different thing.

With keen and impulsive rolls of improvisations and avant-expressions, plus with the loud range from art/tech rock to noise and post, FOND OF TIGERS is generally an excellent sign of new prog and, overall, rock, even if it might give rash to a couple of listeners, in case the experience gets unfortunately dizzy and opaque. This band is, incidentally, somewhat part of the genre of alternative, experimental or jazz-metrical art-rock, but, again, the complexity and shine in such music has all the chances of hiding an outstanding, bombastic achievement.

(sources include reviews and notes)
:::Victor “Philip” Parau(Ricochet):::

And this text is from Drip Audio:

Fond Of Tigers
A Thing To Live With

1. The Suburbs Are For Lovebirds – 2:46
2. North – 4:47
3. Elkore – 5:11
4. A Thing To Live With That Will Live With You – 6:11
5. Here, You Are Hated – 5:51
6. Here You Are, Hated – 7:41
(mp3)
7. Parade Rehearsal – 13:20

The debut release from Vancouver's Fond Of Tigers, A Thing To Live With, is a diverse and challenging listen that defies simple genre classification. In just under 50 minutes, the band (variously described in print as "compelling", "eclectic", "transcendent", "hypnotic", and "post-everything") moves between sounds which reference prog-rock freakouts, pastoral, back-porch picking, wonky jazz, hardcore math-metal, and ambient drone, without ever coming across as a pastiche act. The material on 'a thing to live' with was recorded live, with all the musicians and amplifiers in one room, by Jesse Gander at the Hive.

Fond of Tigers have been developing a complicated, beautiful sound since 2003. Featuring seven of Vancouver’s leading creative musicians, Fond of Tigers play a layered, nuanced music that explores musical possibilities ranging from the smallest gesture of extended technique, to the full avant-rock bombast possible with a wild, double-drum-kit-led septet. Although admitting that “jazz purists will find little to comfort them”, Coda magazine named the group’s debut recording, a thing to live with (Drip Audio) “one of the best releases of 2006”. In just under 50 minutes, the band (variously described in print as "compelling", "eclectic", "transcendent", "hypnotic", and "post-everything") showcases their visceral combination of meticulous odd-time composition and improvisational abandon, resulting in a sometimes confusing, always exhilarating ordered chaos.

This dynamic and adventurous 7-piece inhabits an undefined space somewhere in the outlands of avant-rock. Fond Of Tigers is made up of some of Vancouver’s finest, young and creative musicians on the scene today. They are: Stephen Lyons (Heartwarmongering) on guitar, Morgan McDonald (The Buttless Chaps) on keyboards, JP Carter (Inhabitants, Great Aunt Ida) on trumpet, Skye Brooks (Inhabitants, Kevin House) on drums, Dan Gaucher (The Buttless Chaps, October Trio) on drums, Jesse Zubot (Zubot & Dawson, LaConnor) on violin and Shanto Battacharya (Field) on bass.

Press:

"...instrumental wonders...atmospheric and very Chicago." - The Globe and Mail

"...kaleidoscopic prog rock laced with out-jazz, barbed-wire noise and ambient weirdness..." - Paris Transatlantic Magazine

"...just the right touch of dissonance and improvising possessed by the spirit of No Wave." - Signal To Noise

"...a fairly spry album that doesn't waste a minute." - NOW Magazine

"...a perfect ice-breaker for out-jazzers and disaffected hipsters." - Down Beat

"...a new sound, and a mark of true genius." - Terminal City

"Far from using well-worn copies of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue as a touchstone, this septet sounds like Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin or the late composer Ligeti are more logical starting points for its sonic forays.  Adventurous, exciting and frequently off its nut, the band can rock hard while getting its improv on, making it a fit at an outside indie gig or at a jazz show.  The twin drummer set-up all but ensures a driving beat turns up most times, but there are many moments of quite introspection, too." - The Province (Vancouver)

Press:

Live Concert Review: All About Jazz (Victoriaville '07)
Album Review: NOW Magazine

Album Review: Left Hip Magazine
Album Review: Eye Weekly
Feature/Interview: Panpot.ca
Album Review: Coda Magazine
Album Review: Paris Transatlantic Magazine
Album Review: textura.org
Album Review: CokeMachineGlow
Album Review: Exclaim! (#2)
Interview: The Nerve Magazine
Album Review: Tyee Magazine
Interview: The Georgia Straight
Album Review: Exclaim! (#1)

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 22:26
When you're Fond Of Tigers, your thread sinks fast...

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 23:29
i might be fond of tigers . . . maybe this bump will help people become fond of your thread assaf  Wink
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 23:43
Hehe, thanks Mike.

Have a listen to their Myspace tracks, not bad stuff

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 23:14
bump
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 11:16
Just don't taunt them or they will jump over the zoo wall and tear your face off. Shocked
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 12:19
There is a free download of one of their tracks off of the A Thing to Live With CD on the Drip Audio website.  There are a number of CDs listed for other avant/jazz type bands with some containing either MP3 Excerpts or full MP3s which might be of interest to some of you.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 12:50
I have finally gotten their two albums; pretty nice and experimental stuff.

What do you make of them, Scott?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 09:49
My initial impression was that I liked what I heard on their MySpace page, so I downloaded their 2 albums from eMusic.  I listened to A Thing to Live With this morning and really didn't like it all that much.  It seemed like they would create a really cool riff (for lack of a more knowledgeable term) and then would just repeat it over and over and over again throughout the entire song.  They would move on to the next song and come up with another cool riff and then just repeat it over and over again too.  In my defense, I am Fond of the Detroit Tigers and I was at the game last night where they lost 6-3 to the Boston Red Sox.  This was their 4th straight loss after sweeping the Yankees, and it has put me in a bit of a foul mood.  As I have mentioned before, I am not a big fan of all instrumental works unless they are really dynamic and grab me, and this one didn't do it. 

I guess I also really didn't hear the rock in progressive rock with this album.  But it was early this morning, and I was half asleep and in a bit of a bad mood so it may have just not worked for me at that moment in time. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 13:24
I gave both albums a listen this morning (being in a fairly better mood since the Tigers beat the Red Sox 10-9 last night, although the road to victory was paved with landmines).  Some parts are really good, but I kept having the skipping record feeling I eluded to in my previous post.  Although I was listening to these on CD and I haven't listened to actual records in 20 years, but I seriously had moments where I thought that "the record" was skipping because they repeated the same set of notes over and over so many consecutive times.  I suppose this might happen often enough with other things I listen to but I don't notice as much because there are lyrics to listen to instead or something.  Or it is just me being me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply