Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Queen + Paul Rodgers announce "The Cosmos Rocks"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen + Paul Rodgers announce "The Cosmos Rocks"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen + Paul Rodgers announce "The Cosmos Rocks"
    Posted: March 30 2008 at 12:06
The first Queen + Paul Rodgers album will be called The Cosmos Rocks and will be released September 1, 2008.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7306006.stm

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 13:02
That's not Queen.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 14:00
Interesting that Rodgers does not appear to be considered a member of the band.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 14:10
Interesting that they really wanted to distinguish between Freddy Queen and this new Queen. I'm still excited about the album, I saw them on tour a couple years ago and quite liked the performance. We just need to accept that there can be no more Freddy Queen and just move on.

Although I do agree that they're milking the Queen name with what they've been up to lately.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 21:19
It is understandable that some will consider it inappropriate to continue using the Queen moniker, but May & Taylor were not just sidemen in the group, and Deacon has yet to say anything negative. And the fact that they still call themselves Paul Rodgers & Queen might just show that they want to illustrate the "new" era. And let's not forget, in the rock world, a band's name is its' brand name. There are ridiculous extremes out there. Foghat (yes, I know they are really nowhere close to prog, but they're a good example) is actually out there playing gigs. Their lead singer Lonesome Dave Peverett & Lead Guitarist Rod Price have been dead for years. And the only "original" members are the bass player & drummer. Neither of whom were major song contributors. Or Foreigner with Mick Jones & Bass guy Wills who joined on IV. Of course, we could start on the chapters in the Genesis  story. Was Genesis still Genesis when Anthony Philips left ? Was Phil Collins arrival as the drummer the end ? And of course the completely inane debate as to whether the four other members of the group had any right to continue using their band's name after Peter left.

If you feel strongly about the name, fine. But in the end, why not wait and see if the music is worth it. And having the name Queen attached to it just means it'll get more attention than Kayo Dot's next release, that's all.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 18:15
I wasn't too fond of the single they released a while ago, but hopefully I'll like the album more. I do love Queen so of course I'll be giving it a shot, even if two key members aren't involved. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 21:22
I wish they would do a US tour..
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 19:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ovN40FwRI
How awesome does that new song sound. Im so excited for th new album....
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 21:05
I think they should either call themselves Queen or think of another name, sounds a bit strange "Queen and Paul Rogers"
That said, Paul Rogers is a great vocalist (one of the best in rock) and Im keen to hear the new album
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 10:39
They can call the band Free the Queen or In Bad Company with The Queen. 

I agree with debrewguy regarding the name game with a band like Genesis.  Or even more so King Crimson, who hardly ever put out an album with the same lineup as the previous album (if they did any at all). 

And of course, what if Rush had to change their name after John Rutsey left and Neil Peart joined.  They've had that same lineup forever but Rush + Neil Peart might not have had the same effect. 
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 18:11
I like the song I heard (C-lebrity) it sounds like a cross between Tie Your Mother Down with some Deep Purple/Led Zeppelin style riffing (IMO of course). But Queen often has instant recognisable sounds, the kassatil sound at the end they really shouldn't have done :)

Cool, but I don't know if i will actually be swayed into buying it.
 Post Reply Post Reply